Author Topic: Mobile version?  (Read 3204 times)

Chris333

• Crew
Re: Mobile version?
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2016, 09:19:43 PM »
While not a "mobile site" I dislike the facebook app for the same reason, I can't zoom in on anything. You are stuck with what they give you at a mobile site.

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2016, 10:40:35 PM »
I can't stand mobile sites.

I'll add my voice to the chorus. I rarely browse on the phone, but when I do (like when waiting for our order at a restaurant), a mobile site forces using reading glasses, where a zoomable (regular) site can be read without them. A real PITA. At least some mobile sites give you an option for the full version... but I don't know that until I already have my glasses on.  :x

What frosts me are the mobile sites that nag you to download their app. Hell will freeze first.

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2016, 10:59:33 PM »
The longer I've had my phone the less apps it has on it. I do have a few games, but they have all internet blocked from them. A firewall on my phone tells me that my phone is trying to access the internet about 8000 times a day. Mostly Google Play Store, Google Play Services, Android System, and Angry Birds 2. LostNet NoRoot Firewall.

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2016, 01:03:52 AM »
At that size it is no longer a telephone!   :P You look really silly holding it up to your ear.   It's a phablet - a portable computing device with audio communication capability!  ;)

Wait?? Who talks on their phone??   ;) ;)

I jest of course but seriously the telephone function is probably less then 10% of the usage I get from my phone.

Between the web browser the mp3 player, 4k display and the 23mp Sony point and shoot camera built into it I can stand it looking a little big in my hands.  :D

It still fits between my ear and mouth, maybe I have a big head tho lol  :D
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2016, 10:13:00 AM »
While not a "mobile site" I dislike the facebook app for the same reason, I can't zoom in on anything. You are stuck with what they give you at a mobile site.

Usually the apps are better.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2016, 10:45:12 AM »
Usually the apps are better.

As long as you're OK with them rifling through your contacts list and image library, and tracking your real-time location. I'm not. Even with these features supposedly turned off in device settings, there are workarounds, especially on Android. As Chris has observed, there is a whole bunch of connection to the mothership he doesn't initiate, and it shouldn't be necessary to download defense apps... but it is.

The only 3rd-party apps on my iPhone are WiThrottle and a sound meter, and I have shields-up on those and everything else. No, I'm not a Luddite or a paranoid, I just know what's in the sausage.

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2016, 02:21:21 PM »
I don't even care much about all the apps using my data, but since I've blocked them I notice my battery lasts longer and my phone doesn't get as hot while using.

I do use the Facebook app, but it would be better if I could pinch and zoom in on it. Right now I have to click on something, let it open and then I can zoom. Just an extra step.

And the notification situation is crazy. If I make a post I'd want to know if someone responds, but I don't give a crap if someone "likes" my post. I post a photo and then spend the next 3 days clearing out like notifications.

Scottl

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2016, 06:11:27 PM »

The only 3rd-party apps on my iPhone are WiThrottle and a sound meter, and I have shields-up on those and everything else. No, I'm not a Luddite or a paranoid, I just know what's in the sausage.

I understand the thinking behind this, but why even have a smart phone, especially an iPhone?  Unless you use the browser, or any of the Apple software, in which case your resistance is futile  :trollface:

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2016, 06:32:17 PM »
Have to agree with Scott Apple and Android's native apps are already tracking us pretty good  :P I suppose you could limit it by avoiding third party apps but you are not going to be able to eliminate it unless you turn your data off when you aren't using it.

Personally I don't really care if google knows when I go to Canadian Tire, or what I'm looking for, perhaps I'm naive and perhaps working in market research has changed my attitude, but at the end of the day it doesn't effect me in a negative way.

That being said I avoid Facebook and other big 3rd party apps because I find them annoying lol...  :D
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2016, 06:53:10 PM »
I understand the thinking behind this, but why even have a smart phone, especially an iPhone?  Unless you use the browser, or any of the Apple software, in which case your resistance is futile  :trollface:

[rant]

Oh, I agree. It's beyond frustrating. Apple keeps getting more and more invasive, and Google's right there with 'em. But in terms of the personal intrusions, I trust Apple just enough (vs. 3rd parties) to have some assurance that when I turn off an invasive element in the preferences, it does as expected. Google? I don't trust them at all. "Do no evil" my @$$. I washed my hands of nearly everything Google when they bought Nest and it suddenly descended into personally-intrusive technology Hell.

I have some cheap Android devices for Engine Driver, but that's as far they go.

Apple is quickly losing my trust, however, in trying to shove iOS 10 down my throat. I keep telling them "NO!" and deleting the 1GB worth of updater surreptitiously downloaded if I happen to leave it recharging overnight near a "home" WiFi, only to find that they have hijacked the phone again and re-downloaded it two or three days later. I ought to fill up the phone with videos or something and leave too little room for the updater. That'll fix their little red wagon. Or crash my phone. :scared: If they were making changes that were useful, such as features to help filter the spam phone calls, I'd be all over it, but everything I see in iOS 10 makes the device less useful to me and the umbilical to the Apple mothership that much harder to sever.

If it wasn't for text messaging - which seems to be the only way to reach certain people in my life these days - I would be absolutely fine with an old flip-phone if it wasn't for the geeky form-factor.

[/rant]

:sigh:

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2016, 06:54:32 PM »
At that size it is no longer a telephone!   :P You look really silly holding it up to your ear.   It's a phablet - a portable computing device with audio communication capability!  ;)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2016, 09:21:43 PM »

Oh yeah - that is so '70s!
If that is a girl then she looks like Geddy Lee's sister.
. . . 42 . . .

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2016, 12:15:15 PM »
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2016, 02:13:56 PM »
Oh good!  Phew!  With the shoulder-bag, long hair, and what looked to be A-cup breasts, I wasn't sure.

BTW, I've read on the Interwebs that the boom-boxes are getting popular again (but nowadays are Bluetooth ready).  :)
. . . 42 . . .

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2016, 02:18:32 PM »
You missed the Adam's Apple.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA