Author Topic: Weekend Update 3/26/23  (Read 2735 times)

Angus Shops

• Crew
  • Respect: +259
Re: Weekend Update 3/26/23
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2023, 10:25:02 PM »
+1
There's something happening here
(What it is ain't exactly clear)

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

Are those empties? Not the cars - the beer cans…

G

Olivani

• Crew
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2023, 10:46:45 PM »
Will I get a refund ?   :D

Oliver

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4320
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2023, 10:48:36 PM »
+19
After a gazillion tries, I finally have a 3D-print of an FGE ex-PRR R7 reefer that I'm happy with.  The model will ride on MTL trucks, either Andrews or Bettendorf depending on the scheme I decorate the model in.  The details remaining to be added will be wire and etched parts.  The hatches can be positioned open or closed, but I'll probably cement them in the closed position.

Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

dnhouston

• Crew
  • Respect: +665
    • Dusty Junction & Northwestern
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2023, 10:48:43 PM »
+15
Working on scenicking the yard area

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1954
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2023, 11:17:49 PM »
David, the granite looks great....castings or carved?
Otto K.

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3575
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2023, 11:25:28 PM »
+13
Craig:  Nice to see some RS-18s happening!
Michael:  Good progress on the fascia.

I was away in Squamish last weekend for the second annual Sea To Sky Model Train Show held at the Railway Museum of B.C.   Good to see the Vancouver TraiNGang modular layout there; still going strong after all these years.  My friend Mike and I staged a PGE-BCR Modellers (N Scale) display with an operating loop of Kato Unitrack.  Our table was across the aisle from Royal Hudson 2860:

I got to display my fully completed Prince George Auxiliary for the first time:

which was cool as the real crane and idler were just outside the roundhouse doors:

I also displayed my new plow and flanger, and took them for a test run:

During the past week I completed all of the wiring for the new trackage through Sundance:

With DC power temporarily connected I was able to perform a test run to ensure there were no wiring errors:

including down into the new ballast pit:

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1637
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2023, 11:29:29 PM »
@garethashenden   I love the GWR Buffalo--that's some very nice work.

@craigolio1  I'm intrigued by the GFC6's--are we going to see catenary strung into Lake Cowichan and electrically-hauled log trains? Too cool!

This week I started modifying the existing Lake Cowichan fascia boards to receive the new turnout controls.  The previous controllers had two pushbuttons; the new ones have only one, so new mounting holes are required and I'm taking advantage of this to relocate the controls.  The first picture shows the process of filling the old holes with 1/8" lengths of various-sized dowelling as required. A little bit of wood glue holds it in place, but, I discovered, does not provide enough hold on the masonite to allow me to drill a new hole adjacent to the previous one.  The horrible mess on the right is the result of a miscalculation when the fascia was originally installed--it will be taped, mudded, and sanded before priming and painting.

Once the holes were filled and the new holes drilled, the controllers were mounted and the whole assembly test-fitted into place.  So far, so good--everything is working!

Next, the second board will be prepped and similarly test-fitted, and then I'll take it all down again and remove the controllers in preparation for painting the fascia.

Haha noooooo. But you will see a 30 car coal train with mid train helpers. I’ve always had a thing for these trains.

Craig

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1093
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2023, 11:37:18 PM »
+11
Detailing some roads.

Gahh every pic has more stuff i want to change fix a lil.
-Al

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1637
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2023, 11:42:32 PM »
@BCR 570

Thanks! I figured it was time to start actually finishing my BCR models since I claim to be a BCR modeller.

I’m really happy to see the completed work train on display after watching it take shape over the last decade!  Congratulations.

Craig

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4684
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2023, 11:50:02 PM »
+5
I thought Peteski moved the entire forum. :)

I did!  I got sick of undeserved down-votes!   :trollface:
But  :tommann: hunted me down and moved it back.  Drats!
. . . 42 . . .

EJN

• Crew
  • Respect: +207
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2023, 12:16:24 AM »
+3
Are those empties? Not the cars - the beer cans…

G

Full. They are stand-ins for grain silos (after all beer is made from grain).

Zack L-J

• Crew
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2023, 12:59:26 AM »
+6
I wanted to ask for help with this project but the forums were down so I spent a lot of time doing my own research instead of the fun part (the horror). Still I have *just barely* started it, but I’m modeling a C&O Class M-1 Steam Turbine locomotive, “The Chessie”. This thing is going to be a monster at nearly a foot long.

The wheel spacing for the drive wheels is problematic. If anyone knows any N locos with a center to center truck wheel spacing of about 70” I would be extremely appreciative. For reference most all diesels with 40”(the prototype’s size) wheels are either about 80” for most 3 axles or a DD40, or 108” for most 2 axle trucks. I don’t care how many axles they have because im going to he 3D printing new truck housings and sideframes, but it would help if i dont gave to offset the idler gears to make things closer together.

alternatively i could just use DD40 trucks as is with new sideframes and just flub the wheel spacing a little bit. Thoughts?

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4684
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2023, 08:20:38 AM »
+1
That is an ambitious project!
If you will 3D print the gear cases, you should be able to use different size (smaller diameter) idler gears (from other trucks which have same width gear cases), as long as the modulus is the same.  Or with existing idler gears you should be able to move them up in the gear case to reduce the axle spacing.
. . . 42 . . .

altohorn25

• Crew
  • Respect: +3391
    • Mini Mod u Trak
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2023, 09:00:59 AM »
+17
I took a few photos of my Rock Island passenger train running on the Modutrak layout at the Rockford, IL show this past weekend.  The depot is on the LaCrosse Division of the Milwaukee Road, but it still looks good.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Nate Pierce
Modutrak - Wisconsin Division
www.modutrak.com

Zack L-J

• Crew
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2023, 07:06:51 PM »
That is an ambitious project!
If you will 3D print the gear cases, you should be able to use different size (smaller diameter) idler gears (from other trucks which have same width gear cases), as long as the modulus is the same.  Or with existing idler gears you should be able to move them up in the gear case to reduce the axle spacing.

Thanks! Yes, moving the gears up was on my considerations. I’m trying to avoid buying new gears because if I want to sell this as a kit my hope is to let people just purchase trucks from, say, Atlas.

And yes, it is pretty ambitious. There’s a lot of parts to make and a lot of mechanical considerations. There’s no way I can simply modify an existing frame so I’m just going to make my own chassis with pockets for weights. I might roll my own lighting PCB for fun, or I might just put an LED in a hole. The way this thing articulates is really bizarre too. The front power and pony truck are on a big bolster that swivels under the coal bunker in front, I believe the pivot is right above the first driving truck. I think the center supporting truck merely pivots in place and then the rear drive truck and trailing truck pivot. Not sure. Now that I’ve written all this I’m thinking I should just make its own thread, this is a smidge more than merely a weekend update.

EDIT: also moving gears up and changing spacing of existing trucks means it’ll need customized pickup plates too. They’re not that hard to do but the less custom fab it takes the more likely I’ll actually complete the project and the more likely some other person will buy it and fund all my work :V
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 07:13:48 PM by Zack L-J »