Author Topic: Weekend Update 1/15/23  (Read 5767 times)

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +1715
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
Re: Weekend Update 1/15/23
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2023, 07:40:27 PM »
+24
It was a hella long wait, but a fancy new Trainworx grain truck has finally pulled onto the scale at SunRich for some probing and weighing -

-Mark

Erik W

• Crew
  • Respect: +715
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2023, 08:14:35 PM »
+20
I applied the decals to my 3D printed N scale D&RGW "Fowler Clone" single sheathed boxcar.  Luckily I have a large stash of various N scale D&RGW decals.  The 40 individual decals I used on the boxcar come from three Microscale decal sets.  One was a mixed set for 40' boxcars that included the a D&RGW boxcar.  I used the Flying Grand herald from a D&RGW steel caboose decal set. This was the right size to fit the way it needed to between the boxcar's outside bracing (rather than the larger Flying Grand the was included with the 40' boxcar set).  The car data is from a generic data decal set.  All decals were applied using Micro-Set and Micro-Sol with frequent pricking with a new #11 blade tip while they were setting to try to remove any small bubbles on the uneven surface the decals were applied to.  Lastly, I airbrushed another gloss coat to seal the decals, and prep for weathering.

Erik

Pomperaugrr

• Crew
  • Respect: +1197
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2023, 10:10:47 PM »
+31
Not a pretty photo, but the first work I have done in 6 weeks. I am starting to layer in the river banks along the Housatonic River. I still need 3 to 4 more shades to blend it in. Then debris, dead fall, rip rap, sand, stone, etc., ending with the water pour. After that will be scenery along the banks and the marina at the Bleachery.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 10:24:50 PM by Pomperaugrr »

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3084
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2023, 12:53:27 AM »
+20
Dealt with my first raw 3D print items, as in, still on the support structures.  These are from Baldylox Designs.  AgCom took delivery of 3 Walinga style bulk feed trailers. 

And YorkRail Logistics took delivery of 2 bulk unloader conveyors.

A lot of careful snipping of support structures to free the items.  I managed to only break of 1 mudflap on the trailer, and 3 wheel mounts on the conveyor  :facepalm: 

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2023, 01:26:01 AM »
Love the clone, Mark. The door turned out well, too.
Otto K.

pdx1955

• Crew
  • Respect: +337
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2023, 03:17:20 AM »
+9
Working on adding lighting to the O layout. It's a combination of original lights like on the station platform and Woodland Scenics lights elsewhere in the picture.

Peter

"No one ever died because of a bad question, but bad assumptions can kill"

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +1715
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2023, 06:28:11 AM »
+12
This should make Peteski happy - I finally tried using my phone to take some layout pictures and it actually does a much better job than my camera. So, adios to the Canon!  :P

-Mark

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2023, 08:41:30 AM »
+1
Computational photography FTW!

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2023, 08:52:16 AM »
This should make Peteski happy - I finally tried using my phone to take some layout pictures and it actually does a much better job than my camera. So, adios to the Canon!  :P

LOL!  It is not about the quality of your photos (which were fine before). It is all about the size (aka. resolution).  :D I have to reply to your last email with a better explanation of what I was talking about.

The latest addition to your Hope layout looks great Mark!  Hopefully you got that truck for its regular price (not some scalper price).
. . . 42 . . .

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2023, 09:45:38 AM »
+3
No modeling from me this week.

Finally got back to Songkhla for the first time in 5 years. Mother in law didn't tell us just how bad the flooding was. When we checked our house, there was mildew everywhere. Ended up hiring a cleaning service. They are about 2/3 done now after 5 hours. It's a lot better but here are some highlights:

2 of the 4 mini-splits are broken and will probably need replacing. A 3rd is struggling to keep below 25c at night.

Monsoon rain caused a bit of damage - looks like water flowed though all the outlets on one side of the house, leaving water marks. Unsure if these circuits are damaged.

The two dimmer circuits ARE damaged and heard and audible "pop" when I tried to turn on one. The other was dead from the start. A few of the high hats lol like there is water pooled in them.

The wiring was embedded in the masonry at the time we built the house (the other option is exposed conduit about a meter high). This means any repair will require partial demo of each wall and ceiling. I'm hoping we can just ignore the dimmer circuits and everything else is working.

House now smells like mildew and ammonia.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2023, 10:31:23 AM »
Dealt with my first raw 3D print items, as in, still on the support structures.  These are from Baldylox Designs.

Do you have a link?   I found something on Etsy but it doens't seem to be working.

Jesse6669

• Crew
  • Respect: +1188
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2023, 10:47:06 AM »
+10
Some really good stuff this week! 

For my part, here's a bit of a dog's breakfast that really represents a couple weeks endeavors. 

On the small side, I finished up the design and test painted this EBT 3-bay hopper (Mn3/1:300 scale).  I really like how this has turned out.  NZT ruler for scale.

Decals are drafted and I just need to get them printed by Christopher at Fusion (who's currently relocating, so there's slight delay).  I'm getting EBT, WP&Y and D&SNG decals made.  This model was origninally intended for the WP&Y layout actually but now the EBT beckons.. Also here's the final version of the WP&Y ex-CN longitudinal hopper before painting in yellow.

I also did a bit more ballasting and testing of ground covers on the WP&Y layout.  It's coming along slowly but surely.

Here's a sneak-peek at a manufacturer's early pre-production T scale FP9.   I'm acting as a consultant on this project.  It's certainly not finished-product quality--they're testing and adjusting the printing (and I'm having "fun" communicating revisions as they are in China).  Oh, there's a Milwaukee Road FP7 in the paddock as well..

On the other end of the scale spectrum: After setting up an O-27 loop for Christmas, I find I've been bitten by the large-scale bug.  I got a Lionel Conrail N5C caboose for the Christmas train--it needed a rear coupler so that was 3D printed.  After the holiday I found a Williams GP38 for a bargain (<$100) and I'm going to strip and repaint it into Conrail livery (sorry GM&O fans).  It's going to be semi-scale but accurate repaint using K-4 Decals to go with the Lionel CR caboose.  I thought about re-doing the handrails adding lift rings, etc.. but not this time;  I might opt for some better fine scale O equipment (Atlas, Weaver, etc) in the future.

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3084
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2023, 11:00:13 AM »
+1
Do you have a link?   I found something on Etsy but it doens't seem to be working.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/BaldyloxDesigns

Don't let shipping charges or time frame concern you.  Etsy does an automatic shipping rate,  Brett will refund difference.  He's aboutb2-3 weeks in queue on average.  I think it was 12-15 days between order and shipping

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2023, 11:09:26 AM »
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BaldyloxDesigns

Don't let shipping charges or time frame concern you.  Etsy does an automatic shipping rate,  Brett will refund difference.  He's aboutb2-3 weeks in queue on average.  I think it was 12-15 days between order and shipping

Thanks for the link. I have been looking for a Jordan Spreader for a few weeks now.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away