Author Topic: ALCO S1/3 kitbash.... ideas?  (Read 1122 times)

pedro

• Crew
  • Respect: +329
ALCO S1/3 kitbash.... ideas?
« on: December 18, 2016, 05:55:57 AM »
Has anyone contemplated a kitbash and/or shapeways solution to faking an ALCO S1/3 using Atlas S2 or Bachmann S4 mechanisms? The difference in wheelbase and overall lengths are "close enough" that I'm not sure it would bother me that much. (6" wheelbase, 1' overall length difference). Is that within an acceptable range for other folks here? Or is it too much, along the lines of the wheelbase issues that plagued early GP7/9 efforts of Atlas/Kato releases?

Or, have there been any hints from Atlas that I should just be patient? I need both S1s and 3s to complete my roster! My railroad didn't own any 2s or 4s, unfortunately.

Thanks for any ideas or guidance/insights if this has been covered before. Would really love an out of the box solution from Atlas with sound, but in the meantime, I've got a lot of down time coming up to contemplate a 'bash....

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
Re: ALCO S1/3 kitbash.... ideas?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 03:10:43 PM »
I don't have the S3, but the BN's diesel diagrams claim that the S2 and S4 both had an overall length of 45 ' 6", while the S1 was 45' 5 3/4".  I would think that there would be at least 1/4" difference between locos in an order, but that's what they listed. 

They don't give the wheelbase, but it seems odd if they were the same length, but had different truck spacing.  I would think that Alco would use the same frame to save money.  On the other hand, the Diesel Spotters Guide says that both the Blunt and AAR Switcher trucks had a 96" wheelbase, so any difference couldn't be the truck wheelbase.

I'd say kitbash one, and if it looks like right to you, run with it.  If anyone turns up with a ruler and complains, tell them to build you a better one!
N Kalanaga
Be well

pedro

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 10:33:04 PM »
I was just using Wikipedia numbers for length and wheelbase. Just starting down this path, trying not to reinvent the wheel if someone else out there has already done any investigations into getting a semi-accurate S1/3 via a kitbash.

Much work to do in research, I have other projects to start working on while I think through options. RS-1 shell parts? RS-3 parts? I'm thinking old school cut n paste shell bashes here.

pedro

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 10:41:46 PM »
For reference, I guess it's wise to state my modeling goal of a complete accurate roster for the Ann Arbor Railroad in summer, 1965.

The GP35 fleet is assembled, as are the Wabash-paint RS-1s. The only thing I'm missing is the S1 and S3 fleet in black as-delivered scheme. And those Wabash cabooses, but that'll be another topic.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 12:41:44 AM »
The RS-1 was built at the same time, but like the S2/4, it's turbocharged, and has the large shutters.  Finding the S1/3 stack is probably the problem.  You might have to make that yourself.

Hopefully someone has made one, and can be more helpful than I can.
N Kalanaga
Be well

pedro

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 01:12:56 AM »
It's all good. I've got a lot of time on my hands recovering from surgery to do research, and play with parts from Atlas....