Author Topic: BLI Baldwin Centipedes: Pre-production pictures posted on Facebook  (Read 4690 times)

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
Re: BLI Baldwin Centipedes: Pre-production pictures posted on Facebook
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2014, 12:36:08 AM »
Caboose Hobbies has a street price of $379.25 for the A-A pair.  Damn, they are pretty bad-a$$ looking.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2014, 12:53:48 AM »
Yeah, Brooklyn Loco Works lists them for $367.49. I forgot how pricey they were. That crosses my pain threshold for a "just for fun" almost-happened-but-didn't foobie.

More power to 'em, though. Glad to see BLI ramping it up in N.

muktown128

• Crew
  • Respect: +99
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2014, 08:45:05 AM »
I'm also glad to see all the Pennsy love coming from BLI recently.  :) I can't wait to get the 2 M1's I have on reserve.  I got a 6 pack each of PRR and N&W H2a hoppers and have a 4 pack of each PPR H32 scheme on reserve.  I didn't bite on the Centipedes.  They do look good, so I may reconsider...  I really need to start unloading stuff on the 'bay.

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2014, 09:05:09 AM »
"Minimum Operating Radius: 9.75 in" From BLI's website.

I would need to see this to believe it.  Even with articulation, the car body would overhang the curves so much nothing could be coupled to it.

Leggy

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2014, 09:15:36 AM »
Couplers are on the underframe sections are they not? You'd just need to have everything 3' away from the track. Like a real 3', not a scale 3'.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7950
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2014, 09:40:30 AM »
Well, one of you locals needs to get one. They definitely made appearances on the NCR back during the PRR era, but I don't want a set enough to get my own.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4590
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2014, 10:57:54 AM »
Yeah, Brooklyn Loco Works lists them for $367.49. I forgot how pricey they were. That crosses my pain threshold for a "just for fun" almost-happened-but-didn't foobie.

More power to 'em, though. Glad to see BLI ramping it up in N.

Yes, but that is for 2 powered and DCC sound-equipped models: $184 per locomotive.  That is not all that bad for what you get (especially for a model of such an esoteric locomotive).  This is no run of a mill diesel (construction-wise).

Still, too bad that BLI doesn't offer A-A set with one dummy model.
. . . 42 . . .

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2014, 11:14:47 AM »
Agreed relative to the rest of the market, but sound is worth <$0 to me. I paid the sound premium on a recent BLI PA A-B set (B dummy) because the details were mostly correct for my prototype versus old Kato and Life-Like, but I run it with the sound off. Not my intention to initiate yet another debate about sound, just putting it out there that it's not everybody's cup of tea. So being asked to pay the sound premium for a desirable model has to factor into the purchase/not purchase equation.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4590
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2014, 03:07:04 PM »
Agreed relative to the rest of the market, but sound is worth <$0 to me. I paid the sound premium on a recent BLI PA A-B set (B dummy) because the details were mostly correct for my prototype versus old Kato and Life-Like, but I run it with the sound off.  So being asked to pay the sound premium for a desirable model has to factor into the purchase/not purchase equation.

In that case (your preference is quite reasonable) looks like BLI lost a customer.  It would be nice if they sold DC-only and sound-free models.
. . . 42 . . .

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2014, 04:22:08 PM »
It would be nice if they sold DC-only and sound-free models.

True dat!

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2014, 05:16:21 PM »
Well, one of you locals needs to get one. They definitely made appearances on the NCR back during the PRR era, but I don't want a set enough to get my own.

I'm tempted Ed.  Would look weird and stupid on my small layout.  But there are plenty of large layouts close I could run them on where they would not look that bad.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2014, 05:56:49 PM »
In that case (your preference is quite reasonable) looks like BLI lost a customer.  It would be nice if they sold DC-only and sound-free models.

If they did offer straight DC with no sound I would most likely get one set.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

CodyO

• Crew
  • Cody Orr-SPF
  • Respect: +194
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2014, 11:54:26 PM »
I'm up in the air
Very cool unique engines
But they are big
It will all come down to what the $$ looks like when they come out and if the CFO will approve
Modeling the Pennsylvania Middle Division in late 1954
             Nothing Will Stop The US Air Force

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2014, 12:29:31 AM »

Yes, but not holding my breath. I think they very carefully considered the ramifications and have committed to "all sound, all the time". I also got the impression from their E-unit development that sound is a big selling point for them in the overall market, where they have the factory-installed no-hassle DCC+sound for the modelers who want it, and Kato owns the no-sound, no-DCC market. Their earlier E production offered the "without" option (of which I bought each UP number offered), but the second or third production round was all sound-equipped. Maybe it turned out "no sound" didn't sell for them, or wasn't worth the dual inventory. Hmm.

Unfortunately, there's no Kato (or other modern) equivalent for the Centipede, so this is more or less testing the market for pain threshold.

I may eventually relent on this particular model. The historical information was that UP was interested in the Centipede as a diesel equivalent to the Big Boy expressly for running between Salt Lake City and Los Angeles, which is what I'm mostly modeling, and I expect to have a layout large enough for it to look decent. Anyway, the sole reason UP didn't have them is the Baldwin salesman sold them a promise and nothing more. After a second missed delivery commitment a year after the first, the UP purchasing manager visited the Baldwin factory and discovered there was absolutely nothing on the floor related to the "committed" production... there weren't even erection drawings yet. It was at this point UP said "Enough!", took control of motive power R&D and started the turbine program.

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +607
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2014, 04:07:08 PM »
Couplers are on the underframe sections are they not? You'd just need to have everything 3' away from the track. Like a real 3', not a scale 3'.
I would need to see this to believe it.  Even with articulation, the car body would overhang the curves so much nothing could be coupled to it.

Here's the HO version.

-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com