Author Topic: Why I don't care for separate factory-applied grabs  (Read 10968 times)

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1668
Re: Why I don't care for separate factory-applied grabs
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2018, 03:48:05 PM »
+2
But when I spend $500 for the UP Big Blow set, I would like the grabs to be correctly installed.   I'll fix them one of these days . . . maybe.

Believe me, I totally get it about spending $500 (try Proto:48!).  But at least thank ST for giving us tangible models.  (Wish-models are perfect in every way, except for their slightly inconvenient attribute of non-existence.)

I would strongly encourage you to fix those grabs.  In fact, I think you have already laid the challenge out to yourself, considering that you cared enough about the appearance to measure them with your own custom-made hi-res ruler.   More so, I'm sure everyone here would love to see the before/after pics (I  know I sure would -- that would keep this topic from being little more than an exercise in noise-making).   You could even start a build thread so the rest of us can follow your progress.

I recommend using the scale 0.005" SS wire.  This model doesn't have the oversized handrails to compete visually, so it seems like the best approach.  (Of course, if you really want to be the TRW  :ashat: Accuracy Police(TM), verify if the prototype used 3/4" grabirons -- then you would need 0.004" wire.   :D)    Another plus, ScaleTrains has IIRC used TCP colors on their models, which should make it trivial to match the factory color.

Looking forward to seeing your work.  ;)

Ed

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2018, 07:45:41 PM »
Do it Peteski!

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4702
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2018, 11:26:03 PM »
Do it Peteski!

I will, but with the way my hobby projects are going, it could be  3 years from now.  :D
. . . 42 . . .

ednadolski

• Crew
« Reply #93 on: February 02, 2018, 10:31:02 AM »
+3
I will ... it could be  3 years from now.  :D

So at your current posting rate (7.422 per day), does that mean to expect 7.422 x 365 x 3 = 8,127 more posts before we get to see the finished model?  :o    Please don't make us wait that long!

Ed

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #94 on: February 02, 2018, 12:01:00 PM »
So at your current posting rate (7.422 per day), does that mean to expect 7.422 x 365 x 3 = 8,127 more posts before we get to see the finished model?  :o    Please don't make us wait that long!

Ed

If I was a coffee drinker, you would have made me spit it all over my keyboard! And then I couldn't post anymore.   :D
. . . 42 . . .

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3300
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #95 on: February 02, 2018, 12:21:37 PM »
+1
If I was a coffee drinker, you would have made me spit it all over my keyboard! And then I couldn't post anymore.   :D

Opportunity lost, NOISE!   :trollface:

NOISE                                                                                                                                             NOISE
                                                                                  NOISE 

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 02, 2018, 12:23:25 PM »
+1
That was pretty funny @ednadolski LOL
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +549
« Reply #97 on: February 02, 2018, 12:34:58 PM »
+1
Ed was slightly off though. 2020 is a leap year so we need to add another 7.422 posts to the number.
"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader

ednadolski

• Crew
« Reply #98 on: February 02, 2018, 12:37:38 PM »
That was pretty funny @ednadolski LOL

Well, what is funny (maybe ironic is a better word) is that at say just one minute apiece, those posts add up to over 135 hours of lost modeling time.   That's a lot of grabirons  :D

Seriously tho @peteski if you really don't want to try it I completely understand.   But I would genuinely like to see this done (at least in my lifetime), so if you want to ship me the model I'll be glad to do it for you, gratis.   Just tell me how far off the shell you want the grabirons to stand ;)

Ed

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #99 on: February 02, 2018, 12:50:28 PM »
Group hug!

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #100 on: February 02, 2018, 02:13:46 PM »

Seriously tho @peteski if you really don't want to try it I completely understand.   But I would genuinely like to see this done (at least in my lifetime), so if you want to ship me the model I'll be glad to do it for you, gratis.   Just tell me how far off the shell you want the grabirons to stand ;)

Ed

I'm absolutely serious. I will fix those grabs eventually. I have huge pile of started projects (both for me and for friends - both local and online). I have few projects that are around 20-years-old and I still haven't finished them. I keep taking on more new projects and which take priority. The grab irons at this point are low-priority for me. As you likely well know, besides unsolicited opinions I also post useful info (like technical reviews of models, reverse-engineer decoders, create decals, etc. etc.) All of those are projects which take up my time.  It is not all just idle chat (or noise as some call it).  :trollface:
. . . 42 . . .

ednadolski

• Crew
« Reply #101 on: February 02, 2018, 03:49:19 PM »
+1
I'm absolutely serious. I will fix those grabs eventually. I have huge pile of started projects (both for me and for friends - both local and online). I have few projects that are around 20-years-old and I still haven't finished them. I keep taking on more new projects and which take priority. The grab irons at this point are low-priority for me. As you likely well know, besides unsolicited opinions I also post useful info (like technical reviews of models, reverse-engineer decoders, create decals, etc. etc.) All of those are projects which take up my time.  It is not all just idle chat (or noise as some call it).  :trollface:

Sorry to be blunt but I just cannot buy into those sort of excuses -- particularly not after considering all the hyperbolic contentions you made (and not to mention that posting scale ruler measurements didn't seem to have any trouble jumping to the top of your priority list).  In the time it took to do all that, couldn't you have had at least gotten one or two rows of grabirons done?  (Now that would be something worth up-voting!)

