Author Topic: Mike McGrattan Memorial Train - Photo Thread  (Read 50646 times)

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +455
Re: Mike McGrattan Memorial Train - Photo Thread
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2016, 02:38:51 AM »
+5
Aug. 10, 2016
Today, Mike McGrattan Memorial Train crossed onto the NP's Prairie line.
I got home from a short camping trip with my daughter to find a package waiting for me at the PO box. Once my daughter went to bed, I was able to spend some time running the Funeral Train, and reflecting. I apoligize for the poor picture quality, The software I use to stack Images isn't agreeing with Windows 10, so I was unable to fix the images.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
First shot is at Siding 1, where the former Tenino Junction station use to sit, Mike McGratton Memorial Train special passes though, as this train has the distinction of being the last train on my layout, (as it is being dismantled, so I can rent the room out to a friend,) the special has the rails to it's self.

Next shot is at Siding 2, along the Deschutes River, Shot is taken from a vantage point on top of a nearby hill.

Last shot is crossing the Nisqually River at McKenna

Finally, Here is a short video of Mike's Memorial Train Passing the only pieces of Canadian equipment on the property, as tribute.

RIP Puddy, you're greatly missed.
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1774
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2016, 10:17:33 PM »
+8
The McGrattan Memorial Train arrived in northern Oregon yesterday, handed off from the NP at Portland.
The SP&S took the train out into the rural Oregon countryside.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 03:23:19 PM by mmagliaro »

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +607
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2016, 07:45:54 PM »
+4
August 19, 2016

The Puddington memorial train arrived at Penn Station River City in the California Bay Area today.  Quite an assortment of Pennsylvania Railroad trains, both passenger and freight assembled to give a proper send-off when it was finally time for the train to pull out. From left to right, a Q2 heading up a coal drag, an M1a with a mixed freight, a T1 with the eastbound Pennsylvania Limited, a K4 with the memorial train, a GG1 at the head of the California Limited, a K4 in special paint with the PRR executive train, and an E6 with a local.

Each locomotive in attendance gave a blast as the memorial train pulled out.

Traveling east, the memorial train passed the westbound Pennsylvania Limited.

Upon reaching the East Bay town of Walnut Hill, the memorial train crossed over and headed into a siding.

Here, the train parked for the night.  The baggage car was opened for viewing of the exhibits inside.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 03:31:10 PM by eric220 »
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +607
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2016, 08:46:45 PM »
+3
After a day at Walnut Hill, the train continued east. At Sacramento, power was swapped out for at T1 for the assault on the Sierras, the run across Nevada and Utah, and the climb up the Rockies. A baggage car was also added to hold additional supplies for the trip. Here, the train climbs the grade through Red Canyon in Colorado.

After the climb up the west slope of the Rockies, the train took a siding at Keystone, where the PRR has almost finished construction on a modern ski resort.

After a few hours' layover, the train continued east. Here, the train blasts out of the Cassatt Tunnel, under Loveland pass. (I can't wait to get this scene done!)

The train drifted down grade toward Golden and Denver. Of course, it made a stop in Idaho Springs at a favorite :ashat: ::ahem:: dignitary watering hole. Although one of the mains was blocked, a local was able to pass on the opposite track.

Finally, the train made its way to the Cascade Mountain, Mine & Mill Division and points beyond.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 03:36:14 PM by eric220 »
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

dougnelson

• Crew
  • Respect: +2063
    • PRR N Scale
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2016, 01:46:33 AM »
+1
As I wait for Mike's Memorial Train to arrive at my railroad this weekend I am reminded of the RFK funeral train in June of 1968 from New York to Washington.  An estimated 2 million people lined the route to see the train.  Perhaps Penn Central's finest moment.

mighalpern

• Crew
  • Respect: +142
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2016, 09:48:14 PM »
+2
The Mike McGratten Memorial train arrived from the Transcontinental PRR via and exchange route into the Cascade Mountain Mine and Mill Division.
Ushered in by a CN RS3 the train arrives in the yard of Cascade.

