Author Topic: T-Trak The N scale Pennsy Juniata Division 2.0 - T-TRAK!  (Read 35293 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Dave V

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12281
  • Gender: Male
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +11772
Re: The N scale Pennsy Juniata Division 2.0 - T-TRAK!
« Reply #450 on: October 06, 2026, 10:58:06 PM »
+2
It's cool. I know what this is...this just a warm-up. Not meant to be the "big one."

I'm leaning more heavily toward selling the HOn3 RGS completely and focusing solely on N scale PRR at our next house. This is just a bridge to that...and a means to JFRTM as soon as we arrive back East.

packers#1

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1627
  • Gender: Male
  • Modern Shortline Modeler
  • Respect: +897
Re: The N scale Pennsy Juniata Division 2.0 - T-TRAK!
« Reply #451 on: Yesterday at 08:58:04 AM »
+5
Side note, it never ceases to amaze me how so many suggestions from other model railroaders specifically revolve around how they would do things if they were doing it instead of how things could be done within the constraints of what the person building the layout is doing. I know a lot of people mean to be helpful but the tone just ends up ruining any helpfulness and many times results in suggestions which only tangentially relate to the actual goal of anything. But damn does it make it fun to read the comments here!  :ashat:
Sawyer
American manufacturing isn’t dead, it’s just gotten high tech

Dave V

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12281
  • Gender: Male
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +11772
Re: The N scale Pennsy Juniata Division 2.0 - T-TRAK!
« Reply #452 on: Yesterday at 09:39:04 AM »
+4
Folks are just trying to be helpful. The real challenge is that we don't always fully understand what the other guy is really trying to do, or how he envisions the finished product.

The other thing I'm trying to accomplish here is to do the most standard T-TRAK you can do, so, consistent with 90% of what you see at a show. Standard geometry, module lengths, Unitrack, etc. But...then kick it up a couple notches by adding prototype elements, painted/ballasted/weathered Unitrack, and more sophisticated scenic textures than you typically see.

Sure, you can break free and use (anything but Atlas) code 55, change up the rigid geometry, play with module sizes, shapes, etc. And I really respect work that does that. For example, @Ed Kapuscinski is pushing boundaries in this format. But for me, I thought it would be a fun challenge to keep within the most common T-TRAK features and see just how far I can push them.

I want someone to see my modules and immediately identify them as T-TRAK, but then come in for a closer look. I know that probably won't make sense to half of you, but that's OK.

Dave V

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12281
  • Gender: Male
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +11772
Re: The N scale Pennsy Juniata Division 2.0 - T-TRAK!
« Reply #453 on: Yesterday at 10:37:33 AM »
+4
For example... the negative space modules. Texture, terrain, etc. but otherwise as standard a single module as you can get.



I want to demonstrate that even with the most basic building block of T-TRAK, a little terrain and texture will go a long way toward realism.

Dave V

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12281
  • Gender: Male
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +11772
Re: The N scale Pennsy Juniata Division 2.0 - T-TRAK!
« Reply #454 on: Yesterday at 01:01:39 PM »
+5
I have a friend who recently purchased a 3D printer and has been looking for things to print. He's not a train guy, but he was able to find some files for PRR signs. I now have proper signage for my modules!


Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26112
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11612
    • Conrail 1285
Re: The N scale Pennsy Juniata Division 2.0 - T-TRAK!
« Reply #455 on: Yesterday at 02:31:06 PM »
+4
FYI, to everyone talking about four tracks, remember, Dave just thinks he's modeling the Middle Division. In reality, like so many other wise Pennsy modelers he'll realize he's really a Buffalo Line guy  :trollface:

Dave V

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12281
  • Gender: Male
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +11772
Re: The N scale Pennsy Juniata Division 2.0 - T-TRAK!
« Reply #456 on: Yesterday at 02:49:28 PM »
0
FYI, to everyone talking about four tracks, remember, Dave just thinks he's modeling the Middle Division. In reality, like so many other wise Pennsy modelers he'll realize he's really a Buffalo Line guy  :trollface:

Haha, LOL. For context for everyone else, there's a theory that ever Pennsy modeler eventually models the Buffalo Line.

The combination of heavy traffic on just two tracks through mountain scenery and Middle Division-quality infrastructure (plus some cool scenes like Sunbury, Norry, and Renovo) makes it much more model-able than the Middle Division while keeping the heavy-duty railroading that makes Pennsy appealing...just scaled to more manageable levels. All your favorites were still there... M1s, I1s, L1s, Sharks, F-units, passenger and mail trains, and so forth.

I may go a different direction in the future and just do vignettes...some prototype scenes, some "generic." There are two HO scale model railroads based on Pennsy at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania. One's a relatively faithful model of the Middle Division including Lewistown, Granville Bridge, Mifflin, and the Denholm Coal Wharf. The other is a vignettes-style layout with "almost Philadelphia," "almost Lancaster," and "almost Mount Union."

The latter appeals to me for the very reason that I want to model more than one section of the Pennsy. I love the urban electrified stuff. I love the Amish country stuff. I love the Middle Division running. And I love the area around Altoona. So much to choose from, but limited space, time, and money. So vignettes may be the answer.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 02:51:11 PM by Dave V »

Dave V

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12281
  • Gender: Male
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +11772
Re: The N scale Pennsy Juniata Division 2.0 - T-TRAK!
« Reply #457 on: Today at 12:08:39 AM »
+2
Working on Huntingdon again. Nothing like a show to kick one's a$$ into gear...



There'll be another crossover there between the mains.

The layout as it stands tonight:


Lemosteam

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6430
  • Gender: Male
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +4943
Re: The N scale Pennsy Juniata Division 2.0 - T-TRAK!
« Reply #458 on: Today at 06:12:27 AM »
0
Hi Dave, before you ballast that track in Huntingdon, you could add one of my pure PRR plan concrete bumpers at the end of the building spur.

John "Lemosteam" LeMerise