Author Topic: Badger airbrushes for cheap money.  (Read 4875 times)

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
Badger airbrushes for cheap money.
« on: February 16, 2016, 11:05:21 PM »
Over the past few weeks I have been filling out my Badger airbrush collection. Prices have been really, really low. I picked up a 360 (their premier internal dual action modelers brush that converts from syphon to gravity feed) for $80 shipped. A 350 (single action exterior mix brush) with fine tip, syphon bottle and hose was only $16 shipped. Even the 30 PSI compressors were going for as little as $20.

With prices like this, its actually more affordable to use an airbrush over a spray can.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4581
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Badger airbrushes for cheap money.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 11:12:32 PM »

With prices like this, its actually more affordable to use an airbrush over a spray can.

Most spray-can lovers I know have a deep aversion to cleaning the airbrush after spraying (not to the cost of the equipment).  I don't get it - I have no problems keeping my airbrush clean (and it is easy to do).

I picked up couple of bargains at Michael's few years back. My favorite airbrush for spraying color on models (not weathering) is model 200.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 11:14:14 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

squirrelhunter

• Crew
  • Respect: +165
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 11:14:51 PM »
Where did you see these deals?

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 11:29:41 PM »
360 (gone up $10 since I ordered it):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BRMZ9G?keywords=badger%20360&qid=1455683008&ref_=sr_1_1&s=arts-crafts&sr=1-1

Looks like the 350 is sold out, but plenty on eBay for a similar price:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Badger-Versatile-Airbrush-Set-350F-9-Single-Action-External-Mix-/271885874423

And a Sotar 2020 is more than 75% off:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BROVIO?keywords=badger%20sotar&qid=1455682793&ref_=sr_1_1&s=arts-crafts&sr=1-1

I REALLY like the Sotar, but it can really only be used for weathering. Anything more than dilute india ink can clog it. You can use thinned acrylics, but they need to be like 4 parts thinner to 1 part paint, so no opaque work here.

johnb

• Crew
  • Respect: +887
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 11:32:44 PM »
Where can I find a compressor for $30?

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 02:29:09 AM »
I picked up couple of bargains at Michael's few years back. My favorite airbrush for spraying color on models (not weathering) is model 200.

Based on this I bought the Badger 200-20 fine detail model last year for $59.  It's currently $58 still
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BQ091I?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 11:21:42 AM »
I just bought my 3rd Iwata airbrush from a hobby shop going out of business.  It is the Iwata Neo gravity fed dual action brush.  I picked it up for $54.00.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1776
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 01:07:28 PM »
+1
I am out of touch on airbrush prices.  I bought a Badger Crescendo 175 in the 1990s - a complete kit with
extra nozzles, needles, jars, for about $80 and I still use it (beautiful tool, by the way - heavy barrel, double action,
really nice trigger feel)

Peteski,
I think you are right about the cleaning.  And that's ironic because clogged spray-bomb cans infuriate me.
Even if I am a good boy and I invert the can and spray some gas out to clean the hole, sometimes they still clog
and I have to play games with the little plastic spray head, pulling it off, soaking it in thinner, etc.  It takes 5 minutes to clean an airbrush, and that includes spraying thinner through it, unscrewing the barrel to clean and wipe the needle, and
cleaning the nozzle head and suction pipe (where the cup attaches) with thinner and a soft brush.

I think part of the aversion also comes from having to mix paint and thinner instead of just shaking a can and spraying.

Ngineer

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 03:08:07 PM »
And a Sotar 2020 is more than 75% off:

I REALLY like the Sotar, but it can really only be used for weathering. Anything more than dilute india ink can clog it. You can use thinned acrylics, but they need to be like 4 parts thinner to 1 part paint, so no opaque work here.

Why do they offer an airbrush that clogs so easily?  :?

Oh, BTW, can you spray Alclad II with the Sotar?

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 03:53:05 PM »
Why do they offer an airbrush that clogs so easily?  :?

Oh, BTW, can you spray Alclad II with the Sotar?

Maybe it is specifically designed for artists doing very fine work with water-thin dyes or watercolors/gouaches.
. . . 42 . . .

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 03:55:56 PM »
Maybe it is specifically designed for artists doing very fine work with water-thin dyes or watercolors/gouaches.

Precisely this.  Most airbrushing, in general is done spraying inks or very thin automotive enamels.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 03:58:31 PM »
I am out of touch on airbrush prices.  I bought a Badger Crescendo 175 in the 1990s - a complete kit with
extra nozzles, needles, jars, for about $80 and I still use it (beautiful tool, by the way - heavy barrel, double action,

Peteski,
I think you are right about the cleaning.  And that's ironic because clogged spray-bomb cans infuriate me.
Even if I am a good boy and I invert the can and spray some gas out to clean the hole, sometimes they still clog
and I have to play games with the little plastic spray head, pulling it off, soaking it in thinner, etc.  It takes 5 minutes to clean an airbrush, and that includes spraying thinner through it, unscrewing the barrel to clean and wipe the needle, and
cleaning the nozzle head and suction pipe (where the cup attaches) with thinner and a soft brush.

