Author Topic: No New Model Modeling Challenge  (Read 7409 times)

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5383
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
No New Model Modeling Challenge
« on: February 16, 2016, 11:29:59 AM »
With apologies to the Right Honorable Sir Puddington of Peterborough, I offer the following challenge to the artful dodgers (or dodgey artisans, you pick) of the Railwire.

The No New Model Modeling Challenge.
In a nutshell:
Build a model using bits and pieces of things you have laying around, without opening a new model from its package.  Think of it as The Railwire's version of "Junkyard Wars"

As an example, I offer the following mesmerizing bit of conjuring, an engine house Sir Pud built from his collection of model railroading effluvia.

Lifted with only a passing mention from the Puddington Valley's facebook page... to become one of the layout's legion of fans, you may link to it here:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010613551490&fref=ts

Now, I confess, I am at a bit of an advantage, having collected mountains of scenic and structure detritus dating back to N scale's Paleozoic era... a small sampling of which I offer here:

But I'm sure I'm not alone.

The rules are these:
You may not break the seal on any new structure kit, rolling stock item, or other commercially available new in the box scenic element to form the core of the project.  Primary parts must come from other sources, i.e., your junk box, items found second hand at a swap meet or show, loose, unpackaged parts or scratch building materials.  Items pilfered from layouts of other members are discouraged, but not prohibited.  These, of course, must be accompanied by a funny story.

New scratch building materials (such as strip styrene, strip wood, or other bits) may be used to complete the project, but not to start it...  Likewise, you may use new detail bits, such as figures, spot a pots, lighting or vehicles to augment the project and bring it in for a landing.

There are no limits on size or scope, but offerings should be able to be reviewed and discussed by ... lets say... March 18's Weekend Update.  Progress shots and discussion should be posted within this thread, and "before" and "after" pictures are encouraged, if not required.

So... on your marks, get set.... GO!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 11:34:52 AM by wm3798 »
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

jimmo

• Crew
  • Representing Willmodels
  • Respect: +6
    • Willmodels
Re: No New Model Modeling Challenge
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 03:46:30 PM »
Progress shots and discussion should be posted within this thread, and "before" and "after" pictures are encouraged, if not required.

Before and after what? Would that be like a pile of parts followed by a masterpiece?
James R. Will

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 03:59:28 PM »
Precisely. :ashat:

Maybe you've got something that's damaged, and can be repurposed.  Maybe you have a broom handle that you are going to whittle down into a stack of scale fire wood...

If you're modeling an industrial building or complex, maybe you can provide a prototype reference photo.

Whatever you need to show to describe and support your creative process.  It's entirely up to you.

Lee
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 04:06:50 PM by wm3798 »
Rockin' It Old School

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7943
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 04:32:36 PM »
I like it. It sounds like a very Lee challenge!

jmarley76

• Crew
  • Respect: +132
    • WNCRails
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 06:55:36 PM »
March 18 will be here before you know it! 8)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 06:59:20 PM by jmarley76 »

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 09:19:09 PM »

All this crap ought to net me something...
Rockin' It Old School

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1527
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 10:41:47 PM »
I'd love to participate but all I have are unassembled kits. Any chance you want to send out a surprise gift pack?
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 10:47:51 PM »
If only it were last winter

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

That one has a couple parts left over from a Glacier Gravel kit, and a bunch of PVC pipe and LEGO bricks.

Hmmm, I just restocked on LEGO parts, so I may have details only.
Peter Pfotenhauer

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 08:51:17 AM »
The inspiration photos are coming fast and furious now!
Rockin' It Old School

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 09:07:48 AM »
On the rail trail in Easton, there's an old lumber yard complex which is... well, pretty complex.  It's a collection of frame buildings that seems to have grown organically as the business expanded.

Various storage sheds, loading platforms, and roof lines create an interesting collection of shapes and textures.

This is the basis for my project, which I'll be building potentially to use on a module.  I'm going to start with some track side building flats, then see where it goes from there.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 09:14:25 AM »
If only it were last winter . . .

Or even last month!  This thing was cobbled together from styrene strip, sheet, and tubing.  The only commercial parts are the RIX girders.

Of course, I also need to finish these buildings which were started months ago with merely scratchbuilding materials and commercial windows and doors.   :facepalm:

Am I allowed to enter projects started but not completed?   :facepalm::facepalm:

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 09:46:25 AM »
Admirable as that work is, a straight up scratch build isn't within the spirit of the rules...  We're looking for adaptive re-use of old parts of other things...  New construction with fresh materials is prohibited!

(That station is making me feel all tingly inside...  I hope you have a spot for it in your new plan)... :)
Rockin' It Old School

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2016, 09:52:17 AM »
Admirable as that work is, a straight up scratch build isn't within the spirit of the rules...  We're looking for adaptive re-use of old parts of other things...  New construction with fresh materials is prohibited!

(That station is making me feel all tingly inside...  I hope you have a spot for it in your new plan)... :)

Gotcha!  Thanks for responding.  The station and enginehouse will still exist where they were intended to be located.  That part of the layout ("Aberdeen") still exists.  The bridge, however, is now unemployed.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2016, 08:25:36 PM »
Didn't realize how many of those old MP GE Building and Holland Iron kit windows I still have left.

Found all this in my 4 leftover parts boxes, some of which go back to the late 1980s.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Peter Pfotenhauer

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2016, 10:12:10 AM »
Everyone who's been in N scale for any length of time has probably had this smokin' turd of a coal mine on their layout at one time or another.

I was certainly no exception.

When I rebuilt my layout and installed Thomas, WV, I had planned to enlarge the tipple shown here, and had accumulated a couple of second hand kits to provide the bones.  Of course, that project was aborted when the layout was dismantled.

So I've had these things rattling around for some time.  It turns out, with a little judicious trimming, the walls will make for a dandy lumber shed for my No New Model Model of a building supply complex...

Here's what we've got so far...

And just because I hate to see things go to waste, I took some of the wall sections I cut out and built a little office/store room which also serves to help support the wall.

I love the detail of the interior timbers, and the gaps between the siding boards.  This will definitely get the LED lighting treatment, which should make for a pretty cool look when the lights are dimmed.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School