The RS3 makes its way on the arrival track between trains that have stopped their voyages in order to pay their respects and give the memorial train the entire route

The RS3 gives up it's lead to a powerful group of F3 ABA units that will take it up and over the cascades

The signals have been given and all well wishers wave goodbye to a good friend as the train heads out

Past the industrial side of Cascade the train goes

And finally at the outskirts of town before beginning its journey to the mountains we say goodbye to our friend

Safe travels Mike

dougnelson

• Crew
    • PRR N Scale
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2016, 12:55:51 AM »
+7
August 27, 2016

The Mike McGrattan Memorial Train arrived at the PRR Middle Division in central Pennsylvania and passed through Huntingdon (AKA Mill Valley, California).  The business car was draped with Canadian flags to honor Mike (its the 1950s on this layout).

/>
AR Tower:

Arrival in Huntingdon, PA:

HUNT Tower:

A brief stop at Huntingdon station:

Later that day on its way to Harrisburg, the train crossed Sherman's Creek where it empties into the Susquehanna River:

Farewell friend.

And some official portraits for the record:

« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 12:54:59 AM by dougnelson »

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +268
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2016, 03:39:06 AM »
I see the train has gotten a blackened rear coupler pin and an observer on the rear platform. Nice touch with the flags; they should stay on the car. Be interesting to see if more little items are added as the train goes from layout to layout. I was tempted to put some people on the obs platform, myself. This is turning into a nice tribute. MR should mention it.

PGE_Modeller

• Crew
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2016, 12:03:09 AM »
- snip - Nice touch with the flags; they should stay on the car. Be interesting to see if more little items are added as the train goes from layout to layout. I was tempted to put some people on the obs platform, myself. This is turning into a nice tribute. MR should mention it.

Nice to see the flags. I am not sure when in the 1950s the PRR Middle Division is set but, as a Canadian, I would be remiss if I did not point out that those particular flags set the period of the photographs between 1957 - 1965.  The majority of the automobiles appear to be from the early 1950s although the police car shown in the view at Huntington station looks as though it might be a '55 or '56 Ford - can't tell for sure from the photo.  From 1922 - 1957, the Canadian Red Ensign had three conjoined green maple leaves in the lower field of the shield of the Canadian coat of arms.  On 8 October 1957, those maple leaves were changed to the red shown in the photos and on 15 February 1965 we got the current red flag with a single red 11-point maple leaf on a centred white field which is half the width of the flag.

Very happy to see that the model railroading "time machine" is active, however.  When the train comes to me, it will be September 1952.

(Edited to provide specific dates for the changes)
Cheers,
Greg
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 12:30:02 AM by PGE_Modeller »

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8454
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2016, 12:14:03 AM »
It will be arriving in Colorado Springs, Pennsylvania (:D) soon enough!  On my layout it's July of 1956.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5348
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2016, 01:10:29 PM »
Beautiful work, Doug.  The video is also exceptional.  Thanks,
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Angus Shops

• Crew
  • Respect: +256
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2016, 08:59:26 PM »
Thanks for the great photos and the video Doug. Your layout looks great.
Not that I have any real authority to comment for or 'agin, but I think the addition of the flags on the 'Michael McGrattan' is a great idea, and a really appropriate touch for Mike's car. It was a bit of rush to get the cars ready for their trip, and I think Tim and I both wish we had time to add add some finishing details.
Geoff

dougnelson

• Crew
    • PRR N Scale
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2016, 07:57:30 PM »
+1
Thanks for the comments.  I thought Mike deserved some flags as a great Canadian.  I included additional flags in the box (including the modern Canadian flag) if anyone else wants to use them.

1925-1957:

1957-1965:

1965 to present

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8454
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2016, 11:37:52 PM »
+7
The Mike McGrattan Memorial Train visited the PRR Juniata Division in July, 1956.  It was hauled by venerable K4s number 5448.

The entire consist:

Passing through SPRUCE Interlocking:

And over the Juniata River:

And out on the line:

Here it arrives at Lewistown:

The train arrived in Enola where it will switch power to a pair of GG1s that will take it across the Susquehanna by way of Shocks Mills Bridge.

It was also transported to 1905 and Buena Vista, Colorado where it was pulled by Colorado Midland number 34:

Video was taken as well.  A tribute to Mike and his proud Canadian heritage:

And out on the line:

« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 10:43:36 PM by Dave Vollmer »

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4135
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2016, 02:33:39 AM »
+1
Dave, nicely done.
Bryan Busséy