Author Topic: Small transfer shed scratchbuild from streetview  (Read 1744 times)

freedj

• Crew
  • Respect: +297
Small transfer shed scratchbuild from streetview
« on: January 22, 2019, 10:07:24 AM »
+2
While scrolling around on the google maps satalite view for my area I came across this neat little transfer shed:
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Google Maps Link

Its a great little building at 32 x 28'.  I build a cardboard mockup to see how it fit on the layout.  There were a few math errors as I back calculated based on the number of pixels and known distances so the height came out a bit wrong, it should be taller than the boxcar:

I really liked how it, but it turned out just a bit big for the space I have.  I made a model in sketchup and compressed the width a by just a around .25".
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 10:12:10 AM by freedj »

freedj

• Crew
Re: Small transfer shed scratchbuild from streetview
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 10:25:50 AM »
+1
I made a styrene foundation in the new size:

And have cut the main wall sections out of some corrugated siding and cut the door openings.  I am planning on trimming out the openings with plain styrene and then using some much smaller pitch siding styrene for the roof peaks and rolling doors.

I still need to figure out how i am going to handle the roofing.  The prototype uses standing seam roofing and I couldn't find any in the LHS that is small enough.  I may just go with a rolled roof for this one.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5348
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 08:14:54 PM »
I've used Evergreen board and batten siding for standing seam.  The batten are a bit chunky but you can sand them down if you like, and once it's painted and weathered it looks fine.
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Mark W

• Crew
  • Respect: +2125
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 08:36:47 PM »
+1
This is awesome DJ!   I have a special love for scratch building from streetview.  It's not about measuring the prototype down to the quarter inch, or even replicating the exact materials. Often, you don't even get a view from all angles!  It's just about making it work with the supplies and reference you have (and for me, often with as little effort as possible!).

On top of that, this is a very interesting little shed to build.  Can't wait to see the next update!
Contact me about custom model building.
Learn more about Free-moNebraska.
Learn more about HOn3-mo.

freedj

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 11:27:25 PM »
+2
Great suggestion Lee!  I found the evergreen board and batten at the LHS on Tuesday and then spent some quality time trying to cut those little triangles that go in the peaks.  I called it quits after my third method failed.  Turns out I just needed to leave myself a "handle" on the piece in order to cut the angles and then I could trim off the finished triangle from the handle.  I got the roof roughed in today.  I also got all the bay doors cut and the trim attached.

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 05:42:32 AM »
While scrolling around on the google maps satalite view for my area I came across this neat little transfer shed:

Its a great little building at 32 x 28'.  I build a cardboard mockup to see how it fit on the layout.  There were a few math errors as I back calculated based on the number of pixels and known distances so the height came out a bit wrong, it should be taller than the boxcar:
(Attachment Link)

I think you got it right. Just a quick look makes me think the building at its peak is probably about 16' tall. Looking at the man door is what makes me think this. The door facing the tracks is most likely 10' tall and 8' wide. Also just guessing but I would think it's about a 4' high foundation.

Just my observations.
Jon[/b]

freedj

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 09:27:53 AM »
You've got a great eye!  Those are the dimensions i settled on after doing a lot of photo manipulation and math!

freedj

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 11:24:38 AM »
+1
Only the truck loading dock plates and the power meter left to add before weathering.  I am not quite sure what to use for those though. The gaps are from the foundation, building, and roof structure still being separate pieces.

I am pretty disappointed in the focus this photo though.

CRL

• Crew
  • Needs More Dirt.
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 06:08:05 PM »
According to google earth overhead measuring tool, this building is 33’ long by 29’ wide. You could interpolate the other measurements from these numbers, then adjust as needed.

freedj

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 07:34:00 AM »
The last of the details are on!  I am going to give this a coat of dull coat once it warms up around here and call it done for now.  I'll weather it up after it has its permanent spot on the layout.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5348
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2019, 08:22:47 AM »
If you have a clear plastic sprue you can carve out a lens for that power meter.  Or just apply a dot of clear gel CA and let it set.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net