Author Topic: Bachmann GG1 with sound  (Read 8416 times)

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +607
    • The Modern PRR
Re: Bachmann GG1 with sound
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2016, 06:52:56 PM »
+1
Given that the PRR didn't even light headlamps during daylight, I doubt it they were much for lighting extra lights.
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2016, 07:13:50 PM »
Surely there is a CV allowing for proper lighting...?
Otto

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1766
    • My website
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2016, 02:34:28 PM »
Here is a simple analog question.

Spookshow says the analog version.....

you cut off the plug in order to wire it for DCC.

But he does not have a top down shot and it is kind of hard to see what he's talking about from the side.

Anyone have a top down shot of the analog board?

Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2016, 04:38:41 PM »
Here is a simple analog question.

Spookshow says the analog version.....

you cut off the plug in order to wire it for DCC.

But he does not have a top down shot and it is kind of hard to see what he's talking about from the side.

Anyone have a top down shot of the analog board?

I love Mark's review and his diligence to get all the (new and old) models covered but he doesn't get deep into the details or close-up photos.  Maybe I should get one of these just to do one of those "Peteski Technical Reviews" on it.   :D  I should probably try collaborate with Mark and have him send me those models after his review to do my deep-dive review.  But I could never keep up with him and my reviews would be delayed for months or even years.  :facepalm:

I'm also curious about this and why didn't Bachmann just include the standard 6-pin decoder interface with a dummy DC plug installed.  This seems to be the norm nowadays.
. . . 42 . . .

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2016, 05:14:51 PM »
+1

I'm also curious about this and why didn't Bachmann just include the standard 6-pin decoder interface with a dummy DC plug installed.  This seems to be the norm nowadays.

Because you should just be perfectly happy with the Bachmann DCC so no need.  :trollface:

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1766
    • My website
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2016, 06:36:25 PM »
I love Mark's review and his diligence to get all the (new and old) models covered but he doesn't get deep into the details or close-up photos.  Maybe I should get one of these just to do one of those "Peteski Technical Reviews" on it.   :D  I should probably try collaborate with Mark and have him send me those models after his review to do my deep-dive review.  But I could never keep up with him and my reviews would be delayed for months or even years.  :facepalm:

I have no doubt that Mark would LOVE for you to buy the locos from him when he is done!
 :trollface: :trollface: :trollface:
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2016, 05:42:17 PM »

He is selling one, guessing the one he reviewed.  Posted over on NSN, TUSCAN RED 5-STRIPE #4913 w/ DCC SOUND  Test-run only and in perfect/like-new condition. Originally cost $212 (shipped), asking $170.  Now is your time !

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2016, 09:56:40 PM »
He is selling one, guessing the one he reviewed.  Posted over on NSN, TUSCAN RED 5-STRIPE #4913 w/ DCC SOUND  Test-run only and in perfect/like-new condition. Originally cost $212 (shipped), asking $170.  Now is your time !

Hmm...maybe I'll email Mark (like I really need another project).  :facepalm: Thanks!
. . . 42 . . .

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2016, 04:18:28 AM »
I saw these at a train show this weekend and they are just beautiful. The painting is on the same level as the N&W J and the stripes were really intricate. Would love a side to side photo comparison between this, the Kato and Arnold ones.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2016, 08:22:17 AM »
I'm actually more interested in the pantographs, which will be available sometime within the next six months, for retrofitting to the Kato models and for scratchbuilding purposes.  I'll take a look at the model next month in Springfield, but I don't have a need to acquire one.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2016, 01:41:44 PM »
+3
I'm actually more interested in the pantographs, which will be available sometime within the next six months, for retrofitting to the Kato models and for scratchbuilding purposes.  I'll take a look at the model next month in Springfield, but I don't have a need to acquire one.

I broke down and bought Spookshow's review unit.  I should have it by the end of next week. More info is forthcoming.  :)

But I'm not sure I'll even bother comparing it with the old Arnold unit . . .
. . . 42 . . .

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2016, 01:47:12 AM »
Peteski:  I wouldn't.  I have one of the Arnold units, somewhere, and it's much like their Fa-whatever.  Clunky, but almost indestructible, sounds like the proverbial coffee grinder, smells of ozone, and doesn't like anything less than code 80 track.  Also like the FA, the one time I tried it, it ran on ME code 55 - bouncing along the ties, but it ran.

The pantographs do work, and it has a selector switch for overhead pickup, but the pans are small European style, not really suited for an American locomotive.

In short, it's a "toy train" engine, basically N gauge tinplate, with all of the good and bad points that implies.
N Kalanaga
Be well

YouraverageSPF

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2016, 01:36:02 PM »

Honestly, comparing the Bachmann GG1 to the Arnold GG1 is like comparing a chocolate chip cookie to a slice of stale bread. There is no comparison (Aside from the pantographs, but I digress).

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2016, 03:07:48 PM »
The initial posts I made when I joined the now-defunct A-board was a comparison of then-new Kato GG1 to the only other plastic model of GG1 then available (Arnold), specifically addressing the pantographs. While the photos are gone the thread is still in the archive: http://forum.atlasrr.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=48928  That topic was fun to revisit - and see the typical forum debate about which model brand is better and whether Kato makes excellent or just average models.  :)

The Arnold model (especially considering its age) still stands on its own merits, but of course the Kato model is vastly superior.  I suppose I could resurrect the photos and re-post that info here.
. . . 42 . . .

YouraverageSPF

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2016, 06:09:53 PM »
The initial posts I made when I joined the now-defunct A-board was a comparison of then-new Kato GG1 to the only other plastic model of GG1 then available (Arnold), specifically addressing the pantographs. While the photos are gone the thread is still in the archive: http://forum.atlasrr.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=48928  That topic was fun to revisit - and see the typical forum debate about which model brand is better and whether Kato makes excellent or just average models.  :)

The Arnold model (especially considering its age) still stands on its own merits, but of course the Kato model is vastly superior.  I suppose I could resurrect the photos and re-post that info here.

Ah, I see. It's always cool to see how far N scale trains have come over time if that's what you mean.