Author Topic: Paint Accumulating On Airbrush Nozzle  (Read 3718 times)

Genetk44

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Re: Paint Accumulating On Airbrush Nozzle
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2016, 02:39:31 PM »
In the spray session I mentioned, I was spraying Vallejo Air paint at 18psi.  Regarding the position of the needle, that position gives a spray pattern width of about 1 inch at a distance of 8 inches from the piece.   I could close it down a bit more and see if that helps.  I don't have any other nozzles, with the exception of the one off the old 200, that I could try, unfortunately.

Doug

Doug...try spraying some ModelAir at 12-15 psi......and close down the needle some more.....

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2016, 05:43:44 PM »
+1
I have also ran into paint accumulating in the nozzle of my Badger 200, but not quite to the extent you show in your photo.  I use the regular (not crown) tip. My accidental solution to this problem is shown below.  Few years back I dropped my airbrush and it landed nozzle first on a cement floor.  The nozzle tip was badly damaged and instead replacing it I decided to file it down.  It still works well, and there isn't much area for the paint to accumulate.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
. . . 42 . . .

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1636
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2016, 07:51:05 PM »
I've been fighting this with my Pasche for years. It accumulates not on the nozzle but on the needle, until enough builds up that nothing comes out. I have to disassemble, clean, etc. Pain in the butt!  I've tried less air. I use the largest nozzle size. Doesn't matter. I miss poisonous hazardous materials.

Craig

Santa Fe Guy

• Crew
  • Respect: +359
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2016, 05:26:08 AM »
It sounds like your needle is not clean all the way back through the sealing ring inside the airbrush and is not seating in the tip correctly. I would be very surprised if I could get a pattern an inch wide at 8 inches from the surface. It seams too wide to me. Also check that it is the correct needle for the tip.
I would also strip and clean the airbrush completely to ensue it is thoroughly clean. Folks have been caught this way before.
Just some thoughts. I hope you get to the bottom of the problem.
Rod.
Santafesd40.blogspot.com

coosvalley

• Crew
  • Respect: +639
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2016, 10:29:17 AM »
You guys are probably going to think I'm crazy, but I prefer my Aztek over my Badger airbrush.  Needle and nozzle problems are a thing of the past for me!... I keep my tips in a small jar of thinner.

I used to HATE airbrushing, but with my Aztek I actually look forward to it!...I'm not sure why folks don't seem to like Azteks. :?

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2016, 10:11:53 PM »

I used to HATE airbrushing, but with my Aztek I actually look forward to it!...I'm not sure why folks don't seem to like Azteks. :?

Friend of mine was a Badger Model 150 user. He got the Aztek (IIRC, as a gift).  He tried for a while but he put it back in the box and went back to his Badger. I also use Badgers and I did try using his Aztek.  I didn't like the way it fit my hand (that I could probably adapt to it) and I didn't like the sealed plastic nozzle cartridges. I didn't like the fact that they are plastic (toyish) and that they can't easily be taken apart to clean.  I like my tools metal and I like the give them a through cleanings.  I'm sure that it is all in my head but I'm staying with metal airbrushes.  :D
. . . 42 . . .

coosvalley

• Crew
  • Respect: +639
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2016, 11:32:58 PM »
Mine is the metal one, the nozzles are plastic, but , again, they fit into a jar of thinner,and therefore, are never dirty!(I also spray thinner through them before/after using).....I did expect you to say I was crazy though!..To each their own!

Another plus is the needles are much harder to bend than say a badger, which is why I went looking for a replacement...No matter how careful I was, my badger needles were always getting bent, causing problems not unlike the OPs...It only takes a slight bend to start screwing things up...

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2016, 12:31:42 AM »
Mine is the metal one, the nozzles are plastic, but , again, they fit into a jar of thinner,and therefore, are never dirty!(I also spray thinner through them before/after using).....I did expect you to say I was crazy though!..To each their own!

Another plus is the needles are much harder to bend than say a badger, which is why I went looking for a replacement...No matter how careful I was, my badger needles were always getting bent, causing problems not unlike the OPs...It only takes a slight bend to start screwing things up...

When I mentioned metal, I was really taking about the nozzle.

I never said you were crazy - it is me who is extra anal wanting to dissemble the entire paint-path for cleaning.  ;)  I'm sure there are plenty of happy Aztek airbrush users out there. It is just not for me.
. . . 42 . . .