Author Topic: New SP baggage car kit coming from WoT  (Read 2965 times)

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
New SP baggage car kit coming from WoT
« on: February 21, 2021, 07:28:37 PM »
+2
http://www.wheelsotime.com/sp-economy-baggage/

Good to see more head end cars - and a new KIT.  Also a new truck style for use under the baggage.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 08:43:08 PM by GaryHinshaw »
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

SP-Wolf

• Crew
  • Respect: +1815
Re: New SP baggage car kit coming from WoT
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 08:03:15 AM »
This is cool!!

Thanks,
Wolf

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +561
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 09:17:11 AM »
Anybody know the axle spacing on those new trucks?  (I am looking for candidates to bash into the rather unique version used under B&O's rather unique C-15 express cars.)

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3119
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 12:59:34 PM »
Anybody know the axle spacing on those new trucks?  (I am looking for candidates to bash into the rather unique version used under B&O's rather unique C-15 express cars.)

Since the WOT model uses Shapeways prints,  you could contact me here for a design quote for EXACTLY the truck you want if you have relatively straight on images or better yet, a reasonable drawing of the truck:

http://www.keystonedetails.com/suggest-a-product

Maletrain

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 02:26:40 PM »
Since the WOT model uses Shapeways prints,  you could contact me here for a design quote for EXACTLY the truck you want if you have relatively straight on images or better yet, a reasonable drawing of the truck:

Now that I know the WoT trucks are 3D prints, I am a little less interested in them, because I like my axles rolling in Delrin.  My hope was to print or otherwise put together overlays that would preserve the Delrin bearing surface. 

The actual trucks have 6'-6" axle spacing and look like this (on the flat car, not under it):
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

on a car that looks like this:

I do have better pictures of the trucks, somewhere.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 02:31:37 PM by Maletrain »

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7949
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 02:32:30 PM »
They look like the long lost grandson of a Fox truck.

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1240
    • Modutrak
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 02:48:56 PM »
These are useful baggage cars.  I'm pretty sure the GM&O economy baggage cars were similar, if not the same. 

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3119
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2021, 03:44:36 PM »
Now that I know the WoT trucks are 3D prints, I am a little less interested in them, because I like my axles rolling in Delrin.  My hope was to print or otherwise put together overlays that would preserve the Delrin bearing surface. 

The actual trucks have 6'-6" axle spacing and look like this (on the flat car, not under it):
(Attachment Link)

on a car that looks like this:
(Attachment Link)

I do have better pictures of the trucks, somewhere.

You might be surprised as how well they roll and how durable they are.  My trucks roll just as well as any truck on the market, when the axle pockets are cleaned properly (FUD). Resin prints will not need that.

Maletrain

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2021, 03:52:20 PM »
They look like the long lost grandson of a Fox truck.

Further research showed that my post had a lot of misnformation.  Correction below:

The trucks on B&O C-15 express cars were made by the Pressed Steel Car Company, which made various types of trucks known as "Fox Trucks".  Spookshow has some pix of what is available in N scale that shows some of the variations http://www.spookshow.net/trucks/fox.html .  But not the particular variation I will need.

The trucks on the B&O C-15 express cars were made by the Standard Steel Car Company and should be called "Standard Steel Car passenger trucks".

These trucks had nothing to do with Fox trucks or Pressed Steel Car Company.    Trucks are of pressed steel construction, small "p", small "s".    By the time B&O had these cars built in 1929, all Fox truck patents had expired after 17 years from filing.

Correct information provided by Jim Mischke, with the B&O Historical Society.  So, I believe it to be most accurate.  (There seems to be a lot of misinformation out there about "Fox trucks".)

« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 08:42:56 AM by Maletrain »

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2021, 04:40:16 PM »
These are useful baggage cars.  I'm pretty sure the GM&O economy baggage cars were similar, if not the same.

Are those the cars that they bought from D&H?  They do look similar. 

In any case, quite a number of roads had "economy" baggage cars in one form or another.  I would think the WoT car could be a "stand in" for quite a few if one is willing to accept a few feet of variation in length or door spacing, and play around with the specifics like door window sizes and vents.

It's almost a "streamlined Harriman".
Tom D.

GhengisKong

• Crew
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2021, 07:20:03 PM »
I'm glad to see Matt doing resin casting again. I wonder if he has any injection molded passenger cars in the pipeline?

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2021, 08:40:29 PM »

John, I'd take a set of these -

That's a 9' wheel base.

Rock Island had very similar cars but with different truck and also truck centers it looks like.

Jason
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 08:42:37 PM by wcfn100 »

BruceStikkers

• Crew
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2021, 09:26:21 PM »
Nice looking kit but by the time you buy the car ($37.99 MSRP) and extras it will be a fairly expensive car.

What you need -
Dark Lark Gray paint, CA glue, Gold Metal Models set 160-56 (grab irons); 160-26 (steps). Or you can fashion them from 0.010 metal wires to form your own grab irons.
33” metal Fox Valley or equivalent wheels - 0.540” point to point.
Micro-Trains 1015 couplers.

Bruce Stikkers
St. Joseph, IL

Wutter

• Crew
  • Respect: +247
    • Wutter Vehicles and Details
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2021, 02:15:08 AM »
+1
I hope some better images will be posted, from the raw resin casting it looks like every other roof panel is raised for some reason instead of regular panel lines :? Looking at the prototype pictures it seems like the cars just have regular panel lines instead of alternating raised panels.
Alvin
Wutter Vehicles and Details
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/wuttervehicles

tehachapi highlight reel:

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2021, 10:23:02 AM »
I hope some better images will be posted, from the raw resin casting it looks like every other roof panel is raised for some reason instead of regular panel lines :? Looking at the prototype pictures it seems like the cars just have regular panel lines instead of alternating raised panels.
On many/most ACF built cars, alternate panels on the roof did overlap- scrolling down on the WoT product page there is a prototype photo that shows this- but it is very subtle, because roof sheets are thin.  The problem, I think, it that this is exaggerated in the model, and further exaggerated by the "dramatic" single source lighting from a steep angle (no doubt to "highlight" detail).  If they want to model the roof correctly, those panels would be something like an 1/8" thick (I should look that up, maybe 1/4"?) which would be less than .001 in N scale. 

Kato did a good job with this on the ACF cars included in the Super Chief set (and I assume other ACF cars)- frankly, I can hardly see the difference in thickness, but I can feel it.  Also, the overlapping panels are slightly wider than the "under" panels.

The exaggeration of this detail is not uncommon in models- I have some "harriman" roofs done in resin 30 years ago to fit Rivarossi cars that  have the same issue.  Ironically, on the harriman roof WoT resin cars I have - which must be 25(?) years old or more, this detail is much more subtle (and correct).
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 10:25:02 AM by thomasjmdavis »
Tom D.