Author Topic: No New Model Modeling Challenge  (Read 7419 times)

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5404
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: No New Model Modeling Challenge
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2016, 03:30:39 PM »
How about a little more inspiration.  Not feeling industrial?  Maybe you can bash your way down Main Street with the stuff in your junk box...  I found these stunning examples in Middletown, Delaware yesterday.

You can glue a bay window randomly onto the facade of DPM structure...
Or make a shingled roof over the sidewalk, lots of them have survived since the 1970s craze of making downtown look more like suburban shopping malls... And how about that cornice in the middle?  Looks like a chunk of Rix Highway Railing might come in handy...

Or take some scrap clapboard siding or a leftover feed mill wall, and make a facade to sandwich an old building between a couple of newer brick buildings...  And how about that form stone on the left?  A veritable carnival of textures and materials!

Another interesting juxtaposition of styles and materials.  You can start with parts from Walther's Merchant's Row, but you certainly don't have to finish there...

Adding a striped awning can make any shabby apartment house look... well, like a shabby apartment with an awning...

And don't forget, you can jack up the rent if you jack up that third bedroom in Unit 2 B.

These examples were all sniffed, and officially Rigby Approved!

Okay... Go forth and mingle those pieces parts!

Lee
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 03:36:07 PM by wm3798 »
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2016, 04:12:10 PM »
Good to see you getting up my way, @wm3798.  A week ago, I was down your way with a court appearance in the Circuit Court in Easton.  Sorry we couldn't catch up on either occasion.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

jmarley76

• Crew
  • Respect: +132
    • WNCRails
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2016, 07:04:26 PM »
Made a little bit more progress this week. Added some supports and hit the whole thing with primer...

pdx1955

• Crew
  • Respect: +337
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2016, 07:31:32 PM »
Working with these Heljan pieces is a challenge...this plastic is so brittle as it would rather shatter than cut. If I was doing a bombed out building then this would be perfect. Since I'm not, I'm gonna have to dig in the parts bin to try to cover up some of the issues...its not just vines and downspouts this time :)

Peter
Peter

"No one ever died because of a bad question, but bad assumptions can kill"

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2016, 10:57:26 AM »
Progress continues at a glacial pace on my collection of lumber yard sheds.  This little building comes from the familiar old Faller freight station, with a loading dock of undetermined origin, and a few bits of scrap styrene for the concrete floor and back wall, which will be a series of roll up doors.

I think this will be the special order shed for millwork...

Who else is working on this project?

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2016, 10:59:33 AM »
A little more progress on the lumber shed, I put on the stock roof from the coal mine, but I'm not quite done with it yet.

The whole thing needs paint and some details.  I was a little worried that the building would look too tall, but I think it proportions well with the truck.

The little freight house made some progress too...

I built up the foundation using some sheet stock I had laying around, the walls and platform came from the scrap box.  I haven't settled on what I'm going to use for roofing yet, so that's yet to be added.

The back wall is built up from some scraps of sheet and strip stock that was in stock.  Some corrugated sheet makes the roll up door that's not rolled up.

Also needs paint, details, signs and lighting.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

jmarley76

• Crew
    • WNCRails
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2016, 11:18:14 AM »

I really like this little structure, looks like it could fit in just about any space or era...

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2016, 09:00:16 AM »

A little home-made roofing using a modified version of the White Glue casting method...
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

jmarley76

• Crew
    • WNCRails
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2016, 12:44:23 AM »
Here is the latest on my tipple. Not sure if it will remain gray, but the handrails will be yellow.

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2016, 10:44:08 AM »
Nice!

Given that I've been swamped with work, I haven't done a thing since my last post.  Therefore the deadline for entries is hereby extended in perpetuity!

Any more entries out there?
Rockin' It Old School

Kentuckian

• Crew
  • "This all started with Romans 10:9!" -Apologetix
  • Respect: +473
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2016, 07:15:30 PM »
Thanks for extending the deadline.  A spring break trip with my family set me back a week or so.  We'll see if anything happens this week.
Modeling the C&O in Kentucky.

“Nature does not know extinction; all it knows is transformation. ... Everything science has taught me-and continues to teach me-strengthens my belief in the continuity of our spiritual existence after death. Nothing disappears without a trace.” Wernher von Braun

jmarley76

• Crew
    • WNCRails
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2016, 10:07:20 PM »
Always nice to get a deadline extension!  :D

Any suggestions on a color? I have seen shades of blue, green, white/biege/tan. It doesn't help that I am an still debating if this is for gravel, coal, marble, or something else...

pdx1955

• Crew
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2016, 12:37:12 AM »
I've been on vacation too, so this shows where I am ...hopefully this week I'll make more progress. I had to completely cut the walls apart on the 3rd story to get the windows to line up as the two Heljan kits that I used weren't quite the same in window or pilaster spacing.I also sacrificed a story (its tall enough) mainly due to the crumbly plastic. I added a roof and base from old parts and braced it all up with bits of styrene. I still have more wall patching to do. I'll cover a lot of it up with a signboard. To keep in the spirit, all of the styrene bits were from open packages, some almost as old as the kits. I disassembled and cut apart a old MP water tank to use for a rooftop tank (you can see it on the right). Still have to figure out the color scheme (some form of red brick - but don't know about the windows).

Peter
Peter

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2016, 09:20:45 AM »
Ah yes... Crumbly plastic!  You could probably do a big smeared on concrete patch and weather it up.  Is that going to be a back drop building?

I have a bunch of back walls from the Heljan/Walthers round house kit with a similar window configuration, but no pilasters.  I'll be watching your progress with interest...

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

pdx1955

• Crew
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2016, 12:18:29 AM »
Yep, it will be a backdrop building - fits perfectly is a gap where it needs to go. I cut new sidewalls/pilasters from a leftover Cornerstone powerhouse kit for the sides (new plastic is so much easier to work with). That's a good idea about the concrete patches - I may have applications for that especially after filling some gaps.

Peter
Peter