Author Topic: Interurbans are trains too  (Read 8652 times)

sd45elect2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +452
Re: Interurbans are trains too
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2021, 11:01:40 AM »
Very nice models! Do any of you have plans to "run the wire"? (catenary)

Yes. I am going to use wire to power the Milwaukee road electrics with pantographs. I haven't decided yet on the interurban cars.

sd45elect2000

• Crew
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2021, 01:41:57 PM »
I'm not sure how I ended up with three Electroliners but. I'f anyone else wants one here are the materials I used to this point. I used several different grits of sandpaper and several coats of Mr. Surfacer.

I do not know how much I would or should sell one for because of all the labor to smooth out the prints.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1241
    • Modutrak
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2021, 09:52:14 AM »
+1
I'm not sure how I ended up with three Electroliners but. I'f anyone else wants one here are the materials I used to this point. I used several different grits of sandpaper and several coats of Mr. Surfacer.

I do not know how much I would or should sell one for because of all the labor to smooth out the prints.

(Attachment Link)

Well, if you do decide what your time is worth, I'm an interested party to an Electroliner. 

bbunge

• Crew
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2021, 11:21:29 AM »
+6
I've really enjoyed the challenge of making something out of bits and pieces - the kitbashing.  I'll push this out a bit to more traction - streetcars. 

In my youth, I rode Kansas City Public Service 472 when my father was active at the Ohio Railway Museum in Worthington, Ohio in the 1960's.  When he was motorman, he would sometimes allow my bother and I to operate the car under close supervision. 

When I saw a pair of Model Power "Brill" cars for $5 at a show, it took about 10 seconds for the project to formulate.  One of the bodies were cut up, various other mods made.  The chassis is a TU-16A from PlazaJapan.  On my 3-foot long straight city scene with no turn outs, it runs quite well.  A bit too fast, but perhaps one day I'll work on that. 

While I've considered wire, I have pushed that off because of the difficultly keeping the track clean let alone doing work on the street, adding figures, details, etc.  Having the wires in the way would make it even more difficult and no solution has jump out.  Even then, a source of operating trolley poles would be most welcome.  I'm using a Circuitron AS-2 for the automatic reverse.  I would love to see more options for this, as it is a bit clunky and the relays have blown once (Circuitron had EXCELLENT customer service). 

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2021, 11:49:14 AM »

(Attachment Link)
+1 for the "One Shot" paint.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

sd45elect2000

• Crew
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2021, 02:43:50 PM »
+4

Our British friends are active traction modelers !

sd45elect2000

• Crew
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2021, 02:45:37 PM »
I've really enjoyed the challenge of making something out of bits and pieces - the kitbashing.  I'll push this out a bit to more traction - streetcars. 

In my youth, I rode Kansas City Public Service 472 when my father was active at the Ohio Railway Museum in Worthington, Ohio in the 1960's.  When he was motorman, he would sometimes allow my bother and I to operate the car under close supervision. 

When I saw a pair of Model Power "Brill" cars for $5 at a show, it took about 10 seconds for the project to formulate.  One of the bodies were cut up, various other mods made.  The chassis is a TU-16A from PlazaJapan.  On my 3-foot long straight city scene with no turn outs, it runs quite well.  A bit too fast, but perhaps one day I'll work on that. 

While I've considered wire, I have pushed that off because of the difficultly keeping the track clean let alone doing work on the street, adding figures, details, etc.  Having the wires in the way would make it even more difficult and no solution has jump out.  Even then, a source of operating trolley poles would be most welcome.  I'm using a Circuitron AS-2 for the automatic reverse.  I would love to see more options for this, as it is a bit clunky and the relays have blown once (Circuitron had EXCELLENT customer service). 

They look great , what a neat project !!

sd45elect2000

• Crew
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2021, 02:49:30 PM »
+1 for the "One Shot" paint.

Man the stuff works great !! The shade I used is a close match to the actual color. The downside it that it is VERY expensive. I used almost 1/4 of the can on three Electroliners so I think I got my moneys worth. Unless I paint some more of them I'll be tossing over half a can...

sd45elect2000

• Crew
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2021, 02:53:51 PM »
+4

I think the one shot paint looks pretty good !

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2021, 03:09:48 PM »
More good stuff above!

While I've considered wire, I have pushed that off because of the difficultly keeping the track clean let alone doing work on the street, adding figures, details, etc.  Having the wires in the way would make it even more difficult and no solution has jump out. 

100% understood. The thought of building and maintaining overhead wires has always done this to me ---->  :scared:

Even then, a source of operating trolley poles would be most welcome. 

Some of you might be aware of this: Miniatures by Eric offers three styles of "working poles":

https://www.miniaturesbyeric.com/collections/n-scale-trolley-parts

Mark

Northshorer

• Respect: +5
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2021, 04:48:31 AM »
+2
Thanks to Randy for posting my picture of the CNS&M #606 overhead line car. It's completed and lightly weathered, though the numbers should be black not silver (but all I have at the moment - they will get changed!!) It is unpowered, so a couple of figures have been added to match a photo  I have, and it will be static somewhere on the layout.

When I first started with the North Shore cars I did wonder what to do for trolley poles - to buy they were either too expensive ($25 is a lot when you have 30+ cars to do), or oversized (a 2mm pole is 12"+ thick). In the end I decided to use 0.015" piano wire with a Microtrains coupler spring to hide the bend where it attaches to the body.

I think it looks OK, if not totally prototypical!! (having done all the cars, it's too late to change now!)

Regards
David
(North Yorks, UK)

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1241
    • Modutrak
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2021, 08:53:57 AM »
(Attachment Link)

I think the one shot paint looks pretty good !

I can smell the electroburgers!

sd45elect2000

• Crew
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2021, 03:43:26 PM »
I can smell the electroburgers!

There used to be a company, I think it was called olfactory airs, pity, I could have added the scent to my diners.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2021, 05:56:38 PM »
There's a guy who does railroad diner coffees based on the original roaster recipes. He has an Electroliner version.

sd45elect2000

• Crew
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2021, 06:23:29 PM »
There's a guy who does railroad diner coffees based on the original roaster recipes. He has an Electroliner version.

Believe it or not , I actually have some , I ordered it about three months ago.

Randy