Author Topic: Weekend Update 9/1/19  (Read 9639 times)

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2098

Richie Dost

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1636
Re: Weekend Update 9/1/19
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 07:34:46 PM »
+3
I’d like to have my Pacific Starlight Dinner train finished for the Brampton train show in Oct so I pulled it out of the drawer and did an inventory of what needs to be done to “finish” it. It’s run-able now but I’d like to finish it.

On the list was marker lights for the business car and the power car (the loco ran around the train for the return journey).

Thanks again to @peteski ‘s constant lighting circuit both cars are now up and running. For the business car I already had the circuit running interior lighting so I added a 15k resistor and a red LED, which feed the fibre optics.

The power car runs in Micro-trains BX Express trucks. The Fox Valley Wheels  are insulated so I fashioned pick up wipers from brass. Other than that it’s the same set up.

Also thanks to @CNR5529 for the tip on where to strategically stick some insulating material on the Atlas frame in the CRS20 (Atlas RS11 chassis). This loco was complete but recently developed a gremlin where everything worked but the motor. I opened it up and everything looked to be in order (I had previously soldered the motor tabs to the motor wires. I described the issue and he knew right away what to do, turning what I thought would be hours of surgery in to 15 minutes of easy work. I dreaded opening this loco up as it has 12 LEDs for the lighting.... 6 at each end.

So now it’s on to cosmetic stuff.

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 08:26:11 PM »
+22
Big push this week to finish the last unscenicked portion of the RGS.  Ophir Loop is perhaps the most recognizable scene in all of Colorado narrow gauge railroading, so it was important to get it as right as I could in a compressed space.  All the structures in the scene are modeled as they appeared in the mid-1940s.

And lastly I decided my Rockies needed to be rockier (Dumb and Dumber anyone?) so I transported the mountains near Dallas Divide on the RGS to the area between Gallagher and Rico:

Also two videos for this weekend.  The longer video is the August 2019 layout update (and thanks @davefoxx for pointing out my exceptional spelling of the word "Grande" on the title slide... :facepalm:) and the short one is the runby through Ophir from that update video.

What a great weekend to JFRT!

mark dance

• Crew
  • Respect: +1279
    • The N Scale Columbia and Western
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 09:32:12 PM »
+8
No modelling for me this week...what little hobby time there was was filled with preparing and testing the C&W for next weekend's VanRail op sessions.

A moderate-sized layout like the C&W is one #@*#'ing complicated machine!  There are just so many parts, custom made and purchased, and hardware and software systems that have to work together for the whole thing to function that it boggles my mind.  And that is all before the "wetware" shows up!  Plus, it isn't really adequate for the layout just to function: it has function flawlessly while providing just enough but not too much challenge to keep 8 experienced operators busy and entertained for 3 to 4 hours without killing the home road crew (me!) :)

Yes these model railroads are truly fascinating machines! 

Still, even though preparing the layout for a session is more like work than I would prefer and no real progress is made for the energy expended, I do find it strangely satisfying to have it all ready to go.

Here are the consists for the westbounds out of Nelson all positioned on the ready tracks waiting for the session to start. 

Behind them are two wayfreights - the Slocan and Kraft jobs - made up and ready to go on the arrival/departure tracks with their cars tags directing their destinations.

Now back to preparing the rest of the layout!

Have a great (long) weekend!

md
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 02:17:14 PM by mark dance »
Youtube Videos of the N Scale Columbia & Western at: markdance63
Photos and track plan of of the N Scale Columbia & Western at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27907618@N02/sets/72157624106602402/

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 09:49:45 PM »
+5
It’s been a few years, so I experimented with some static grass this evening.  Clearly, I’m no Dave Vollmer when it comes to scenery, but here is the first attempt:

This is all still sopping wet, so as it dries, I’ll continue to take the vacuum to it, to pull out loose fibers and to coax the fibers to stand up better.  It’s a little sparse for my tastes (especially when viewed from above), so I’ll probably go at it with a second application after it dries.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

cbroughton67

• Crew
  • Respect: +1699
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 10:05:25 PM »
Big push this week to finish the last unscenicked portion of the RGS.  Ophir Loop is perhaps the most recognizable scene in all of Colorado narrow gauge railroading, so it was important to get it as right as I could in a compressed space.  All the structures in the scene are modeled as they appeared in the mid-1940s.

@Dave V, your modeling makes me want to take-up slot car racing or building model airplanes. Seriously, I don't think I have the words to express how awe'd I am. Absolutely beautiful, superbly-executed modeling, sir. Kudos.

Chris

Chris Broughton
MMR #650

Darwin was an optimist.

cbroughton67

• Crew
  • Respect: +1699
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 10:16:41 PM »
+6
I put the finishing touches on my Key brass PRR H8sa 2-8-0 this week - weathering, adding window "glass," adding a crew, and a coal load for the tender. This follows the installation of a Soundtraxx Tsunami2 sound decoder, TCS KA4 Keep-Alive, and a 8x12mm sugar-cube speaker. The keep-alive required milling-out the slope sheet in the coal bunker. That and a shoe-horn made it all fit. I have the Key H10 and H9 as well, also with sound & keep-alive installed, so I'm excited to have this H8sa completed to round-out the collection of Key's H-class trio.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 09:02:03 PM by cbroughton67 »
Chris Broughton
MMR #650

Darwin was an optimist.

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 10:25:16 PM »
+1

@Dave V, your modeling makes me want to take-up slot car racing or building model airplanes. Seriously, I don't think I have the words to express how awe'd I am. Absolutely beautiful, superbly-executed modeling, sir. Kudos.

Chris

LOL...  You say that and then you follow up with a video of your N scale Pennsy that made my Juniata Division look like amateur hour.  You surely have no need to be awed by anything I've done!  Your work is exceptional and beyond my own.

squirrelhunter

• Crew
  • Respect: +165
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2019, 11:03:02 PM »
Wow that is amazing Dave!

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5382
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2019, 11:05:55 PM »
+5
I worked on a scene for some future module...

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=47802.0

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2019, 08:02:18 AM »
+12

NtheBasement

• Crew
  • Respect: +287
    • Moving coal in N scale
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2019, 10:13:08 AM »
Outstanding work on these threads.  @Dave V, I'm awed every time I see a pic of your retaining wall.
Moving coal the old way: https://youtu.be/RWJVt4r_pgc
Moving coal the new way: https://youtu.be/sN25ncLMI8k

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2019, 10:36:51 AM »
Outstanding work on these threads.  @Dave V, I'm awed every time I see a pic of your retaining wall.

Thanks!  But no need for awe...I bashed them together from Grandt Line HO scale log plastic retaining wall sections.

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +1828
    • Skally Line Blog
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2019, 04:38:23 PM »
+5
I started working on the newest UP MOW train.
Both cabs are done, but I still have a few more pieces to print up.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.

rickb773

• Crew
  • Rickb773
  • Respect: +637
    • Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2019, 08:10:42 PM »
+7
Rarely am I this ambitious ... but I guess I’ll ride the wave while it lasts.
The end of the current scenery “wave”: the last peninsula end construction before the next op session.

“Completed” Laurel St between Cooper St and Hunter Ave in Woodbury. (Still needs lights, people, weathering, and detailing.)

Also extended Washington Ave in North Woodbury (although it now curves in the opposite direction of the prototype).

At least now a portion of the bulbous peninsula end has been broken up and somewhat disguised.

Now I have 3 weeks left to tune the 63 switches and find out why a main Pavonia Yard lead no longer gets power. @Ntrainz1 stopped by this morning to get the process started. It is so great to have help.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 08:12:33 PM by rickb773 »