Author Topic: Latest Rapido newsletter...  (Read 8625 times)

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Re: Latest Rapido newsletter...
« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2014, 04:52:40 PM »
I'm sorry if our choice doesn't meet everone's specific needs but the release is the release. For what it's worth this whole projct has left me very cold, sad as it was my first N scale project I have been involved with from the beginning. I'll remember this experience for future projects.
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2934
« Reply #76 on: October 29, 2014, 04:54:01 PM »
And, there is always this route if you don't like what they are making ..

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1154
« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2014, 04:58:08 PM »
Don't get down Pud, I personally always look forward to the newsletter and this announcement is great.  The cars look awesome and should sell very well, just like the GMD-1 units.  Keep pushing the boundaries and aim high.  Ignore the static here, it is tiresome but predictable.

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8642
« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2014, 05:14:05 PM »
I'm sorry if our choice doesn't meet everone's specific needs but the release is the release. For what it's worth this whole projct has left me very cold, sad as it was my first N scale project I have been involved with from the beginning. I'll remember this experience for future projects.

C'mon now Pud...  You really only had two or three guys truly give you crap, and that was as predictable as tomorrow's sunrise.  Is that really enough to ruin this for you?  You're not hearing the thunderous applause from the rest of us?

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4684
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #79 on: October 29, 2014, 05:19:19 PM »

The route of Floquil Model Railroad enamels?  LOL. That was a good one John.  :D

Pud, don't take this so personally - you (as a manufacturer) present your product to the modelers, and people on forums like TRW comment on it.  Of all the people, you should know, since you yourself have been participating in the online forums (especially here) for many years.  Didn't you recently just write an extensive essay jusy about things like this (from the manufacturers perspective).  Sour note on your first N scale project?  I thought your skin was much thicker.

Just keep doing what you are doing - making new product and present pre-production info to the online forums. I'm sure that in the variety of positive an negative comments, some will be of useful value. Maybe some will even give you ways to improve the product or offer different paint schemes.  Of course some comments will be totally useless to you. But that is just part of of the process.

I presented my views (nothing personal) in obviously too strong of a way. But I still think my comments were valid.  While I think that the meat reefer was a great choice of a subject, I thought that Rapido could have made it much better (with a minimal effort).  My opinion was based on the photos provided by you. But as you say, you can't please everybody.  I am planning on seeing you guys in Springfield to see the models in-person.  I am hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

. . . 42 . . .

sd45elect2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +452
« Reply #80 on: October 29, 2014, 06:30:20 PM »

I'm buying them, I'm sure they will sell out soon enough. I was always a fan of SRLX cars. I have a few Intermountain cars in the red and silver colors so I'm looking forward to seeing the yellow ones and the different car types in the same consist.

I wish I had a larger variety of car types to choose from when it comes to transition era tank cars !!!! (hint)

Hopefully I'll see you all in Springfield as well.

Randy

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #81 on: October 29, 2014, 07:30:59 PM »
That's a deal if they won't pretend to more about the prototype.

I know it a hard business, and I only make it that much harder.  That's not the intent.  I just think everyone is entitled to all the information, not just the information that helps a manufacturer sell product, especially when it's incorrect.  Regardless, it's obviously time for me to take a break.  8)

Jason

I think what gets me fired up is twofold. 

Certain members state there opinion as "experts" and feel they are above challenge.   The old my opinion is fact and all other opinions are merely represent their stupidity.

The second is how the the pre order business model can be used to motivate customers orders.  I like how Rapido has notified customers in the past that certain road names would be getting the axe without more orders. But on the flip side if you expect people to pony up and place pre orders I feel the company has an obligation to deliver the product in a reasonable window around the stated ETA.  Some people actually have to set aside the funds in order to make the purchase and by pre ordering with company A you are preventing them by buying times from company B.  Then there is a delay and they miss out completely on item A.  Or as in my case you have 6-7 major orders all arrive in one month on orders placed over a 24 month period that were supposed to arrive over an 18 month spacing. 

As far as understanding the whole production aspect I do have an extensive background in specing, designing, producing, forecasting/selling and financing across multiple product lines.  What I still find funny are those who told me I was nuts and had no idea what I was talking about when I warned about the pending manufacturing issues in China before it all came down. 

I am glad for the new offering, may buy some when they come out.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

Rapidobill

• Respect: +2
« Reply #82 on: October 29, 2014, 10:05:59 PM »
Fair enough, we'll go with cruddy.

Unfortunately since you guys had the yellow car with the r/w Swift as the 'Delivered' scheme I have to take everything else with a grain of salt.  It's entirely too easy to think that you had the schemes mixed up, especially if the second most needed scheme and the only scheme from 1941 when the car was made to 1948 was such an afterthought.  I don't know who would want these more than steam modelers in the 40's.

You would do everyone a favor if you switched the yellow cars from the 4-pack and individual releases. But that's just my opinion.

