Author Topic: Farmall Decals  (Read 7301 times)

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1239
Farmall Decals
« on: January 04, 2015, 12:51:53 PM »
I want to model a flat car load of new Farmall Tractors. I've ordered 4 of the GHQ kit but I think I'll need the white lettering on the sides. It is too noticeable when they're new. Any one know of someone who does these or have any other suggestions?

garethashenden

• Crew
Re: Farmall Decals
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 03:15:43 PM »
The problem with researching answers before asking questions is that when I can't find the answer it usually means there isn't a straight forward answer. :(

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4647
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 04:33:06 PM »
The problem with researching answers before asking questions is that when I can't find the answer it usually means there isn't a straight forward answer. :(

Since you did the research, do you have any good straight-on photos of the logo (and its approximate size in N scale).  Some members here have the ability to print decals (for other members). That process is even easier if a good photo (or even vector artwork) of the logo is available.  ;)
. . . 42 . . .

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +462
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 09:44:58 PM »
I'm doing the same load, but 5 tractors. I plan on leaving the lettering off, because it's so small, that unless you are able to gain access to a professional resolution printer, it's going to look like white dots.....
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 09:48:14 PM »
I'm doing the same load, but 5 tractors. I plan on leaving the lettering off, because it's so small, that unless you are able to gain access to a professional resolution printer, it's going to look like white dots.....

+1
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

garethashenden

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 05:12:34 PM »

Good point about resolution, I hadn't thought about that. I'll build them without the lettering and see how it looks.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 06:50:02 PM »
I would still like to see the logo - I'm too lazy to look it up.  Post it (or a link to it) if you have it handy.  Alps can print some really small things (like steam loco builder plates in N scale).  :)
. . . 42 . . .

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

garethashenden

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 01:34:16 AM »
I would still like to see the logo - I'm too lazy to look it up.  Post it (or a link to it) if you have it handy.  Alps can print some really small things (like steam loco builder plates in N scale).  :)

Here are 12"=1' decals. http://www.ebay.com/itm/IHC-Farmall-Model-M-Tractor-Decal-Set-NEW-FREE-SHIPPING-/311117343738
The important bits are the "FARMALL" and the "M" in a circle. Not entirely sure of the length, 15" to 18" inches, or thereabouts.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 03:26:20 AM »
Yeah, the small lettering is a bit too small to render (and too small to read on the model without some serious magnification).  :)  But the FARMALL and circled M might be doable.  I might make them a bit larger than the prototype for visibilty, but they should still have the right "flavor".

I need a size reference from your model.  Please provide the model's hood dimensions at the green arrows.  I know the top of the hood is curved - give me a best estimate so I can size the lettering to fit.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 09:57:28 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

garethashenden

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 12:46:25 PM »
They're still in the mail but once they're here I'll measure one up. Unless someone wants to do it now...

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +462
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 08:16:57 PM »
They're still in the mail but once they're here I'll measure one up. Unless someone wants to do it now...

I have mine assembled and good to go, I'll try to get some batteries for my micrometer in the next few days and take some measurements.
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

Burlington Bob

• Crew
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2015, 02:20:25 AM »
I'm in the process of putting a GHQ IH Super M-TA together.  Mine will be used as a chore tractor in the middle to late 60's so the paint will be faded and it will be a little dirty.  As for decals..........they would be so small that I'm not even going to worry about it.  The prototypes were only in the neighborhood of six inches or so tall for the Torque Amplifier emblem.  If you just build it as a regular M the emblem was even less noticeable.  All mine will get is a small grey dot at most for a well used tractor.  The older they got the harder it was to see the name and model on the real ones.
Everywhere West

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2015, 02:54:15 AM »
Well, I just like a challenge and pushing the limitations of my printer.  My plan is to possibly make the decals slight larger than scale. They will still look acceptable and they will give the model extra realism.

If I can print readable decals for N scale pizza boxes and slices of pizza on plates, I should be able to make a circled M decal 6 scale inches in diameter (if someone bothers to look at the model through a magnifier or a  macro photo).  :D

« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 10:53:12 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

Burlington Bob

• Crew
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2015, 10:28:37 AM »
Wow, if I had a printer capable of resolution that fine I'd try it too, just for the challenge.  That's fantastic!
Everywhere West