Author Topic: making decals  (Read 2543 times)

caseyjonesole97

making decals
« on: February 16, 2006, 10:42:01 AM »
Howdy RW Gang, I would like to create my own decals for a 50' B&O boxcar. Carl T. (Choochin) told me that y'all have done so before. I would be grateful for any advice/help. Hey hey Ed, sorta miss ya at MBK's now. Respectfully Submitted, Pete J.

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
Re: making decals
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 08:58:48 PM »
The easy way to do it is to pick up some decal paper from decalpaper.com.  Create your 600dpi artwork and print!  Gregg has used microsoft word with good results (I've seen them), but you'll have more flexibility with a nice graphics program (like Photoshop).  Keep in mind that light colors (like white and yellow) are impossible to achieve on clear paper.

nscalesteve

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 09:21:28 PM »
thank you Tom, I was still collecting words to write a short but good answer...  :)

3rdrail

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 10:21:02 PM »
Since my name was mentioned, yes, I have made decals for a number of reefers using my Canon BJC 2000 printer. I have created them using MSWord as well as copying them from photos on the internet and using my Camedia photo editing program. The "Premier Malt" car you see on the header was made that way. I have made white and yellow end reporting marks using white decal paper and a color background to match the car paint, but the color matching is not easy and works best for very small decals like end reporting marks.

Unfortunately, only ALPS and Kodak First Proof printers print in white. The ALPS are no longer sold, but you can find used reconditioned ones. The Kodak is too expensive for amateur use.

There are several on here that make excellent custom decals, but I'll let them come forward themselves.