Author Topic: The Carolina Sandhills Lines in HO Scale  (Read 300030 times)

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6786
The Carolina Sandhills Lines in HO Scale
« on: April 30, 2017, 03:24:04 PM »
+3
I'm just going to start a thread to do some brainstorming.  I cannot even begin building benchwork until the Seaboard Central 2.0 goes to its new home.  My plan is to leave it in place, so that I can show the new owner how to hook up and run the DCC system, how to fold up the staging yard, and how to take the layout apart for shipping.  Since photos for documentation would be wise, so he can put it back together, I'm leaving the layout in place until it goes bye-bye.

Until then, I have a lot of trackplanning to do.  Here's the inspiration, but it will be expanded out to approximately 6' x 10' plus a folding staging yard to lengthen the yard tracks and tail track for the wye.  I'm going to build this in no less than four sections (a la MR's Beer Line project railroad), so that I can get it out of the basement some day.  I also want to expand the two passing sidings to two locomotives and ten freight cars.  HO scale has curved turnouts which will make this cake.

Hey, we gotta start somewhere.

DFF
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 04:56:43 AM by davefoxx »

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1154
Re: HO Scale Seaboard Central 3.0
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 03:30:37 PM »
+1
I like it, however, that switchback does nothing for me.  I would take it out entirely and leave the space for scenery or a simpler siding/industry.  Some creative work there would make the layout seem much larger than it is.

The wye design is kind of neat. 

crrcoal

• Crew
  • Respect: +80
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 03:47:23 PM by crrcoal »

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +1022
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 04:06:26 PM »
I wonder if in HO scale, something other then an Island track plan would better use your available space... a ~4x8 with aisles all around really eats up real estate in a way that a N scale HCD doesn't...

Some food for thought...

http://www.layoutvision.com/id56.html

http://www.layoutvision.com/id58.html

http://www.layoutvision.com/gallery/id51.html
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

LIRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +1790
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 04:13:10 PM »
I agree with Ryan, if you put the left side of the plan up against a wall you could make the layout longer by whatever that aisle would be (24", 30"?)

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8645
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 04:16:13 PM »
Take a look at this for some inspiration...

https://hitopbranchmodelrr.com/history-of-the-secondary/about/

Trackplan
http://mrr.trains.com/-/media/Files/PDF/trackplans/2016/03/HOscalePennCentralHitopBranch.pdf

That's a nice layout!  My only criticism (besides the cramped track) are the puffball trees.  Otherwise I like it a lot!

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 04:19:27 PM »
I wonder if in HO scale, something other then an Island track plan would better use your available space... a ~4x8 with aisles all around really eats up real estate in a way that a N scale HCD doesn't...

Some food for thought...

It would.  But, because of issues beyond my control, I cannot put the funds necessary to finish off the layout room.  Yes, I could build temporary walls to support a backdrop, but I just don't want to build that large of a layout.  I'm proud of what I did with an HCD in N scale, and I think I could do the same with this in HO.

Thanks,
DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 04:22:15 PM »
Take a look at this for some inspiration...

https://hitopbranchmodelrr.com/history-of-the-secondary/about/

Trackplan
http://mrr.trains.com/-/media/Files/PDF/trackplans/2016/03/HOscalePennCentralHitopBranch.pdf

That's a nice layout!  My only criticism (besides the cramped track) are the puffball trees.  Otherwise I like it a lot!

I'm very familiar with the plan, and I've seen the Virginian layout in person at MR headquarters.  That's well done.  I do think the track plan is too cramped for my tastes, though.

Thanks,
DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 04:24:12 PM »
I like it, however, that switchback does nothing for me.  I would take it out entirely and leave the space for scenery or a simpler siding/industry.  Some creative work there would make the layout seem much larger than it is.

The wye design is kind of neat.

Yeah, the switchback could go, and I'd do something more along the lines of the branch I had on the Seaboard Central 2.0, if it will fit.  I really like that wye, too.  Since my room is long, I will be able to lengthen that tail track and the yard tracks with a folding shelf attached to that end of the layout.

Thanks,
DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2017, 04:25:44 PM »
I agree with Ryan, if you put the left side of the plan up against a wall you could make the layout longer by whatever that aisle would be (24", 30"?)

Very true.  That should work in my space, too.  I'll take that into consideration.

Thanks,
DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2017, 04:40:59 PM »
+1
The fleet is growing.  In possession, I have an Athearn Genesis L&N (Family Lines scheme) GP40-2 No. 6614 with DCC/sound and an Athearn Genesis Frisco 50' PC&F box car.  Oh, and in the byackground, you can see my NCE wireless DCC system that I will use to run the new layout.

I also placed an order this afternoon for an Atlas SCL GP40 No. 1539 with DCC/sound and an Atlas SCL extended vision caboose No. 05756.  That should take care of the necessary motive power for some time, and a train needs a caboose.  I'll add more freight cars as I find good deals.

DFF
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 02:01:25 PM by davefoxx »

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

crrcoal

• Crew
  • Respect: +80
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2017, 04:44:27 PM »
Yes the Hitop layout is a little crampled, however its just to give you an idea of what you can do. You can go a little wider and longer so something like that wouldn't rally be as cramped.
That being said; what about using your old plan and adapting it to HO? Wouldn't have to be spot on but have that same flavor so to speak.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2017, 04:53:13 PM »
Yes the Hitop layout is a little crampled, however its just to give you an idea of what you can do. You can go a little wider and longer so something like that wouldn't rally be as cramped.
That being said; what about using your old plan and adapting it to HO? Wouldn't have to be spot on but have that same flavor so to speak.

The original Seaboard Central was an HO scale layout.  I want to take pieces of it and improve on it with elements of the Bedford Valley plan.  I really like that yard/wye design and the way the tracks in Bedford are angled, so it's not just a "paper clip"-shaped track plan.

Here's the original Seaboard Central:

DFF
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 04:54:53 PM by davefoxx »

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1154
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2017, 04:59:20 PM »
Sound or it didn't happen  :trollface:

The fleet is growing.  In possession, I have an Athearn Genesis L&N (Family Lines scheme) GP40-2 No. 6614 with DCC/sound and an Athearn Genesis Frisco 50' PC&F box car.  Oh, and in the background, you can see my NCE wireless DCC system that I will use to run the new layout.

I also placed an order this afternoon for an Atlas SCL GP40 No. 1539 with DCC/sound and an Atlas SCL extended vision caboose No. 05756.  That should take care of the necessary motive power for some time, and a train needs a caboose.  I'll add more freight cars as I find good deals.

DFF

conrail98

• Crew
  • Respect: +40
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2017, 05:00:48 PM »
You could always do one of those Byron Henderson layouts and put it on casters so while it's "not an island" it can still be moved around some and it really wouldn't matter if your space if finished finished or not. Also, take a look at the Heart of Georgia layout, http://hogrr.blogspot.com/. Quick and simple made from a few 1x3s, 2x2s and one sheet of foam,

Phil
- Phil