Author Topic: N Scale Walthers GP38-2 Review and Decoder Install Tips  (Read 1869 times)

fifer

• Crew
  • Albuquerque Canuel & Tijeras RR
  • Respect: +60
    • Fifer Hobby Supply
N Scale Walthers GP38-2 Review and Decoder Install Tips
« on: February 05, 2015, 09:04:05 AM »
Here is a short video I did on the new Walthers GP38-2. This one ran very well out of the box. The second I ran had a slight growl to it but I think a shell removal and adjustment wold have fixed it and or some slight break-in time.

Mike
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life.
 When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
 I wrote ‘happy’.
They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
 -- John Lennon

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1255
Re: N Scale Walthers GP38-2 Review and Decoder Install Tips
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 10:15:12 AM »
Thanks Mike. I have been waiting for the CR Quality units to show up. Any favorite deciders? NCE, TCS, Digital?
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

fifer

• Crew
    • Fifer Hobby Supply
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 10:32:58 AM »
Thanks Mike. I have been waiting for the CR Quality units to show up. Any favorite deciders? NCE, TCS, Digital?

Digitrax has the DN163L0A but TCS makes the L1D4 that fits as well. They are all good decoders.
Mike
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life.
 I wrote ‘happy’.
They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
 -- John Lennon

Albert in N

• Crew
  • Respect: +116
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 10:50:51 AM »
Enjoyed the review; great job with excellent quality!  My Walthers GP-60 also came with Micro-Trains couplers, but seems to run more slowly on DC (speed is between Atlas and Kato diesels).  My GP-60 had no black light deflector board, so I used electrical tape inside the cab to route light only through the headlamp lens.  Walthers is wise to make a true DCC ready loco with easy conversion.  This pleases us DC operators, as well as gives DCC operators a choice of decoders.  I can see additional Walthers diesels (such as a GP-38) on my N scale roster.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 06:01:46 PM by Albert in N »

arbomambo

• Crew
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 03:41:59 PM »
Thanks Mike...
although these latest from Walthers aren't in my 'wheel house'...I'm hoping that these will be well received to the point it gives Walthers the motivation to release a couple of the very last Life Like releases (the Erie Builts!!!!)
~Bruce
"STILL Thrilled to be in N scale!"

Bruce M. Arbo
CATT- Coastal Alabama T-TRAK
https://nationalt-traklayout.com/

fifer

• Crew
    • Fifer Hobby Supply
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 11:20:53 PM »
Thanks Mike...
although these latest from Walthers aren't in my 'wheel house'...I'm hoping that these will be well received to the point it gives Walthers the motivation to release a couple of the very last Life Like releases (the Erie Builts!!!!)
~Bruce

Well , I hope these sell well also and I agree , I hope it prods Walthers into more good models.
Mike
 I wrote ‘happy’.
 -- John Lennon