Jason

Ummm.. I goofed.  :facepalm: In the hurry to get the web page up the dates were copied and pasted from another car. I blame Puddington - he proof read the thing. ;>) I have fixed ithttp://www.rapidotrains.com/reefer_n.html#swift1. You'll notice that the HO version had the right information http://www.rapidotrains.com/reefer3.html#swift1 though that may not help me on this list....

The earliest date that I have seen on a "red block" (our term) car is 1947. The earliest date that I have seen on a red car is 1950, though some claim that it was introduced in 1948 (would love to see documentation if possible). Regardless, the red block scheme was applied to repainted cars for only a few years, though once repainted they did tend to last in service for a while before going all red or... silver (don't ask... please. Puddington did...).

So, for timelines as I know them... plain yellow: 1937-1950-ish, War Bonds: ~1942-1946, "red block", 1947-1950, red:1950-1965+, Silver... damn, there I go.... ignore that.....

Finally, Jason, Mike and I are all prototype modelers. Different scales, different prototypes, different roads and different eras - but similar approaches. We approach our own modeling in the same way that many of you do and do our best to provide both models and information about them that is accurate and useful. If you see an error, let us know and don't assume the worst. We're all human (well, except for Jason - he's part Klingon) and stuff happens.

Bill Schneider
Rapido Trains
Product design and webmaster, though neither done very well I guess...  :D

rapidotrains

• Crew
  • Respect: +265
« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2014, 10:08:51 PM »
Hey Mike - didn't I fire you last Tuesday?  :D

For the first few years after starting Rapido I kept a very close eye on the forums and I would take every criticism to heart.

I got into a real pickle when I first launched. As soon as I announced our first passenger cars, some internet guy was advertising them at about $1 above cost. I made the dreaded mistake of suggesting online that this was not good and that it cheapens the product.

One guy on one forum saw it as his duty to go to every single forum and tell everyone not to buy my products because I was anti-capitalist and breaking the law by not embracing some dealer selling my products for $1 above cost. For a brand-new company with no reputation, it was a disaster.

Then when the Turbo came out and its running quality was like an upside-down Robin Reliant, I would watch the forums and pounce defensively on anyone who rightfully criticized it.

Now I find this stuff extremely amusing - including this thread. Our products will be judged by their sales and by guys being so happy with our models that they tell everyone at the club to give Rapido a try. If we deliver drek, then we'll pay for it in lost sales and reputation.

Mike is still new to manufacturing and he is going through what I went through in the first few years of running this company. He'll grow out of it.... :D

-Jason

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8642
« Reply #84 on: October 29, 2014, 10:14:42 PM »

Jason

:?

Rapidobill

« Reply #85 on: October 29, 2014, 10:20:22 PM »
While we're at it, anyone know when the large "Kingan" scheme went into effect? Mid-fifties, earlier?
Regards, Otto K.

1954 seems to eb the earliest repack data that I see on my photos, but I only have four of this car.

Bill Schneider
Rapido Trains

Rapidobill

« Reply #86 on: October 29, 2014, 10:34:36 PM »

Pretend to... what... about the prototype?  ;)

Seriously, please send me your contact info off-list so that I can add you to my list of contacts on this car, There is at least a second run here and I would welcome your input on that if you can offer some new information. It's never to late to learn.

The first run was based on our HO model which was developed with help from Jerry Stewart (probably the foremost expert that I know so far on these cars), Ed Hawkins, Frank Peacock, Ted Culotta, Doug Harding and the late (oh, that hurts....) Richard Hendrickson who between them had a vast mountain of material on these cars which they made available to us and who spent hours commenting on and correcting our designs and drawings. This is how a model gets produced. We work on numerous projects at a time I currently have 3...4....5....7.... a bunch... in process and will never pretend to know everything (or anything close to that) about ANY of them. That is why we (like other manufacturers) rely on the input of acknowledged experts who we can trust to give accurate and unbiased feedback.

Look forward to hearing from you,

Bill Schneider
Rapido Trains

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #87 on: October 29, 2014, 11:33:04 PM »
So if all the Rapido employees are goofing around reading and posting to this thread who is actually working?  :trollface:

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4684
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #88 on: October 30, 2014, 12:08:31 AM »
So if all the Rapido employees are goofing around reading and posting to this thread who is actually working?  :trollface:

Looks like Dan, Janet and Richard still have their noses to the grindstone. Then there are all those Chinese laborers....
 :)
. . . 42 . . .

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +462
« Reply #89 on: October 30, 2014, 05:35:20 AM »

Hey Jason (not Rapido Jason), you don't like it, don't buy, if you still MUST buy, do this.

Remember, it's called MODEL railroading, Not "open the box and slap it on the rails" railroading. if you don't like it, Freaking FIX IT......I'm getting amped up, I better stop before Tom swings the ban hammer in my direction.

Pud, Bill, and Jason,
I loves me some reefers, I'll be picking up a few!! thanks!!
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)