Author Topic: Weekend Update 6/4/23  (Read 2873 times)

haasmarc

• Crew
  • Respect: +731
Re: Weekend Update 6/4/23
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2023, 07:40:10 PM »
+36
Work continues on my Reading caboose...

After doing the Taylor caboose trucks I decided to revisit the marker lamps that I printed with my original Photon.

Could they be hollowed out and still print?

Ok, can I stuff an 0201 led in there?

You can't tell in the photo but I colored the lenses so it lights up red to the rear and yellow to the sides and front as prototypical.

It took 3 layers of paint, black then silver then yellow, to stop light bleed through.

Of course, the penny shot...

« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 07:51:28 PM by haasmarc »
Marc Haas
Keeping the Reading alive in N scale!

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3300
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2023, 07:42:16 PM »
+24
Today I ballasted the interchange track down to the LIRR IS. The length along the berm wall is basically a gutter where I will place some cattails and have some standing water after the ballast dries.

Due to the gutters, I have added some spouts to empty into the channel.  The gloss medium is still drying.

The waterfront at the far sea wall is now complete and drying:

A wooden fence is built now for behind and under the truss system. Just behind that will be apartments stretching from the channel toward the left end of the layout. I still have to make much more fence.

I could not find any decals locally, but found some plain Roman dry transfer decals for the railroads own bridge. It needs some rust stains and such. The the bridges will be installed soon now that the channel is complete, except for some figures that will go in later.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4702
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2023, 08:17:23 PM »

Very nice Marc!  Reminds me of the non-operational lantern for my N scale Knox Fire Engine (which I scratch built some years ago, in the conventional way). 
. . . 42 . . .

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1954
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2023, 08:47:30 PM »
+2
Work continues on my Reading caboose...

After doing the Taylor caboose trucks I decided to revisit the marker lamps that I printed with my original Photon.

Could they be hollowed out and still print?

Ok, can I stuff an 0201 led in there?

You can't tell in the photo but I colored the lenses so it lights up red to the rear and yellow to the sides and front as prototypical.

It took 3 layers of paint, black then silver then yellow, to stop light bleed through.

Wow, Marc, that's just gorgeous, very very nice work.
But but, now that ladder has got to go :lol:
Otto

haasmarc

• Crew
  • Respect: +731
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2023, 10:45:51 PM »
+1
Thanks Pete and Otto.

I could draw and print new end rails but I'm afraid that they would be too fragile.  Maybe brass. We'll see. I am making one for my dad and I'm just going to use the given end rails for his.

I want to do CNJ and LV ones which have different end rails so I will have to do something at some point.

Marc Haas
Keeping the Reading alive in N scale!

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +1003
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2023, 11:06:39 PM »
+4
As long as the lanterns are lit no one is likely to pay attention to the ladders.
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4342
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2023, 11:51:05 PM »
+21
Finished two more RBB&B ex-hospital cars, Advertising Car #1 and office car #72.

Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8158
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2023, 02:13:04 PM »
+21
Lots going on so far this weekend.

Fixed my possessed again DCC in a box. Then spotted a car on the RIP track with my recently weathered SW7.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

And lastly, my PC GP38 is now finally ready for service.

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3576
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2023, 07:31:47 PM »
+15
Last weekend was a wonderful three days of model railroading.  On Friday I invited over several friends who had helped with the layout re-installation for dinner and a first look at the layout.  We ran the first complete trains over the Fort St. John Subdivision.

Work Extra 570 departing Chetwynd:

Passing through Bond:

Entering Septimus:

Arrival in Septimus:

It was then the turn of Engs 804 and 812 to run over to Septimus to bring back a ballast train which had been used for testing there.  This was 812's first return to the layout after a long absence due to repairs in the U.S., and its journey home was delayed several years by the pandemic.  Work Extra 804 is seen passing southward through Bond:

Entering Chetwynd Yard:

On Saturday and Sunday I attended the Railway Modellers Meet, which was two days of clinics, displays, and catching up with many friends in the hobby.  On Saturday evening I filled the role of dispatcher for Michael (Dayliner)'s RMMBC operating session on his E&N Railway.

The new Lenz wireless throttles are working very well; so much so that I ordered a third, which arrived in only a few days:

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8662
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2023, 09:24:35 PM »
+20
Built another boxcar shed for Rico. Posed here for photographs...the actual final location will be fairly obscured by overgrowth. Banta Modelworks.

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2510
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2023, 01:06:43 PM »
+15
Solid As A Rock!

Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8158
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2023, 01:32:35 PM »
+13
I CTRL-Zed some weathering on this side of my new SW7 because I felt it had looked over done. The dullcote haze obscured it while I was working on it originally, but a few moments with an alcohol soaked Q Tip cleaned it up perfectly. Much better now.

And here's a quick photo of some confederate invaders. Last time there were Southerners like this in York they burned the bridge across the Susquehanna.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6787
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2023, 01:33:00 PM »
+21
I did a thing!  And, as a result, the Carolina Furniture Company was issued an occupancy permit and has received its first carload.

I used several red and orange craft paints and sponges to generally paint the exterior walls, and then I used toothpicks to paint individual bricks before applying lightweight spackling as mortar.  I’m particularly proud of the hand-painted warehouse doors, using only tan and gray craft paints and brown and black washes.

More on The Carolina Sandhills Lines thread in the Layout Engineering forum.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

spr1955

• Crew
  • Respect: +228
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2023, 03:07:36 PM »
+20

Highline ramp in progress, need to add walk grid and rails on the right, paint, and track on the left. When it is finished I will be adding a clear acrylic wall in front but not too high. The other track on the highline feeds from off the aisle so it will have a short section of track at height and level for incoming ore with static display of them. Coke and Limestone are delivered via this new ramp.
Dave P