Author Topic: Weekend Update 2/17/19  (Read 6881 times)

nscalbitz

• Crew
  • Respect: +35
Re: Weekend Update 2/17/19
« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2019, 05:31:01 AM »
My decades-old kitbash is finally approaching completion --.... Look like a Willie Wonka factory when I'm done.

I'd work on levelling the foundations before contemplating any plaster work, however...  :trollface:
dave

mcjaco

• Crew
  • Respect: +86
    • MiNi Modutrak
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2019, 09:32:29 AM »
+1
The good parts are really good yes; the joints are horrific tho!  :facepalm:

The joys of modular railroading.  No matter how well we get the joints together first thing in the morning, as the temps and humidity rise and fall in a show building, they open up, buckle, come out of alignment.  Most of the time, more in vertical play then horizontal.  If the trains roll through without issue you tend to leave things be.  And as always cameras zoomed in, show even the smallest bumps as massive heaves. 

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2019, 02:09:17 PM »
The joys of modular railroading.  No matter how well we get the joints together first thing in the morning, as the temps and humidity rise and fall in a show building, they open up, buckle, come out of alignment.  Most of the time, more in vertical play then horizontal.
Since your group appears to have developed its own standard for module construction, by what means are adjacent modules leveled, aligned and held together?

mcjaco

• Crew
    • MiNi Modutrak
« Reply #78 on: February 19, 2019, 03:37:54 PM »
Since your group appears to have developed its own standard for module construction, by what means are adjacent modules leveled, aligned and held together?

There's a little bit about our construction techniques here: http://www.modutrak.com/our-layout/our-layout/

The legs Skibbe came up with support two module ends (they look like a Y), and originally had carriage bolts that would act as a clamping device.  We found just using C clamps worked better.  So we align the modules, and clamp away.  I think we had the layout aligned, and up in running without much issue this past weekend, in a little over an hour. 

As some of the older modules are getting up there in age, there's been some odd de-lamination (we think) of the top plate on the masonite spline.  That's where you'll see some of that weird "hump" at the module ends.  None of it is as noticeable in person, as it is on super zoomed in focused video. 

Build and Electric Manuals are here:  http://www.modutrak.com/forums/index.php?forums/modutrak-public-forum.10/

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #79 on: February 19, 2019, 06:12:03 PM »
There's a little bit about our construction techniques here: http://www.modutrak.com/our-layout/our-layout/
The legs Skibbe came up with support two module ends (they look like a Y), and originally had carriage bolts that would act as a clamping device.  We found just using C clamps worked better.  So we align the modules, and clamp away.  I think we had the layout aligned, and up in running without much issue this past weekend, in a little over an hour. 
As some of the older modules are getting up there in age, there's been some odd de-lamination (we think) of the top plate on the masonite spline.  That's where you'll see some of that weird "hump" at the module ends.  None of it is as noticeable in person, as it is on super zoomed in focused video. 
Build and Electric Manuals are here:  http://www.modutrak.com/forums/index.php?forums/modutrak-public-forum.10/
I had looked at the manuals on that site, but there didn't seem to be any specific info about how adjacent modules were interconnected.
As fussy as installing them can sometimes be, the Ntrak standard connecting tracks can help compensate for a certain amount of imprecision between the ends of modules.

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +115
« Reply #80 on: February 19, 2019, 09:09:25 PM »
+3
Salvaged a corner module from my old layout, working on the elements of the scene one of which is a walthers water tower and a Monroe models country road bridge. Need to replace the peppergrass with super trees and of course add a backdrop.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

mcjaco

• Crew
    • MiNi Modutrak
« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2019, 10:18:21 AM »
I had looked at the manuals on that site, but there didn't seem to be any specific info about how adjacent modules were interconnected.
As fussy as installing them can sometimes be, the Ntrak standard connecting tracks can help compensate for a certain amount of imprecision between the ends of modules.

I've been in three modular groups.  Everyone of them had a different way of interconnecting.  One did the NTrak method, one had the rails cut back two inches back, and we inserted rail, and the Modutrak method.  Honestly, the Modutrak method IMHO has been the easiest most forgiving.  It hasn't been until recently that some of our older ones developed the little hiccup hill at the ends, but again, the video exacerbates the issue with it being zoomed in. It's not as noticeable in person.   

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Respect: +550
    • THE IMPOSSIBLE RAILROAD
« Reply #82 on: February 20, 2019, 01:45:43 PM »
+6
Tis' the season for relocation. We are heading to Arizona next month and the Ponderosa Sub found a new home. It was
sold to a group for a Christmas Village display in Juneau. Next stop T-Trak and the sub relocating to rep. BNSF mainline
in Northern Arizona. Williams to Flagstaff one of my favorite stretches in the world. Last shot before it left.

Chuck Geiger
Page, AZ
provencountrypd@gmail.com

milw156

• Crew
  • Respect: +59
    • Modutrak
« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2019, 11:12:35 PM »
+6
Some pics I took at Mad City Model RR show this past weekend

and a few videos from Sunday
/>

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +625
    • Skally Line Blog
« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2019, 07:11:35 PM »
+9
I made a little progress on my LowBoy trailer and side boom project.
Karl
CEO of the Skally Line, an Eastern MN Shortline.

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +152
« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2019, 03:48:35 AM »

That Rig is HAWT.  :o
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +265
« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2019, 11:23:58 PM »
(Attachment Link)

The tractor is really impressive.

Craig.

peteski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1896
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2019, 01:50:12 AM »
That Rig is HAWT.  :o

It looks like one of those $40 Tranworx rigs.  Those are very nicely decorated.
--- Peteski de Snarkski
--- Honorary Resident Curmudgeon

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +625
    • Skally Line Blog
« Reply #88 on: February 25, 2019, 10:06:40 AM »
It looks like one of those $40 Tranworx rigs.  Those are very nicely decorated.

The tractor is Train-Worx. Worth every penny. I think I have seven of their tractors on my layout, on average they cost me less than $20 each. The trailer is Showcase Miniatures, and the side boom is Railway Express.
Karl
CEO of the Skally Line, an Eastern MN Shortline.

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +301
« Reply #89 on: February 25, 2019, 12:41:14 PM »
Karl, what did you use for the gravel/dirt road? It looks great too!
Russ