Author Topic: B&O Wagontop Caboose Decal options  (Read 2213 times)

SD452XR

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
B&O Wagontop Caboose Decal options
« on: September 11, 2011, 02:47:34 PM »
Anyone know where I can get some decals for a couple B&O wagontop cabooses?

Steve

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5399
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: B&O Wagontop Caboose Decal options
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 07:49:51 PM »
I've got a sheet of them covering several eras.  Do you have an extra set of the etchings?  Perhaps we can engineer a swap...
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

SD452XR

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 09:23:33 AM »
Lee,

These are JnJ kits. By the look of them not sure if there will be any extra etchings. If there are I will let you know. I was able to secure some decals. Thanks though.

Steve

rogergperkins

• Crew
  • Modeling the B&O in central IL in autumn of 1940's
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 10:02:22 AM »
I know I read on one of the other forums that some one created some decals for these.

I would like to have a couple of the &O Wagontop Caboose, but have not found them listed.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4193
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 11:39:47 AM »
Wasn't there an article in NSM a couple of years back that featured a B&O Wagontop construction article, where the author deco'd the car in numerous schemes?  It might be worth reviewing that to see what the author used.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 11:54:20 AM »
Skipgear created decals for the Wagontop cabeese.

The S.

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 01:07:06 PM »
Etchings, I need etchings!!!  I've got the shell and the frame, but nothing to doll it up!

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +458
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 01:18:51 PM »
Etchings, I need etchings!!!  I've got the shell and the frame, but nothing to doll it up!

Lee

Mabey?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130477296412?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Possibly?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/N-SCALE-ETCHED-BRASS-CABOOSE-ENDRAILS-FINE-PEB-01-/140511997214?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item20b72aed1e

I'm not real familer with the details on the ends of the wagon tops, but I have been watching these for another project I have been planning.
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

chessie system fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +443
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 02:16:14 PM »
Those etchings won't work well with the JnJ shell because of they way it is designed.  Here's a pic of Tony's so you can compare.  The end is all one piece.

Lee, I plan on etching my own steps sometime soon (as you can see in the pic, JnJ decided to make the steps too long for whatever strange reason, and I'd like accurate ones).  I already have it drawn.  It's just a matter of priorities, time and motivation.  It would not be much effort to do the entire etching, so if you would like me to make an extra copy for you, we can work out some kind of trade.
Aaron Bearden

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 01:32:41 AM »
The biggest problem with the end rails is the ladder. B&O ladders are on the left side of the car when looking from the end. Most everything else done uses the ladder on the right. It's not just a matter of flipping the etchings over because the brake stand should be on the left side in both cases.

The JNJ Wagontop kits are still available, even though for how long is unknown. Troy from JNJ is looking to sell the business. Our shop has a few hanging on the wall and Walthers is still stocking them.

My only complaint with the car is that the windows on the bay are too low and the bay is a little to narrow.
Tony Hines

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 09:31:19 AM »
The set also includes all the other grabs and the roofwalk, too, which is also reverse of what's normally available due to the ladder issue.  I had bought the kit I have thinking it was a complete kit, but it turned out to just be the shell.  I had another kit that I completed as a commission for the Brunswick Railroad Museum, and I really liked how it turned out... I'd like to finish the other one.

When I last looked at the JnJ site, the wagontop caboose was not listed as being available.  I'll have another look.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

SkipGear

• Crew
Tony Hines

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 11:36:14 AM »
Lee,
Why not contact JnJ and say "I bought this off some putz on Ebay...said it was complete...yadda yadda". They might hook you with some etching "2nds" maybe?

The S.

SkipGear

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 12:14:39 PM »
I offered to buy some of the etchings a long time ago and there were none available. He kit's them relative to the number of etchings he has. He keeps extra shells, not etches.
Tony Hines