Author Topic: WHere do you get their decoders/what decoders you use?  (Read 2545 times)

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +458
WHere do you get their decoders/what decoders you use?
« on: November 09, 2008, 08:26:46 PM »
so I am about half way done with "decodering" my locos, I have about 10 left of my 22 operational locomotives. After my computer crash, and replacement with a new computer I lost all my links, I was luck that I had a back up on a external HD, but it was over a year old. anyways, I need to know what sites do you guys use to buy your decoders from?

Also here is a list of locos I have left to decoder, and what decoder I plan on using. Any sugestions are welcome.

Atlas GP9TT(Non DCC) - TCS CN-GP
Kato SD40 (1st run) - TCS CN-GP
Kato F7A F7B (1st run) - Lenz Silver Mini, or equivelent sized decoder
Kato F3A (Custom built from 1st run parts) - Lenz Silver Mini, or equivelent sized decoder
Kato F3A K3B (New Run DCC Friendly) - MRC Drop in sound decoder, or Digitrax drop in.
Kato PA PB (DCC Friendly) - MRC Drop in sound decoder, or Digitrax drop in.
Minitrix B6b (0-6-0) - Lenz Silver Mini, or equivelent sized decoder
Rivirossi(?) 2-8-4 Berk - Lenz Silver Mini, or equivelent sized decoder
Class C climax (scratchbuilt) - Lenz Silver Mini, or equivelent sized decoder
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

bsoplinger

Re: WHere do you get their decoders/what decoders you use?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 02:54:05 PM »
I like dealing with Litchfield station vs Tony's in terms of the bigger online retailers. My personal preferences among the 3 'normal' companies that offer n-scale are that TCS makes the nicest and most expensive decoders, NCE makes the next best and also the cheapest decoders and Digitrax are OK in terms of performance and price. Lenz decoders are more expensive than TCS but do offer excellent motor control also.

If you have a new loco it doesn't make any difference but if you're trying to make a 30 year old loco or a train set quality (say a Life-Like or Bachmann) work then you're better off going with the TCS or NCE as their motor control is better than what Digtrax offers. In HO scale the NCE offering often has the same number or more functions for 5 bucks less than the Digtrax equivalent. Digitrax does offer their transponding feature, useful if you use it, useless if you don't ;)

You might want to think about using the Digtrax DZ125 in the F units, its about half the price and only slightly larger and you only need 1 function for a headlight. The Kato's run well enough that you don't need the extra features that the Lenz offers. Spend the couple of bucks, its 10 apiece + shipping, and get those non-DCC ready frames milled by Aztec its worth it IMHO.

CPGUY29

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 04:52:15 PM »
TCS decoders from DCC Hobby supply

diezmon

• Crew
  • Do they speak English in "What"?
  • Respect: +264
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 12:00:45 AM »
I get mine from Fifer hobbies, fiferhobby.com.. great prices and great service.

scootbird

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 12:15:37 AM »
Check with Chulvis at FeatherRiverTrains.com....he inventories NCE, Digitrax, Lenz & TCS at great prices.

Mike

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 03:30:20 AM »
Bruce at Litchfield Station is probably one of the more knowlegable DCC vendors if you're looking for some sort of DCC solution to a problem.  I look forward to seeing him at the local swap meets just to have the best selection of N scale decoders in the whole state (for the whole year) on one 2'x8' table.  I would buy more from him online,  but I have to pay tax (for about 7 more days).

Otherwise, Chuck's my guy ( and he's a model train professional  ;D).

Jason