Author Topic: MTL May 2024 Releases  (Read 1496 times)

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +1015
Re: MTL May 2024 Releases
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2024, 05:06:45 PM »
+1
Turning purple holding my breath waiting for the paired window baggage/coach combine.
I think part of the problem in getting MTL to do the combine is that 40% want a paired window combine, 40% want a single window combine, and the other 20% want something road specific, like an ATSF baggage-lounge, or a PRR PB70, or the Wabash cars with 2 baggage doors on each side.  I want all of the above, but I think I'm the exception.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2024, 06:35:57 PM »
Already pre-ordered the UP and KCS cars.  That ICG depressed Center flat looks good, but may be out of service by now.

I imagine it would be gone by the early 90s the ICG color guide has a 1976 photo that matches the mtl car. Very tempting.
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +296
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2024, 07:44:16 PM »
+2
Thanks for the Rio Grande trailers @Gozer the Gozerian - please keep them coming!
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +601
    • My train pics
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2024, 09:42:29 PM »
The CIC former SNC car is pretty hot... have probably see that one around town or on the IAIS in South Amana.

Alas, too modern for my era.

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +435
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2024, 10:14:34 AM »
The CIC former SNC car is pretty hot... have probably see that one around town or on the IAIS in South Amana.

Alas, too modern for my era.

Holy moly that is must have.  Can't believe there were so many replies to this thread before that got mentioned.

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1105
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2024, 12:17:15 PM »
+1
I think part of the problem in getting MTL to do the combine is that 40% want a paired window combine, 40% want a single window combine, and the other 20% want something road specific, like an ATSF baggage-lounge, or a PRR PB70, or the Wabash cars with 2 baggage doors on each side.  I want all of the above, but I think I'm the exception.

more like I want to do SP specific and they won't let me, so everyone suffers.  :D :D :D   You're correct, the requests are all over the map as it should be.  Hopefully someday as Pedro said, "I'll make all your wildest dreams come true"  lol 

Gozar 
Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +569
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2024, 01:58:36 PM »
Regarding the combine choice, it seems pretty obvious.  MTL has already decided to make paired-window coaches, and then single-window coaches.  Now we need paired window combines, followed by single window combines.  I would expect you to be able to sell quite a few of each.  And the ones that want something really railroad specific will buy them and kitbash them into what they really want.  Better to start with one car than 2 to make the combine of your dreams.

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2024, 02:01:58 PM »
+1
Whatever you wind up choosing @Gozer the Gozerian I would wager they would look handsome in Soo Line maroon (Cough Cough)  :D

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +1015
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2024, 05:47:48 PM »
more like I want to do SP specific and they won't let me, so everyone suffers.  :D :D :D   You're correct, the requests are all over the map as it should be.  Hopefully someday as Pedro said, "I'll make all your wildest dreams come true"  lol 

Gozar
I've noticed that the 3D printing from MTL has moved from hatch covers and random shaped tarps a few years ago to Sherman tanks and those auto frame racks recently.  Maybe, in a few more years, we could see car bodies.  Then, you could injection mold an underframe (admittedly generic) and print up several different car bodies to fit with various details on a separate sprue.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4684
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2024, 06:13:31 PM »
+1
I've noticed that the 3D printing from MTL has moved from hatch covers and random shaped tarps a few years ago to Sherman tanks and those auto frame racks recently. 

Let's not forget the very nifty Chinese Spy Baloon frame.  That was pretty well done.  :)
. . . 42 . . .

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1105
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2024, 11:38:27 AM »
+2
I've noticed that the 3D printing from MTL has moved from hatch covers and random shaped tarps a few years ago to Sherman tanks and those auto frame racks recently.  Maybe, in a few more years, we could see car bodies.  Then, you could injection mold an underframe (admittedly generic) and print up several different car bodies to fit with various details on a separate sprue.

trust me, i've given it a lot of thought.  While the number of 3d printers I have in the lab here has grown exponentially, the time to print them on my Photon M5's would make them expensive...and the production cycle time would be unreal.  I've looked at some production machines that print in a tube.  When you lay out your project the software arranges the parts on a tree so what you get is something that looks like Brussel Sprouts on the stalk,  You hit go and the thing runs for hours or days and what you get is a bunch of parts stacked on top of each other.  Very cool.   Who knows.  I think some of the guys who are handy with the programing could offer up STL files?

Joe
Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1154
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2024, 12:13:01 PM »
+1
@Gozer the Gozerian  MTL has been very impressive in how they adopt new technology into a steady production schedule.  The weathered cars are another example of this.  Whatever you are doing, keep doing it.

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +294
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2024, 12:53:46 PM »
Just think of the evolution of printers...starting with dot matrix and currently up to 3d printing...in color. Eventually it will happen...we will just buy the car STL file and print it at home (and not just trains either). It will just take time for the speeds to increase and the prices to continue to drop (laser printers originally cost thousands of dollars, and now they cost next to nothing). In Star Trek, aren't the food 'replicators' just high speed 3D printers that print food? Currently we can print plastic IN COLOR as well as metal. Printing food is just using a different media with flavoring added. It will happen, the question is when...
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2024, 03:48:04 PM »
Tea, earl grey, hot.

peteski

• Crew