Author Topic: LED Ditch Lights for the FVM GP60M  (Read 3783 times)

jereising

• Crew
  • Respect: +609
    • The Oakville Sub
LED Ditch Lights for the FVM GP60M
« on: November 11, 2014, 10:20:37 AM »
The FVM GP60M is a wonderful locomotive with the exception of the ditch lights.  Their illumination is virtually nonexistant.  This will remedy that issue.

You will need the normal complement of tools, and the LEDs and wire for them, and a function DCC plug in decoder.

I used the Ngineering N-1018 Micro Super Incandescent LED, and their #38 Magnet Wire with solder-strippable insulation.

Additionally, since the DCC decoder for the GP60M (and indeed all FVM locos to date) is the six pin decoder (Digitrax DZ126IN), there are no functions available.  But Digitrax has taken care of this with their DZ146IN which has wires for two functions.  (We'll need only one function for the LEDs.)

You'll prepare the LEDs per Ngineering's instructions.  WARNING!  This is VERY fine work - but if I can do it, so can you.

You will need to have both wires exit the LED on one end, since you will be inserting it into the hole on the underside of the porch formerly used by the light pipe.

After soldering the wires in place on the LEDs you will also want to paint the LED with first black paint (to insulate), then with silver to mask the light output.  You will paint five sides, leaving only the front unpainted - again, very delicate.  If you don't paint, the residual light from the LED will cause the ditchlight housings to glow in a very unprototypical manner.

Also, test the LEDs at every step.  Nothing is worse than having one or both not work when everything has been put back together.  I use a 1K resistor both for testing and as a final resistor for both LEDs.

You will want to dissassemble the loco removing the walkway from the body.  When you remove the "front porch" and ditch light pipe, you may discard the light pipe.

What you will have then is the front porch and front railing, with the ditch light housings.  The housings have a hole where the light pipe used to go.  One of my locos had that pipe glued in but it drilled out easily.  You will need to enlarge the hole so the LEDs will slide in - I find a #55 bit works.  You will likely have to go a little deeper so the LED goes completely in - you'll know when if you have the LED lit when inserting.  You don't want to see the top edge of the LED.

Ngineering has recently changed the size of these LEDs, enlarging them slightly.  A #60 bit used to do the job for the old version, the new requires a #55 hole.

Once you're happy with the position of the LED, glue it in place with some Aleene's Tacky Glue (or your glue of choice; I chose Aleene's because if you need to remove the LED after the glue has set you can do so fairly easily).

Although the pictures show the ditch light lenses in place, I have removed them on the final version.  I think it looks better.

Route the wires toward the back and use a spot of glue to hold them - there's a molded channel in the walkway piece, try to route the wires so they will be within that channel when the assembly is put together.

continued
Jim Reising
Visit The Oakville Sub - A Different Tehachapi - at:
http://theoakvillesub.itgo.com/
And on Trainboard:
http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=99466

jereising

• Crew
    • The Oakville Sub
Re: LED Ditch Lights for the FVM GP60M
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 10:28:32 AM »
Do the second LED in a similar manner.

You don't want a bunch of blobs of glue.  The Tacky Glue will flatten nicely.  If you have excess you can scrape it off.

Now you assemble the porch to the walkway using the guide pins.  I put a very small amount of container glue in the middle to hold it until reassembly is complete.  Don't forget to place the handrails where they belong on the loco front.

Connect the two LEDs together and test.  Note I have used Tacky Glue again to insulate the wires. 

After testing, put the body and walkway back together.  When dry, tuck the wires into the nose and route the wires as shown, gluing as appropriate.  I usually glue to a spot about halfway back.

Note in the picture of the decoder that I have placed the resistor sideways at the rear of the board on the blue (positive) wire.  Cut the resisitor leads very short, just leaving enough to solder.  The green wire is Function 1, negative, and you can see how I've routed it.  Cut and insulate the end of the purple (F2) wire so it's out of the way.   I tuck the resistor under the decoder and the green wire bends around and comes out on top, but whatever works for you.  I also used Kapton tape to insulate both sides of the decoder.

Tuck the chassis into the body being careful that the wires are out of the way, and you're good to go.

continued
Jim Reising
And on Trainboard:

jereising

• Crew
    • The Oakville Sub
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 10:29:27 AM »
This whole procedure is easier than it sounds.  The hardest part is waiting for the Tacky Glue to dry so you can go to the next step.  And you've just made a great model better!

Jim Reising
And on Trainboard:

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1637
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 10:35:17 AM »
Awesome!  I have done a few installations using that tiny magnet wire but never knew to use the Tacky Glue to hold the wires in the shell prior to assembly.  I can think of a few bad words said when wires were pinched and things stopped working.

Thanks! 

Craig

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1668
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 02:44:33 PM »
Great post Jim.   How do you like the color and the brightness of the LEDs compared to the factory headlight -- are they pretty close?   If the LEDs are too bright, one could always increase the resistor value.

Did you use the 12W soldering iron and low-temp solder from Ngineering?

Ed

Jim Starbuck

• Crew
  • Respect: +2099
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 03:33:55 PM »
Nice work Jim.

I'm unfamiliar with the programming on that particular decoder and the prototype operation but would it be possible to connect one LED to each function and program them to occilate?
Again, not sure what each particular road used in operation or if it even applies here.
Modutrak Iowa Division
Modutrak.com
Better modeling through peer pressure

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 03:55:06 PM »
BNSF locomotives do not (typically) have alternating ditchlights.   There are some exceptions, (some holdout ex-BN SD70MAC's, for one example) but at least MOST if not all of the GP60M's are setup with constant ditchlights.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

jereising

• Crew
    • The Oakville Sub
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 07:44:29 PM »
Thank you, gentlemen!

Craig, I continually find new uses for the Tacky Glue.  Very forgiving stuff.  Only bad part is waiting for it to dry :-)

Ed, I think they're a good match.  On the first loco I used a 2.2K because of the porch pumpkin effect, but went back to 1K (for both) once that had been solved.  I have a variable temperature Weller I've used for years.  I keep it on the low side but can crank it up if need be.   I have learned to be very quick when attaching wires to the LEDs.

Bill, I'm sure that could be done, but since my prototype (as pointed out by Doug A, Thanks) does not use flashing ditch lights neither shall I.
Jim Reising
And on Trainboard:

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1143
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 07:46:57 PM »
Thanks for the great post with the details Jim.  I recently acquired some LED ditchlights (thanks Craig!) and this really helps me visualize the process.

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1637
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 08:11:07 PM »
Scott I recommend you use Tacky glue during the installation. Haha.

Craig

Jeff AKA St0rm

• Crew
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 08:15:14 PM »
Another great tutorial. Thanks Jim.

Mark W

• Crew
  • Respect: +2125
    • Free-moNebraska
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 08:52:45 PM »
Contact me about custom model building.
Learn more about Free-moNebraska.
Learn more about HOn3-mo.

JanesCustomTrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +74
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 09:29:50 PM »
25 bucks for 10 LEDs that you have to solder yourself?!?! 

Or check ebay for 0603 warm white if you want to solder them yourself, 100 pcs $4.45 with free international shipping. $25.95 for 10 pcs, well that's a margin (some may even call it greed).

Jane
I don't want to start any blasphemous rumors
But I think that God's got a sick sense of humor
And when I die I expect to find Him laughing...

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +430
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 09:33:10 PM »

rochsub

• Crew
  • Respect: +253
    • The N Scale UPRR Geneva Subdivision
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2014, 09:39:25 PM »
Nice work Jim.  Looks great.  Ever thing about putting each light on its own function output so that you can flash the ditch lights?

Daryl