Author Topic: Help with Atlas code 55 switch  (Read 1039 times)

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Help with Atlas code 55 switch
« on: December 19, 2015, 03:11:36 PM »
I have a derailing issue with a curved Atlas code 55 switch. It appears the points will not close even through the area is clear and the throw bar moves correctly.... here's a pic; any ideas out there...? The locomotives are derailing everytime on the the diverting route and half the time coming from the opposite direction...

Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

Rich_S

• Crew
  • Respect: +148
Re: Help with Atlas code 55 switch
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 03:29:03 PM »
Puddington, How is the alignment on the other end of the point rails where they meet the stock rails? I had one atlas turnout that was causing derailments and came to find out the problem was not at the points, but the opposite end where the point rails meet the stock rail coming from the frog. It was just ever so slightly, a couple of passes with a file cured the problem. A couple of passes with a file on all areas concerned might cure the problem? Does the turnout check out OK with a NMRA gauge (Points, flangeway and track) ??

Doug G.

• Crew
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 03:36:00 PM »
There must be something obstructing either the point directly or the throw bar (or, As Rich said, the other end of the point rail at the closure rail). Otherwise the point would go all the way over to meet the stock rail.

That being said, that point rail looks very poorly made. It's way too blunt and will have to be filed into a point. The flanges will keep picking at that blunt end otherwise.

Doug
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 03:40:06 PM by Doug G. »
Atlas First Generation Motive Power and Treble-O-Lectric. Click on the link:
www.irwinsjournal.com/a1g/a1glocos/

M.C. Fujiwara

• Crew
  • I'm my own personal train-er.
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 05:33:21 PM »
+1
It seems as though the long ties (yellow lines) on either side of the throwbar have bowed out:

This pushes the "vertical" crossbeams far left & right closer, & thus the throwbar stops (red ovals) are stopping too soon.
DO NOT cut the vertical crossbeams!
Instead trim down the stops so they can pass under the crossbeams (make them goes!).

When points can sit flush against rails, take a file & run a few passes to thin down those hellathick point rails (but careful not to bend out of whack!).
Hope this helps.
M.C. Fujiwara
Silicon Valley Free-moN
http://sv-free-mon.org/

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 06:28:56 PM »
Ok, I'll try pushing them back a wee bit, they are not glued, I use two sided tape on either end of the turnout.... thanks!
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!