Author Topic: Paragon 2 sound decoder "sleep mode" and other idiosyncrasies (NOW ESU 3.5)  (Read 1635 times)

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
I have a number of Paragon 2-equipped diesels and generally like them. Motor control is very good and the sound depth and variety is quite good as well. (I think the sound would be awesome with a better speaker/enclosure combo, but I've been unable to find an appropriate 50 Ohm replacement speaker. That's another conversation).

My question: All my other decoders (Tsunamis, ESU's and Paragons) are set to remain quiet when power is first turned on, and sound and lights only come on when a signal is sent to the locomotive address. A don't want a clucking cacophony of sounds coming on all at once. However, my BLI E7 AB set always comes on upon power up, and sometimes immediately goes into the shut down sequence and shuts itself off after a few seconds, and other times just stays on until turned off manually. (Shutting it down by F8 prior to turning off power seems to make no difference).
Anyone else experiencing this issue?
Thanks, Otto K.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 10:52:40 AM by Cajonpassfan »

bobthebear

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
Re: Paragon 2 sound decoder "sleep mode" and other idiosyncrasies
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 04:20:44 PM »
All my BLI locos behave themselves, but one Bachmann DDA40X does what you describe, but the others don't. Odd.
Cheers, Bob.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 05:17:30 PM »
Maybe it is a different firmware running in the decoder's microcontroller?  One version kept the sound muted on power up while the other does not?
. . . 42 . . .

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +830
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 11:02:16 PM »
My Loksound decoders have a default setting to stay quiet until F8 is pressed, but the manual says this can be changed via CV adjustment to behave like yours. Perhaps there is a CV setting to switch yours the other way.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 11:24:32 PM »
Yes well, there is, kind of. Setting CV 113 to a low value is supposed to cut the volume way down, and setting it to zero should presumably quiet it. Except it doesn't, and now one of my units' sound cuts off in step 4, except in reverse :facepalm: I'd hate to have to do another reset because I have them running beautifully and sounding great...
Oh the joys of DCC programming...
Otto K.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 11:50:38 PM »
Oops, never mind. CV 113 works on Tsunamis, but in Paragon speak it's has to do with motor control. Looks like I screwed up  :facepalm:

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 02:13:48 AM »
Well, it seems I did screw up  :facepalm:
It turns out that the decoders in my ten-year old E7's are not Paragon 2 but P1, which is actually an ESU v3.5 according to internet info. When I was finally able to read CV 8, it came out as#35: Elektronik und Modell Produktion. An early version of ESU? Who knew, since the engines came with a "Paragon" booklet. No wonder I ran into "idiosyncrasies" .... I was using the wrong CV's ...

So the question of the day is this: what are the default factory settings for an ESU 3.5, particularly CV 113? I found an ESU 3.5 technical reference online, but my iPad keeps crashing before I get to the pages I need :? Frustrating...
Thanks, Otto K.