Author Topic: Andrew Lapp's N Scale New York Central System HCD Layout Build  (Read 13564 times)

andyl913

• Crew
  • Respect: +69
Re: Andrew Lapp's N Scale New York Central System HCD Layout Build
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2016, 01:17:40 PM »
Do you have a photo of the effect you're going after with it?

I'm not following any specific picture, but I searched online for a similar effect I'm going after.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

andyl913

• Crew
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2016, 01:19:50 PM »
The roundhouse is now installed on the layout. I painted the interior dark grey and installed wiring for the tracks once I install them. I took the doors back off for now until I install the track. I also added trim around the corners to cover the gap that was there.

Next step is to install the tracks!

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8034
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2016, 01:47:55 PM »
Ahh, interesting. That's a much different image than I had in my head for the brick.

There are some areas where it's still a bit "pink". Have you thought about drybrushing some more brown on it.

Brick is surprisingly tough, and I'm trying to get my own head around it.

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3155
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2016, 02:05:42 PM »
Ahh, interesting. That's a much different image than I had in my head for the brick.

There are some areas where it's still a bit "pink". Have you thought about drybrushing some more brown on it.

That looks like it needs some orange.

andyl913

• Crew
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2016, 02:16:42 PM »
+1

It's because the red was a bright red... remember I said this in my post yesterday:
...Once I'm all done with the walls, I will add a wash and weather the brick and doors with chalk to give it a dirty look.

I wanted to assemble the roof first, then when everything is assembled, I will paint a brown wash over the whole thing and also use some weathering chalk to give it a more abrasive look, plus I want to add the locomotive soot above each stall.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2016, 02:42:31 PM »
Cool cool. I did miss that.

It just looked a little odd, and out of place with your otherwise stunning work.

I definitely don't mean to attack, and forget that when you're new here, you might not realize that most of the criticism you'll receive here is constructive (even if the medium itself may not do a great job of allowing us to communicate it).

I don't know if you ever saw how much ribbing Dave Vollmer took about his giant signals before he finally changed them out. He's now much happier with them though.

andyl913

• Crew
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2016, 02:49:22 PM »
Cool cool. I did miss that.

It just looked a little odd, and out of place with your otherwise stunning work.

I definitely don't mean to attack, and forget that when you're new here, you might not realize that most of the criticism you'll receive here is constructive (even if the medium itself may not do a great job of allowing us to communicate it).

I don't know if you ever saw how much ribbing Dave Vollmer took about his giant signals before he finally changed them out. He's now much happier with them though.

No worries :) I'm here to learn too as well! Rather than waiting to assemble everything, I added the dark brown wash that I was planning to add. The reason I decided to do it now is because I wanted to add it to the interior as well... plus I couldn't wait to see it done. Once it dries, I want to add some pastels to it, then I'll post the photo here!

andyl913

• Crew
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2016, 03:07:30 PM »
+7
I applied 3 coats of a dark wash of "Spice Brown" (dark brown). After the wash, I weathered with dark brown pastel powder and black pastel powder above the roundhouse stalls to represent steam soot. I may consider adding some interior and lighting this since I'm very pleased with how this is turning out.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2016, 06:29:50 PM »
Awesome. That looks much better now!

soo

• Crew
  • Respect: +107
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2016, 08:35:14 PM »
Wow....just found this today. Amazing. The most recent brick looks great.
I also like the recessed toggle and LED's on the control panel...great look!

See ya, Wyatt

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2016, 09:13:02 PM »

Yes, a few of the regular  :ashat:'s here will continue to poke and prod at something until you see things their way.  I've changed a few things on my layout as I posted photos and got responses like " you should do this" or "you really need to do that".  And as in Dave V's case, I am much happier with the new suggested work than what I had originally done.   :D :D

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2016, 09:42:34 PM »
+3
Yes, as we like to say around here, "Better modeling through peer pressure."  Oh, and attaboys aren't generally thrown around here freely.  In fact, if you post some pictures of your modeling and all you get is crickets, well, take that as a compliment.  That means no nitpicking.  I really shouldn't use the term nitpicking, because it really is honest-to-goodness constructive criticism around here.  On my layout, I owe a skewed wooden trestle, a highway bridge, my trees, and more to the recommendations of fellow TRW forumers.  My layout is where it is as a large result of a bunch of :ashat:'s.

DFF
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 09:47:32 PM by davefoxx »

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2895
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2016, 06:33:05 AM »
Good stuff ... another build thread to follow .. I'm liking the code 40 ..

andyl913

• Crew
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2016, 07:48:38 AM »
Yes, as we like to say around here, "Better modeling through peer pressure."  Oh, and attaboys aren't generally thrown around here freely.  In fact, if you post some pictures of your modeling and all you get is crickets, well, take that as a compliment.  That means no nitpicking.  I really shouldn't use the term nitpicking, because it really is honest-to-goodness constructive criticism around here.  On my layout, I owe a skewed wooden trestle, a highway bridge, my trees, and more to the recommendations of fellow TRW forumers.  My layout is where it is as a large result of a bunch of :ashat:'s.

DFF

That's great! It helps me make my modeling the best I can by other people seeing it... not to mention I'm 26 years old and was born way after the transition era, so getting some advice from fellow modelers on the board who remember those days can help me capture the feel of that time in the scenery. I can go by pictures that I find searching the internet, but experience from some other modelers brings something different to the table!

By the way, this layout is all freelance - no prototypical scenes, other than capturing the feeling of the 1940's-1950's of the New York Central. I want to challenge and grow my modeling skills with this layout in hopes of building a large, permanent layout in the future.

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2016, 11:16:15 PM »
+2
I thought the original paint job on then brick was better to my taste. I think it was the lighting that made the reddish tones look pink -- in another photo the "pink" looks orange. I have a whole downtown (and large textile mill) of brick so I'll be able to play around with this process.
Whatever color I wind up with on a building, I give a light dusting of white chalk powder. Some winds up in the mortar lines, and overall it gives that "lightening" effect of seeing an object from some distance, making its color look slightly washed out.
The best brick walls I've ever seen were decals made with photographs of real brick walls, adjusted to scale. Truly amazing.