Author Topic: Weekend Update 6/8/2014  (Read 13914 times)

mark dance

• Crew
  • Respect: +1279
    • The N Scale Columbia and Western
Re: Weekend Update 6/8/2014
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2014, 12:54:53 PM »
Excellent work Mark. Any low-angle shots of the lower scenes?

thank you LIRR.  I am happy to oblige but have been posting low angle shots for the last couple of weekend updates.  My apologies for what may appear as redundant shots...they *are* new.  Honest!

Kraft switcher in the hole at Castlegar siding

Kraft switcher marshaling cars for the mills around West Robson

Westbound Boundary freight leaving Castlegar

...and two shots of it crossing the fill over the swamp

I hope that is what you had in mind...
md
Youtube Videos of the N Scale Columbia & Western at: markdance63
Photos and track plan of of the N Scale Columbia & Western at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27907618@N02/sets/72157624106602402/

arbomambo

• Crew
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2014, 02:51:30 PM »
Hello all...
back from a whirlwind, but very nice, trip to Texas.
The set-up and show were very nice-great seeing old friends and meeting new ones (We'll make a trip back soon!)

Here are picks of "Arbonado" in the setup (main buses with the powerpole connectors were added the evening before the setup, and once the tracks was given another good cleaning, it performed wonderfully!)

Thanks for looking!
Bruce
"STILL Thrilled to be in N scale!"

Bruce M. Arbo
CATT- Coastal Alabama T-TRAK
https://nationalt-traklayout.com/

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2014, 02:57:08 PM »

Hmm... I'm going cross-
eyed looking at the floor
covering...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

Baronjutter

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2014, 03:44:45 PM »
There's actually a law that convention centres and halls have to have the most eye-destroying carpets possible.

BCOL 747

• Crew
  • Respect: +143
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2014, 04:11:40 PM »
Not much work on the layout lately but I did manage to finish up converting a Kato SD40-2 Snoot to BC Rail 751. The conversion included chopping the low hood to the correct 102”, adding ditch lights and replacing the fans amongst other details. Here it is sitting in a siding with 763.

Mark, love the swamp!
Bruce, the Arbonado module is very impressive!

Have a good weekend!

Chris Dittmar
BC Rail Chetwynd Sub.

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1637
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2014, 04:18:27 PM »

This shot made me want to shove everything off my bench and finish my 6 CP Rail SDs and GPs that I lost interest in about a year ago. What an amazing picture.

Craig.

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1637
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2014, 04:25:23 PM »

[/quote]

Aaaaaaand this shot made me want to revisit my 5 BCR SDs that I shelved seven yets ago when I realized I didn't have the skills.

Well done everyone. Inspiring as usual.

Craig

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2014, 04:27:53 PM »
Just back in the hotel from the Federation of Maritime Railway Modellers Train Show in Moncton, NB. Given the tragic murders of the RCMP officers and the wounding of two more and the subsequent lockdown and manhunt that only ended yesterday it was understandable that attendence was down but the people of this region pulled together and have moved past this horrible event and supported the show the best they could. A very emotional start to the show was a moment of silence held for the slain officers; to be part of that with so many fellow modellers right in the heart of such a tragic event was particularily emotional.

Cudos to the organizers of this fine show at such a hard time.
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2131
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2014, 05:22:26 PM »
There's actually a law that convention centres and halls have to have the most eye-destroying carpets possible.

And if it doesn't do that it will cause you to trip over something , or trip out . Might trigger epilepsy or psychotic behavior . Bet it causes nausea which is a good thing because they will need to chuck it out because of the up-chuck stank that will never be tolerated . Odd , it's not the awful design , but the smell that causes the need for change .

Richie Dost

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2131
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2014, 05:25:58 PM »
Mark that rust colored water is terrific . On the prototype is it because of iron or mud/clay that makes it that way ?

Richie Dost

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2014, 06:10:22 PM »
On the prototype is it because of iron or mud/clay that makes it that way ?

Back years ago when I was growing up we had this same problem with the well water that we used.  My Grandfather didn't want a water line ran all the way to the spring below his house and insisted that we drill a well in his backyard instead, which we found out was heavy with iron, as were a number of other wells drilled "up on the mountain".  After several years we were finally able to run the line all the way down to the spring which yielded absolutely great water just as my grand folks had had for years, one bucket at a time as my Grandmother was able to haul up hill for roughly half a mile.  That was one time when I liked what progress brought but sadly it was an exception not the rule.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2014, 07:31:16 PM »

Hmm... I'm going cross-
eyed looking at the floor
covering...

:facepalm:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 07:32:48 PM by CBQ Fan »
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2014, 07:34:10 PM »
Hello all...
back from a whirlwind, but very nice, trip to Texas.
The set-up and show were very nice-great seeing old friends and meeting new ones (We'll make a trip back soon!)

Here are picks of "Arbonado" in the setup (main buses with the powerpole connectors were added the evening before the setup, and once the tracks was given another good cleaning, it performed wonderfully!)

Thanks for looking!
Bruce

Where are all the young single women??  I got into this hobby for the girls......... :facepalm:
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8662
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2014, 07:37:09 PM »
We selected native Colorado plants, flowers, and grasses for the Rio Grande Southern.  Included are such local favorites as columbine, phlox, and juniper.  Even the pear cactus grows locally.  This evening we'll start planting.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6787
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2014, 08:43:06 PM »
Back to the streets!  I'm trying to take what I've learned from DKS and Chris333 and make yet another attempt at the streets through Aberdeen on my layout.  Ignore the placement of the buildings.  They still need their foundations and leveling.  I only plopped the structures and vehicles on the layout to help you visualize where I'm going with this:

CSX has a paved over railroad crossing in the real Aberdeen, North Carolina, so I did not rebuild the wood crossing timbers as in a previous attempt and modeled asphalt through the crossing.  At one A&R railroad crossing in the real Aberdeen, there is timbers against the rails with asphalt between.  I'll model this when I trim this piece of styrene to fit up against the A&R tracks in the distance in the following picture.  The two different types of crossings should help identify the two crossings as two separate railroads.  You can see the Seaboard System crossing in front is finished, except that I have to continue the sidewalk on the right.  I think I'm going to do angled parking there, too, which will be for the railroad station that needs to be built and placed across the track from that cardboard enginehouse.  All trains run well through the crossing, and the pavement is just below the railhead, to prevent derailments and stalling and to allow me to clean the track without damaging the street.

By the way, Google Maps can be an invaluable tool.  I spent a lot of time "touring" Aberdeen, trying to get ideas for the details and layout of the roads and sidewalks.  I think that this is my best start yet.  This may be a keeper when all is said and done.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!