Author Topic: Walthers video loaded to YouTube  (Read 3582 times)

Atlanticflier

Re: Walthers video loaded to YouTube
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2009, 06:23:50 AM »
TBA:
GP-18 LOW hoods, new roadnames on Dump cars, ..more ? .....

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +353
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2009, 08:24:27 AM »
TBA:
GP-18 LOW hoods, new roadnames on Dump cars, ..more ? .....

Does this mean GP20 high hoods are coming too, or will WP and GN modelers continue to be discriminated against?
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

asarge

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2009, 09:48:39 AM »
They've talked about doing those as low noses before. We need structures!!

Two Truck Shay

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2009, 05:06:32 PM »
You know, I thought I was the only one.   >:(

I'm in a mood for a good, cleansing rant, so here goes!

The large companies in this hobby should understand that merging their advertising, youtube releases, and websites in such a way that an N-scaler has to slog through pages and pages of HO stuff to find a single N-scale product just. pisses. us. off.

But they don't seem to have a clue. If they are only going to develop a few new products for N, at least send a separate ad, brochure, or youtube video so their bias for HO is not the central message. Because that's all I get when I see one of these ads.

I do not subscribe to Model Railroader magazine because it is so totally slanted toward HO. They act like they are doing someone a BIG favor to include any N-scale feature. So condescending.

I rarely deal with Walthers for the same reason. Their approach is that if you bought a N-scale logging car from them, you would certainly be interested in everything they offer in every other scale. Do they ever do any market research?

I don't know about you guys, but I don't want a brochure on tinplate stuff, Thomas the tank engine, 9,846 new HO items, and a big O scale caboose that looks like Snoopy fighting the Red Baron because I bought some N logging cars. You would think that actually taking an interest in their customers and looking at what I HAVE ordered would give them a clue, but I don't think they give a rat's behind about getting to know their customers. They are so used to the "we'll make what we want and you'll buy it and like it" mentality.

I do NOT want to have the wide selection of HO products rubbed in my face ever again. I do not want to even know what is available in HO, because I'm NEVER going to buy any of it and it is unlikely to ever "trickle down" to N. It only reminds me of how some companies neglect the N-scale market. I don't care about the economics of the situation and I am not complaining about the selection or what is offered, but about the ATTITUDE that comes with it. In fact, there are more things available in N than ever before, plenty to model most of the stuff I would like (except perhaps enough N-scale narrow gauge stuff!).

But the bias always seems to be there with the big multi-scale companies. I have nothing but good feelings for Kato and all the cool N stuff they have offered, but I even saw this with one of their employees. I had a small problem with an N scale Kato locomotive and called their support line. The man was very helpful and offered me some good advice. He closed with "this sort of thing is why I personally model HO". Thanks, Mr. Professionalism. You were very helpful, but just could not resist the parting shot. HO scale never entered the conversation until he brought it up. I said "Well, as you know, I model N so that comment is not really very helpful to me".

If a company is going to sell N products, their employees should not be thinking their customers are nuts for buying what they are selling. If that is the company's philosophy it is bound to hurt them in the long run (I am quite certain this guy was not reflecting Kato's point of view, just his own bias).

But I still feel like a red-headed stepchild at an Iowa picnic.

(Not that there's anything wrong with red-headed stepchildren, god bless 'em)

(BTW Mark, I blew my coffee on my computer screen for the LOTR photo! Thanks!)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 05:08:48 PM by Two Truck Shay »