I think part of the aversion also comes from having to mix paint and thinner instead of just shaking a can and spraying.

I agree 100%.  I also often decant spray can paint and shoot it through the airbrush. It gives me much finer spray and much better control of where the paint goes.  The paint-mixing thing is to me a huge bonus since I can make any color or type of paint sprayable.

Maybe that airbrush-phobics are scared of too many adjustments, and of too much futzing with the paint. The cleaning thing might just be an excuse which they give when asked.
. . . 42 . . .

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2016, 04:05:20 PM »
+1
I spray an ounce of water through my airbrush after I am done, and that is it.  Every year I take it apart and clean the parts with lacquer thinner to get the dried paint off of the cup, but I have never had an issue.

I agree, being able to mix colors is one of the main reasons I use an air brush.  It also gives a very thin and controlled coat.

arbomambo

• Crew
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2016, 04:09:02 PM »

Peteski,

I have a number of airbrushes, including a couple of beautiful Iwatas that perform wonderfully...
however, my favorite 'go-to' brush, time after time, is my trusty Badger Crescendo...
something about the 'heft' makes it super comfortable and easy to control...easy to clean, and with an open tip easy to keep the nozzle clean while spraying any of the acrylics...
Bruce
"STILL Thrilled to be in N scale!"

Bruce M. Arbo
CATT- Coastal Alabama T-TRAK
https://nationalt-traklayout.com/

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2016, 06:02:11 PM »
+1
My airbrushes always seem to gunk up quickly. I batch my work by colors and will do half a dozen models at a time. By the end, there is a lot of paint on the needle and nozzle areas, even after running water and airbrush cleaner through it. I can usually go two sessions before breaking down the airbrush and putting the parts in a paint stripper or alcohol bath. let soak for an hour or two, run a pipe cleaner through the parts and you are ready to do.

I never really saw this as a major annoyance.

Right now I have the following brushes (All Badger):

250 - cheap money... 3 for $12. Work great for painting backdrops, and paint/glue mix for scenery. About as basic as you can get. External mix, single action and no paint flow adjustment.

350 - A good learning airbrush. At about 1/2 once, it is very lightweight, which I hate. Adding a paint cup or syphon bottle makes the front very heavy. The handle is hollow so I may add lead putty to even things out. Body is polycarbonate. If you sand down the parting line along the center of the brush, it becomes much more comfortable to hold. Currently $18 shipped with syphon jar, hose and propellant adapter.

200 - My first airbrush and one I still use occasionally. Single action, internal mix and made of metal. This brush has been around in various forms for over 40 years. I use it only with a syphon jar as I never liked the metal-on-metal seal with the syphon cup. I actually use this brush more for other projects - car, and house painting projects. The all brass construction has a great balance and weight to it. currently under $60.

155 - My first dual action internal mix brush. I purchased this for $65 during one of those half off sales at AC Moore. Back then (2003/3004), parts were easy to get at the local store. The chromed brass construction has good weight, but I don't think it is quite as well balanced as the 200. Syphon cup fits like a glove. Set also came with a syphon jar and several bottles along with a hose. Until recently, I thought this was the best price/performance brush on the market. If you want a gravity feed brush instead, the Patriot 105 is the same brush with a gravity cup instead. Currently about $80.

360 - My most recent purchase. At $80, this all metal dual action, internal mix brush is a steal. Gravity cup can swivel to become a syphon feed for larger projects. Balance is near perfect. Nice and heavy in the hand. I like the 90' hose connection which means the hose will not crimp in the palm of your hand like the 200. The syphon connection is further forward than on the 155, which lets you rest a finger between the hose and the syphon jar. Trigger action, like the 155 is damn near perfect. No "fingernail on a guitar string" feeling like you get with some Paasche brushes. But cleanup can take longer. Newer models use a dumb rubber cap instead of a metal one and packaging is either a blister pack or a cardboard box rather than a nice plastic clamshell like on my 155. Still, this is a stellar deal and probably the best mixed-use brush on the market.

Omni-Matrix - I bought this one for $60 when the Badger garage sale went live. This is basically a 360 with a finer paint head, needle and nozzle. The trigger has adjustable tension which is neat (I like a very stiff trigger pull). This was one of the first brushes Badger put out after absorbing Thayer and Chandler's line. As such, it is a bit of a Frankenstein. First, the handle is aluminum and the rest of the body is brass. This makes the brush EXTREMLY front heavy. Second, the cap does not attach to the butt of the handle like other badger airbrushes. This led my to lose it. It does have a finer spray pattern than the 360, but the tip will clog faster and you need to thin paint more. Its not a bad brush, but it wouldn't be my first choice. Right now I use it for weathering and fades. Incidentally, Badger seems to have addressed the major issues with it. The handle has been replaced with brass and the cab is now the same as the rest of the badger line. Currently $110