Author Topic: My first attempt...  (Read 4356 times)

elogger

My first attempt...
« on: February 08, 2006, 10:59:09 PM »
hey guys,

i've been a member here for a few months now and this is my first car. it was done for my buddies home road, the Coal Belt Railroad. i started out with weathering powders and hairspray and alcohol and acrylic paint washes and never could get anything to look right. so i eventually ended up using mineral spirits and artists oil paints...

so here it is, any comments would be greatly appreciated

thanks
jeremy

« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 11:07:49 PM by elogger »

3rdrail

Re: My first attempt...
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 11:27:15 PM »
Iff'n that's your first attempt, look out guys, there's a new master in yer midst. Summa us been at it fer years and the results ain't near as good!  :o

Seriously, congratulations, it's a really excellent job.  8)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7957
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 11:39:53 PM »
Yeah!
Thats really good stuff!!

Would his Coal Belt be related to the same one of turn of the century fame? I LOVED that layout.

elogger

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 02:12:23 AM »
thanks for the comments guys...

they are greatly appreciated :)

i'm pretty train ignorant, having just gotten into the hobby last may when the same buddy took me along to a hobby shop... soon after i found my way to this site and one other weathering site and after i got over the sensory overload of all this great work i was seeing, i decided i wanted to give it a try...

ed- no, this Coal Belt is a modern era rr based in eastern kentucky dealing with modern day coal operations in the appalachians... here's a link to his website, it's got some pretty cool stuff on it

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Pointe/9111/library/library.html

GonzoCRFan

• Crew
  • Respect: +117
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 12:46:19 PM »
Damn, if that's only your first attempt, I think the rest of us are pretty much screwed...
Sean

elogger

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 12:57:28 PM »
Damn, if that's only your first attempt, I think the rest of us are pretty much screwed...

lol :o... it did take me four months to complete if that's any consolation... besides, who's to say that i'll get any better at this stuff...

jeremy

cr6841

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2006, 01:55:14 AM »
i don't think you have to worry about getting better. your work is awesome. you'll be at the top not too long from now. keep posting your work.

elogger

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2006, 11:28:01 PM »
thanks cr...

i'm working on a railbox right now... hope to take considerably less time with this one than the last one...

jeremy

cr6841

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2006, 02:51:47 AM »
elogger,

take all the time you want. it's makes for a better model. never rush perfection.

matt a.

elogger

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2006, 11:47:02 PM »
elogger,

take all the time you want. it's makes for a better model. never rush perfection.

matt a.

i agree matt, i just think it should take a whole lot less time than the coil car considering the coil car was basically a whole lot of trying this and that and not being totally sure if what i had done was right... i think i have a little better grasp of what i want to do now that i've done one...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 04:02:51 PM by elogger »

The Donkey

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • The Donkey's Dirty Details
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2006, 05:14:37 AM »
Jeremy-looking forward to seeing your Railbox when it's finished-what type are you
modeling?
Myself I have several in various stages-3 "blue box" Athearn ACF cars, 1 MDC ABOX,
1 Athearn PS, & 2 Athearn FMC cars. (1 of the FMCs came out totally screwed, so
I'm gonna completely repaint & decal it!) The other FMC has only it's # removed at
this stage! (The "challenge" car is 1st prority for the next few weeks though!)

But you DO have the "touch" -& definitely looking forward to seeing MUCH more
from you!

Mitch
Mitch
They're not "Crown Victorias"-they're known
as "Police Interceptors"

http://ddd.shywolfsbeads.com/index.html
http://donkey.rrpicturearchives.net

elogger

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2006, 04:06:48 PM »
hey mitch,

it's an accurail fmc kit that i just started this week... i've got the patches done on one side, well, partially done... now i've been looking for rooftop shots for a little extra inspiration for the roof... i have yet to really find much of anything...

thanks for the kind words and good luck on your challenge car... i love checking out the entrants from month to month...

jeremy

whoops... spoke too soon... it's an acf car...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 05:04:09 PM by elogger »