So here's the picture from the weekend update again.
I was hoping to have some more, but I've been at the work bench trying to get an idea of what I've got here, and i think I have a good sense of it now.
First, the good news - it works and looks great. I even have a new method for fusing the coupler that allows for much easier opening. I put together some Kato Unitrack curves alternating left and right and there's enough coupler swing so far - haven't gotten to 90' cars yet - that there are no issues. The couplers can be too far off center to not couple the first time without lining them up a bit, but to have enough swing, that's just going to be life for now.
The bad news - I don't think I can get around needed flat head screws.
I didn't want to have to use them primarily for cost as it adds about .50 cents per install. I'm still in the testing phase, but it looks like the screw is always going to hover around the outer axle on most freight cars. Passenger cars and freight cars with longer couplers won't have this issue. I've been tightening the coupler down and grinding the head until it clears the axle, but that's not a good long term solution.
If anyone really wants to try these out, I'm comfortable making them public for purchase, just let me know.
Hopefully some more pictures tomorrow (I have some parts soaking now), and maybe even a video.
Rev. 3 looks like a slight change for a flat head screw, and I may possibly look at making the the hole for the screw into a slot which would give a lot more freedom when trying to install, especially when there's already holes from the factory in the same area.