Author Topic: Repair for delrin plastic parts  (Read 2264 times)

nsbob

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
Repair for delrin plastic parts
« on: January 08, 2017, 02:22:33 PM »
I have a Micro-Trains modern tank car that was given to me.  The delrin plastic top platform handrail assembly was broken in a couple of places. I knew that super glue would not work.   I decided to try the product called "Five Second Fix" to see if it would work.  I purchased a tube of it at a local pharmacy and followed the directions.  I placed the glue on the broken parts, placed them together, and used the ultraviolet light to cure the glue.   So far so good.  I've handled it several times without any problems for the last couple of months.   I thought I would share this with all of you especially since the new Intermountain SD40-2s have thin delrin handrails that have been fragile in the past.

eja

• Crew
  • Respect: +198
Re: Repair for delrin plastic parts
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 04:17:57 PM »
What did you use for your UV light source ?

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 04:24:25 PM »
The kit comes with a UV "thumb light" LED flashlight. Similar high-powered UV LEDs have been used with dental resins for several years.

Can't vouch for the specific product Bob is using, but it is a case of mature industrial tech making the jump to the consumer space.

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1527
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 04:54:55 PM »
I've got something similar and honestly I get better results with either CA or old fashioned epoxy no matter which plastic I try it on.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 05:53:48 PM »
No experience with this glue, but there is a very strong UV light... outside.  ;)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 06:10:31 PM »
This is just another version of UV-curable resin which shows up in those As-seen-on-TV commercials.
 As their website https://www.5secondfix.com/ states "Not a Glue! Super Powered Liquid Plastic Welding Compound".  We'll have to see how well the Delrin bond holds in the long run.

Another one is BONDIC ( http://notaglue.com/ ) and as the website name spells it is not a glue, but it works somewhat like glue (check the FAQ section).  I just got a tube in the summer (at a Target store) and I have used few time. I can see that it will be useful in my hobbies (if not for anything else, for gluing clear model parts and for making headlight lenses or maybe even car windows).

Nsbob, how does the glue joint look? Is it a blob of glue around the handrail, or is it barely visible?  Can you take a closeup photo and post it here?
. . . 42 . . .

nsbob

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 10:11:48 PM »
You have to be careful when you apply the resin or you will get too much on the parts and create a blob.  I would recommend not applying the resin from the provided dispenser but use the point of  a straight pen or toothpick.  The repaired joint will have a high gloss to it so you might be able to tone the shine down with a tiny amount of satin paint.  I haven't tried it on any large exposed areas yet to see how it would look.

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 10:17:41 PM »
I have a friend in Ohio that uses 5 Second Fix on his Shapeways FUD models if they break.It works very nicely.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

dmidkiff

• Crew
  • Respect: +125
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 11:11:37 AM »
Has anyone tried the MicroPrep and MicroBond products from MicroScale?  They claim to bond to delrin, I haven't found much information on the web from folks that have used the products.

Doug

coosvalley

• Crew
  • Respect: +639
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 02:08:23 PM »
Has anyone tried the MicroPrep and MicroBond products from MicroScale?  They claim to bond to delrin, I haven't found much information on the web from folks that have used the products.

Doug

I'd be curious to know the answer to this as well.

bman

• Crew
  • I gotta have more Conrail!
  • Respect: +160
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 08:38:30 PM »

Doug

Yes.  I've used it for painting/repairing handrails and so it has worked well.  One word of advice.  When not using it, store it with the pump spray removed and the plastic cap and insert used to close the bottle.  It evaporates quickly.  I feel it is a bit pricey but I am happy with the results. 

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 09:52:47 PM »
No matter what adhesive is used on such small and high-stress area (like a butt joint on a handrail or stanchion to walkway joint), no adhesive will have strength which is even remotely as good as the unbroken part.

As i see it, the joints mentioned here (either the UV-cure resin or CA glue) don't actually bond the materials - they simply build-up around the joined area resulting in a physical support around the parts being bonded rather than actually bonding the parts themselves.
. . . 42 . . .