Author Topic: Trainworx 85' Flats and Trailers have hit the shelves...  (Read 3481 times)

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +416
Re: Trainworx 85' Flats and Trailers have hit the shelves...
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2017, 09:37:03 PM »
+1
Regarding the Seaboard trailers, if you look close, at least one trailer is patched for the Seaboard System with a number that starts with "SBD."  That means it is post-1982.  The prototype for SBD30466 did make it to 1986:

http://espee4ever.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2484802

DFF

You appear to be assuming that the SBD initials were not used on trailers prior to the Seaboard System formation, but that appears to be an incorrect assumption.   (Corroborating example.)  It appears that SCL used SBD for trailers. 

As far as the trailers with that scheme surviving 'til 86, well, at least one survived even longer.  But that doesn't tell us when they stopped being used in TOFC service.  FWIW, here is the latest era pic I have found of one on a train.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2017, 09:39:43 PM »
You appear to be assuming that the SBD initials were not used on trailers prior to the Seaboard System formation...

LOL!  SBD? As in "Silent But Deadly"?!
Sorry, couldn't resist.  :D
. . . 42 . . .

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2017, 10:15:15 PM »
  FWIW, here is the latest era pic I have found of one on a train.

Damn Ben, good eye!

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +416
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2017, 12:28:15 AM »
+1
LOL!  SBD? As in "Silent But Deadly"?!
Sorry, couldn't resist.  :D

Had to down vote you for that, man.

Damn Ben, good eye!

I'm no @James Costello, but intermodal history is kind of my thing.   :D

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +292
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2017, 07:28:51 AM »
I'm no @James Costello, but intermodal history is kind of my thing.   :D

You're too kind @jagged ben but I'm sure I've learned as much from you as you have from me! We seem to have focused on slightly different eras/areas too which helps....in addition to learning more about the shared interests.

Intermodal is fun... and much more interesting than people give it credit for  :D
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2017, 01:55:52 AM »
Mark:  Thank you!  As I said, there were no Kroger's in the Northwest, as far as I know, so none of their trailers either.

Given the comment in the NScale.net post, and the previous paragraph noting that some common-carrier trucking companies had new trailers delivered by rail, even when they didn't ship loads on TOFC:
"It has always been even less common to see non-common carrier equipment on the rails. The Kroger trailers in the new Trainworx group are an example of that.... Yet photos exist showing showing these trailers riding TOFC flats... Being delivered.... ( yes, I have seen them. They are in one of Morning Sun's intermodal books. )"

I wonder if he means "Being delivered....from the builder to Kroger" or "Being delivered....from a shipper to a warehouse"?
N Kalanaga
Be well

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +292
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2017, 02:23:08 AM »
IIRC the Kroger trailers (and other supermarkets) appeared semi-frequently on the DRGW between Denver and Salt Lake City, perhaps on the sprint trains like the Railblazer.
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2017, 01:39:19 AM »
I doubt that they were buying new ones "semi-frequently", so it looks like they did ship by rail.  Interesting.
N Kalanaga
Be well

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2017, 06:26:40 AM »
http://www.buynscale.com/trainworx-flatbed-trailer-40.htm

BLW has found more.of these somewhere. Most roads where in stock when I ordered the modern silver and black versions.
Peter Pfotenhauer

milw156

• Crew
  • Respect: +215
    • Modutrak
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2017, 01:18:58 PM »
+1
Thanks for the tip Tim!  Great to see the next run of 53 footers.  Lots of Alliance, Clipper, Roadway and Yellow for me.  I understand there are a lot more schemes in the queue, so I need to pace myself - and beat the bushes for more

Gary,  I was at Hiawatha hobbies Saturday and they had several 5 and 3 car sets still available, (even after I got one) with $2.95 shipping too!
http://www.hiawathahobbies.com/BLMA_c_1715-1-2.html
Rick
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 05:10:21 PM by GaryHinshaw »

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2017, 01:55:01 PM »
You appear to be assuming that the SBD initials were not used on trailers prior to the Seaboard System formation, but that appears to be an incorrect assumption.   (Corroborating example.)  It appears that SCL used SBD for trailers. 

As far as the trailers with that scheme surviving 'til 86, well, at least one survived even longer.  But that doesn't tell us when they stopped being used in TOFC service.  FWIW, here is the latest era pic I have found of one on a train.

SBD is one of the initials listed for Seaboard trailers, containers and chassis in the 1966 ORER.  The two trailers you linked to are listed as having 4 vents front and 4 vent rear, both with a side door as seen in the one image.

Jason

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2017, 05:11:11 PM »
Gary,  I was at Hiawatha hobbies Saturday and they had several 5 and 3 car sets still available, (even after I got one) with $2.95 shipping too!
http://www.hiawathahobbies.com/BLMA_c_1715-1-2.html
Rick

Uh oh, now I have to put my money where my mouth is.  Thanks for the heads up!