And do you really think you are the only one who has a long list of modeling projects and priorities?  Perhaps you thought my offer was frivolous, but I can assuredly tell you I was prepared to to put it at the top of my list -- JMHO but I see actual modeling as having more value than just drive-by critiquing.  And who knows, a build thread just maybe could have been inspiring to others, esp. coming from someone with your level of visibility.

To say that I am quite disappointed is a big understatement. I had hoped that this thread could lead to something rising above the noise level, but you will have to excuse me if I don't care to wait thru another 8000 or so posts just to "eventually" find that out.

(Sorry to you too Tom - seems best to me if this thread is locked.  It doesn't look like there is a chance for anything other than more noise to come out of it.  I regret that I even bothered to comment in the first place, and in the future I will know better.  Enough of my time wasted on this, I'm done.  :facepalm: )

Ed

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #102 on: February 02, 2018, 05:09:11 PM »
+2
Sorry to be blunt but I just cannot buy into those sort of excuses -- particularly not after considering all the hyperbolic contentions you made (and not to mention that posting scale ruler measurements didn't seem to have any trouble jumping to the top of your priority list).  In the time it took to do all that, couldn't you have had at least gotten one or two rows of grabirons done?  (Now that would be something worth up-voting!)

And do you really think you are the only one who has a long list of modeling projects and priorities?  Perhaps you thought my offer was frivolous, but I can assuredly tell you I was prepared to to put it at the top of my list -- JMHO but I see actual modeling as having more value than just drive-by critiquing.  And who knows, a build thread just maybe could have been inspiring to others, esp. coming from someone with your level of visibility.

To say that I am quite disappointed is a big understatement. I had hoped that this thread could lead to something rising above the noise level, but you will have to excuse me if I don't care to wait thru another 8000 or so posts just to "eventually" find that out.

(Sorry to you too Tom - seems best to me if this thread is locked.  It doesn't look like there is a chance for anything other than more noise to come out of it.  I regret that I even bothered to comment in the first place, and in the future I will know better.  Enough of my time wasted on this, I'm done.  :facepalm: )

Ed

Ed, haven't you ever look at some random photo of a model and thought "the X detail is too large/small" and wanted to bring that up for discussion in an online forum?  Well, I have those thoughts often.  It is that photo which precipitated this thread (including your attacks on me).  I've been around this forum long enough for you to see that I'm more than capable of properly reinstalling the grabs on my locos.  I really don't why I should be forced to do it now. I'll do it at the time that is convenient for me (not when you want me to do it).  Yeah, for some reason I really pushed your buttons with this subject and this has now become a pissing contest.  But I'm glad I started this thread. Good to see that I'm not alone not thrilled with this type of factory-installed detail.  I do promise you that when I finally get to reinstalling those handrails, I'll post a photo of them for all to see.

As far as the scale ruler goes, I created and printed it when the Rapido meat reefers came out (to show how large the board gaps were). That was probably 2 years ago. I already had the Big Blow set out and it took me about 30 minutes to take those photos. And yes, in my hobby some project often take priority over others. By the same token, some projects are relegated to the bottom of the pile. That is how I work.  But why the heck am I explaining myself to you?!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 05:14:09 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 02, 2018, 10:43:02 PM »
This thread sure inspired me (to immortalize it via new banner)!

Next, let's talk about how commenting on online forums takes away from our modeling time.

And then talk about how talking about commenting on online forums takes away from our modeling time.

How I decide when to use what time to model:

Am I on the toilet?
YES                   NO
   |                       |
Post on TRW          |
                      Can I model while on the toilet?
                          YES                               NO
                            |                                   |
                   Commence modeling                |
                                                          Am I currently eating?
                                                               YES                   NO
                                                                 |                         |
                                   Read Conrail1285.com's blog               |
                                                                                  Bring food next time
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +549
« Reply #104 on: February 02, 2018, 11:05:55 PM »
+1
This thread sure inspired me (to immortalize it via new banner)!

Next, let's talk about how commenting on online forums takes away from our modeling time.

And then talk about how talking about commenting on online forums takes away from our modeling time.

How I decide when to use what time to model:

Am I on the toilet?
YES                   NO
   |                       |
Post on TRW          |
                      Can I model while on the toilet?
                          YES                               NO
                            |                                   |
                   Commence modeling                |
                                                          Am I currently eating?
                                                               YES                   NO
                                                                 |                         |
                                   Read Conrail1285.com's blog               |
                                                                                  Bring food next time
1.788 posts a day, seems like you are a pretty regular guy
"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader