Author Topic: MT just posted this on Facebook regarding MT1500  (Read 16558 times)

Ken Ford

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
Re: MT just posted this on Facebook regarding MT1500
« Reply #135 on: January 15, 2017, 12:21:56 PM »
Thanks for the TE reports!

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #136 on: January 15, 2017, 08:51:14 PM »
I used side frames from Miniatures by Eric, DA headlights and the angled airbox MP shell for my faux SP SW1500, until the MT release. 

Russ I believe the TE70-4S'were stored on a siding in Sam Leandro? before they were dismantled.  They were visible from the air on final to Oakland International then 27R.

"in storage in Oakland, CA in July 1992"

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +413
« Reply #137 on: January 15, 2017, 09:12:49 PM »
As thread drift goes, this is pretty good thread drift.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
« Reply #138 on: January 15, 2017, 09:48:23 PM »
As thread drift goes, this is pretty good thread drift.

Agreed! :D

Spades

• Crew
  • Respect: +152
« Reply #139 on: January 16, 2017, 04:40:33 PM »
Thread drift a strand too far.  http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,186423

The highlights:

"The Morris-Knudson TE 70-4S Locomotive was initially designed as a innovative breakthrough in the railroad industry by installing a low maintenance Swiss made Sulzer 12ASV 25/30 diesel engine in a standard American locomotive car body. Four demonstrator models were manufactured and tested extensively on the Southern Pacific Railroad. Although the tests proved to be successful, American railroads determined that the retooling of their facilities and the retraining of their staff was not worth the effort. The four demonstrator units currently available were stored serviceable and then resold into private ownership. "

and their final resting place in Oakland CA

"These 4 "Popsicles" TE-70's are parked 2 BLOCKS FROM MY WORK - where I am typing this right NOW! They are parked in the GE Capital property between 54th Ave, International Blvd, 57th Ave, and San Leandro Blvd (the old WP main/BART). I knew they were close when my work relocated to this far away dump but on BART 2 weeks ago I finally spotted them wedged in tight space a stones throw away. They are sitting east-west on the north side of the GE property between stored bungalows that GE Capitol leases out for offices, schoolrooms, etc.

They are basically stuck on an old industry siding that has been cut off from the WP Oakland Sub track rusting away after their previous owner passed away before he could turn their engines into tug boat power! Yes, the red and orange is fading as shown in the pics but they are still together and last inside word said 2 of them were fully operational a few years ago. I was going to try to ask GE for permission to go over next door and take some pics but the ones on that loco sale website ain't bad. Otherwise, w/o GE's permission there is no way to view them except from far away on BART. Never saw the Popsicles run but wouldn't mind donating some money to see one do so in the future!

-Ryan aka "espeeboy""

G

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +413
« Reply #140 on: January 16, 2017, 05:54:45 PM »
Thread drift a strand too far.  http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,186423

The highlights:

"The Morris-Knudson TE 70-4S Locomotive was initially designed as a innovative breakthrough in the railroad industry by installing a low maintenance Swiss made Sulzer 12ASV 25/30 diesel engine in a standard American locomotive car body. Four demonstrator models were manufactured and tested extensively on the Southern Pacific Railroad. Although the tests proved to be successful, American railroads determined that the retooling of their facilities and the retraining of their staff was not worth the effort. The four demonstrator units currently available were stored serviceable and then resold into private ownership. "

For an interesting counterpoint to the "tests proved to be successful" assertion from someone trying to sell them ... see here.

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #141 on: January 16, 2017, 06:31:10 PM »
For an interesting counterpoint to the "tests proved to be successful" assertion from someone trying to sell them ... see here.

Correction:

"Tests (of the Popsicle paint) proved to be successful (against the red and gray paint applied to SP 7319)"