Author Topic: Weekend Update 12/4/16  (Read 10693 times)

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +416
Re: Weekend Update 12/4/16
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2016, 12:31:31 AM »
I essentially finished my SP "Phase I" GP60 kitbash I started 9 years ago :facepalm: using the LL GP60. Hoping it will hold up OK next to the new FVM units....

Your beacon looks better.  So do your Sinclairs.  So do your cut levers and MU hoses.  The FVM won't look as good as yours in a lot of respects until the included detail parts are added.     I think you may have used the wrong style air conditioner, but that's a ticky tack criticism.  The LL shell has some fitting issues that the FVM doesn't.     Otherwise, some details don't look the same but are sort of just different, not better or worse. 

In other words... Good job!   :D
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 12:33:19 AM by jagged ben »

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2016, 01:50:47 AM »
Thanks for the kudos, Ben! Much appreciated! :D

Regarding the AC....I think I got it right, as per the photo seen in this link (which served as inspiration for the overhead shot)....

http://espee.railfan.net/picindex/gp60_walkaround/thcsp9601t.html

But, perhaps not as I see now there's a slight difference.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 01:53:52 AM by tehachapifan »

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
    • ShastaRails.com
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2016, 02:47:45 AM »
Great job on the GP60 Russ.
Here are some photos I took 20+ years ago, including an overhead shot
http://ncespee.railfan.net/sswgp60/ssw9630.html

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8552
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2016, 11:05:23 AM »
+7
Yesterday's work on the Colorado Midland:

Added some narrow gauge mine trackage and a mine cart to the smelter for dumping waste rock into the canyon below.

A simple grade crossing for the old wagon road.

More work in the area of the Aspen tail track...

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2016, 11:13:23 AM »
+1
Yesterday was the last show of 2016 for us.I snapped a few pics of my Z layout whilesetting on my chair waiting for the next bunch of show goers.  :D

Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2016, 12:01:15 PM »
+3
Work continues to spruce up the little switching layout as well as the photo module this week, in anticipation of photographing the M3T when it rolls in this weekend.

Big progress in the industrial end of town, with major land forms being set and the road system nearing completion.

More details being added nightly.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +292
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2016, 01:59:54 PM »
This bridge takes track 2 of the former Southern Pacific mainline (headed from Roseville over the Sierra's to Reno/Sparks NV.) over what was originally Auburn Ravine. In the 1950's-60's the 80 highway was built under the SP crossing in Auburn CA. Originally, the highway had a support post in the center going up to the bridge. When they added another lane to the freeway, there wasn't going to be room for the post, so the SP replaced it with a deck truss bridge that they were removing from service. They were able to keep the track open most of the time as they installed the new bridge around the post. Once the bridge was completed, they took out the support post and the freeway was widened to its current width. The track is just uphill from famous Bloomer Cut and located next to 'Old Auburn'. Auburn Ravine is one of the many places that the 49'ers found gold during the CA. gold rush.
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members

crrcoal

• Crew
  • Respect: +73

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +416
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2016, 06:59:12 PM »
Thanks for the kudos, Ben! Much appreciated! :D

Regarding the AC....I think I got it right, as per the photo seen in this link (which served as inspiration for the overhead shot)....

http://espee.railfan.net/picindex/gp60_walkaround/thcsp9601t.html

But, perhaps not as I see now there's a slight difference.

I stand corrected.  You got the AC right and FVM got it wrong.  (Upon further review, it appears that theirs is not aseparate part and they may have just done one style, which is appropriate for ATSF.)

More kudos to you. 

cbroughton67

• Crew
  • Respect: +1699
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2016, 09:56:47 PM »
+17
I went completely off the reservation and decided, on a small scale, to tinker with Z-scale. I became enamored with Z after the last GTE show here in Louisville earlier this year. The layout is 32"x72" and has folding legs for easy storage under my N-scale PRR layout. The theme is MRL in modern-day Montana. The layout is a simple oval with one siding, one spur, and four staging tracks behind the backdrop. So, it's basically a "railfan" layout that is setup for running a variety of traffic through the modeled portion of the layout. The last few trees were added over the weekend. Next step is to weather the rolling stock and locomotives.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 10:04:42 PM by cbroughton67 »
Chris Broughton
MMR #650

Darwin was an optimist.

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2016, 10:50:14 PM »
I stand corrected.  You got the AC right and FVM got it wrong.  (Upon further review, it appears that theirs is not aseparate part and they may have just done one style, which is appropriate for ATSF.)

More kudos to you.

Thanks, Ben. :D I think I've seen more than one type of AC on the SP and SSW GP60's, so both may actually be correct depending on the unit modeled and the timeframe represented.

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1636
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2016, 11:01:06 PM »
I went completely off the reservation and decided, on a small scale, to tinker with Z-scale. I became enamored with Z after the last GTE show here in Louisville earlier this year. The layout is 32"x72" and has folding legs for easy storage under my N-scale PRR layout. The theme is MRL in modern-day Montana. The layout is a simple oval with one siding, one spur, and four staging tracks behind the backdrop. So, it's basically a "railfan" layout that is setup for running a variety of traffic through the modeled portion of the layout. The last few trees were added over the weekend. Next step is to weather the rolling stock and locomotives.

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

That's pretty awesome.
(Attachment Link)

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2016, 01:04:12 AM »
I don't recognize the location, but it looks a lot like parts of Montana we've been through.  Montana isn't all rugged peaks or prairies, as some vacation guides make it seem.
N Kalanaga
Be well

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2016, 10:20:39 AM »
+1

Golden fields of grain up the ying yang ... love it , whatcha use ? And that sky is awesome .

Richie Dost