Author Topic: Intermountain SD40-2  (Read 85303 times)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Intermountain SD40-2
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2016, 09:06:44 AM »
+1
I had always thought Conrail was supposed to be in the first batch.

But, I'm actually kinda glad it's not. It gives me time to figure out if the others look good enough to make the investment.

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2016, 05:51:37 PM »
IM posted on Facebook that first batch is shipping this month, perhaps some in stock by end of December.  Funny bc BLW is saying they were told they wouldn't make container this month and would arrive in January.  So who knows but sounds like they will finally hit the pipeline.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2016, 06:14:16 PM »
I am a little surprised at the price for a straight DC model.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2016, 07:07:18 PM »
I'm still not sure why they think the Family Lines early scheme will outsell the white KCS of the same era . . . .
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

wes_sutton

• Crew
  • Respect: +450
    • http://www.users.bigpond.com/grms
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2016, 09:10:49 PM »
I am a little surprised at the price for a straight DC model.
Why?

I'd say it's about inline with inflation when compared to what the SD40-2Ts originally came out at, if not a little less.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2016, 09:15:57 PM »
I'm still not sure why they think the Family Lines early scheme will outsell the white KCS of the same era . . . .

I tend to agree with you, @Philip H.  I'm holding out for the Seaboard System SD40-2s, which will allow me to see how well these things turn out before I drop some moolah on them.  However, if the paint color used for the SBD gray is anything like that on the SD45-2s, I'll have to pass and come back to the Family Lines scheme.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

mu26aeh

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2016, 09:22:55 PM »
I have a CSX unit on order at LHS and if this is like past, they seems to be early on list to receive orders.  I will be sure to have layout ready for testing and review.

As for price, given this is new tooling etc, I would expect it.

drgw0579

• Crew
  • Respect: +51
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2016, 01:57:57 PM »
my railroad hosted the Intermountain SD40-2s last Friday, video is here:
/>
We started out with two units, one sound, the other plain DCC (PAR unit).  I got so carried away with the ESU full throttle feature, we set out the PAR unit, because it doesn't support Drive Hold.  The rubbing noise on the second scene was one of the covered hoppers that had 36" wheels on it rubbing on the frame.  We set it out and you don't hear it again.

Bill Kepner
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 02:11:25 PM by drgw0579 »

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2016, 02:04:27 PM »
Alrighty then . . . . ..sounds good, appears to run well . . . but where's the rear handrail set for the NS unit?   :facepalm:
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

drgw0579

• Crew
  • Respect: +51
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2016, 02:09:30 PM »
this was one of the units that was displayed at the OKC trainshow the previous weekend and the rear handrail had not made the trip back.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2016, 02:26:30 PM »
Thanks for the preview, Bill! Great layout! And I see that IM has featured your video on their site. Congrats, and good work!

Not to rag... however... several things hit me. First, the 645 generates a lot more bass than that, even at idle. By far the dominant sound in the video was the turbo winding up and down. About 30 seconds of that and I would shut it off. Second, headlights? If it was an operation oversight in the excitement I can (more than!) understand. Also, ditch lights dates the model well after 1990, 1970s and '80s modelers need not apply. (Apologies, that's a pet peeve - added details that require carving, repainting, etc., to back-date to something that wasn't there in the first place. Adding? Easy. Subtracting? That's tough.)

And then there are what appear to be slab wheels. Or very thick rims. On a new, premium model? I believe there was discussion about this when IM was showing the pre-production models, with the possibility that it was to be addressed. The wheel fidelity is great in the HO versions, why not N?

Again, thanks for the preview. I know others are impatiently waiting, but I'll pass on this one. Besides, my 2017 loco money is already committed to the Scale Trains turbine, and I'm stressing trying to figure out how to sneak two of 'em past the wife in a few weeks. :facepalm:

sundowner

• Crew
  • Respect: +103
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2016, 03:30:46 PM »
Sound like a turbine. Happily there is a non sound option.
Which ever side of the track I am on is the right side.

mu26aeh

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2016, 04:00:33 PM »
On IM's website, if you click on the different roadnames, it will say whether or not the unit will be equipped with working ditch lights or not.

Some of the shots showed the headlights on, others it seemed they were turned off, yet none showing the ditch lights.  I have a CSX sound version on order at LHS, I will have to see if they ordered extras of the non-sound version.  I don't have any sound locomotives as of now, not sure if I will get more or not, but will definitely get at least one more non-sound. 

And then if I dive into get more Chessie .....  :trollface: :trollface: :trollface:

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +1935
    • Skally Line Blog
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2016, 05:19:47 PM »
The sound was good to my ear, but I second C855B on the wheels. They look as oversized as the SD40-2Ts. I'm sure with a little paint on the wheels and weathering that the appearance could be minimized.
Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2016, 06:01:01 PM »
You might be able to replace them with Kato wheelsets.  That trick worked on my BLI E7.  I intend to do my IM SD45-2 next.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!