Author Topic: Weekend Update 10/26/14  (Read 8348 times)

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2098
Weekend Update 10/26/14
« on: October 24, 2014, 07:24:59 PM »

Richie Dost

nscaleSPF2

• Crew
  • knowwhatimean?
  • Respect: +103
Re: Weekend Update 10/26/14
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 08:12:30 PM »
PRR L1s.  GHQ kit (no longer available from the manufacturer), Kato Mikado mechanism (also no longer available from the manufacturer).  It took me almost 3 years to gather the courage to attempt this project.  Loco is in the paint shop, and is guaranteed to look better with paint, and with a tender that sits lower on the front truck.  More photos after paint.

Jim

Jim Hale

Trying to re-create a part of south-central Pennsylvania in 1956, one small bit at a time.

mandealco

• Crew
  • Respect: +335
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 09:01:18 PM »
Hi
 Been a while since I managed to do any modelling and projects are backing up. Still need to work on M&E 17 and WNY&P 630, but they have progressed a little.
Click image for larger version. 

The three here are LA&L 425, SIXX 77 which is a former Cartier and Alco demonstrator C-636, and an RS-1 that has been partly converted into an MRS-1.

How many projects is too many?????? Here we have RRPX 563, an ex-AT&SF SSB-1200 (in M&E colours).  a Topeka cab GP-7U, to become M&E 23, and a Black Maria Cab unit, part of an A-B-A set from Zsolt Kemeny in Hungary, the completed photo below is his awesome work. He is also responsible for the RS-27 and the DR-4-4-15.

The RS-27 is scratch built by Zsolt, based on a modified Union Pacific version. I will likely add dynamic brakes and paint it in MLW colours used on an ex-UP unit on lease to the PGE/BCOL in the 70's.

This is the DR-4-4-15 "kit" that I will use to build a CNJ Babyface unit. The parts are for the NYC/MP version, so I have extra parts so I can build the shorter CNJ version.

Here is a completed NYC unit that Zsolt made. Looks Awesome. (Zsolt photo)

And here is his completed Black Maria. Pretty nice work. (Zsolt photo)

Really need to finish some of these.

Cheers
 Steve
 NZ
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 03:18:58 AM by mandealco »

skytop35

• Crew
  • Respect: +730
    • Skytop Models
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 09:25:27 PM »
Wow, those are cool diesels. Love the Black Maria. Don't see that everyday !!!

Here's my project this week: Bandit at 12 o'clock.

Bill Denton

Skytopmodels.com

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 09:37:03 PM »
"a Black Maria Cab unit, part of an A-B-A set from Zsolt Kemeny in Hungary, the completed photo below is his awesome work. He is also responsible for the RS-27 and the DR-4-4-15."

Awesome indeed.  How does one go about ordering one?  Does he have a website?  OK, any more new projects need to wait on getting oil changes for 2 cars and new tires for one, but just in case I get a huge raise or something...

Tom D
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1636
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 10:01:46 PM »
I made great progress this week in the loco and power car for my Pacific Starlight Dinner train. All that's left is the fine details , lighting, and assembly.

Craig

« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 10:05:36 PM by craigolio1 »

mark dance

• Crew
  • Respect: +1279
    • The N Scale Columbia and Western
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 11:31:08 PM »
Gotta love all the work so far.  Very unique offerings!

This week's two major achievements were adding lights to the Celgar mill and an operating session last night.

First the mill...

...and then the ops session

A very unusual event: a saw-by at Shields

TRW's own Gary H (of Tehachipi BC fame) switching South Slocan while Anthony C "double fists" a loaded ore train managing the head end units with his left throttle and the pushers with his right throttle.

Scott and Rene run Nelson admirably...a lot of cars were moved last night.  The crew was very experienced and so the car forwarding variables were set to "max"...quite an impressive job by all to keep the layout fluid.

Have a great weekend!

md
Youtube Videos of the N Scale Columbia & Western at: markdance63
Photos and track plan of of the N Scale Columbia & Western at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27907618@N02/sets/72157624106602402/

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 12:00:11 AM »
I took some time off everything...
Took the Zephyr from California to Denver.
Saw amazing scenery.
Took my grandson to the Forney museum.
Saw the Big Boy and rang some bells.
Can't ever start them too young.... :)
All and all, time very well spent.
Otto K.

superturbine

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 12:20:42 AM »
PRR L1s.  GHQ kit (no longer available from the manufacturer), Kato Mikado mechanism (also no longer available from the manufacturer).  It took me almost 3 years to gather the courage to attempt this project.  Loco is in the paint shop, and is guaranteed to look better with paint, and with a tender that sits lower on the front truck.  More photos after paint.

Jim

I like it.... keep up the good work!

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 01:50:36 AM »
The RS-27 is scratch built by Zsolt, based on a modified Union Pacific version. I will likely add dynamic brakes and paint it in MLW colours used on an ex-UP unit on lease to the PGE/BCOL in the 70's.

Never dreamed that Zsoft would be working on something like this  I have one of his Rock Island St. Louis Car Co. shorty motor car shells that I will likely, eventually, finish.  Looks like I need to get in touch with him to see what else he is working on

BCRail_FSJ

• Crew
  • Respect: +520
    • Trying to model the BCR Fort St John BC (again)...while living in Australia (what could possibly go wrong?)
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 10:10:48 AM »
I made great progress this week in the loco and power car for my Pacific Starlight Dinner train. All that's left is the fine details , lighting, and assembly.

Craig

How did you notch the nose corners for the numberboards on 601?.  That was the one thing that eluded me on my CRS 20s.   I ended up using Miniatures by Eric RS11 corner fillers and attempting to file the notched number board area into them.   Wasn't very successful in the end, but I can live with it

« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 10:18:39 AM by BCRail_FSJ »
Attempting Canadian prototype modelling in Australia

British Columbia Fort St John Subdivision
https://nscalefortstjohnsub.wordpress.com

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 10:24:04 AM »
The mill is really starting to look wonderful Mark.
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

mark dance

• Crew
  • Respect: +1279
    • The N Scale Columbia and Western
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2014, 10:28:06 AM »
Thx Mike!  Very high praise given all your experience around pulp/paper mills.  Thank You!
md
Youtube Videos of the N Scale Columbia & Western at: markdance63
Photos and track plan of of the N Scale Columbia & Western at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27907618@N02/sets/72157624106602402/

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2014, 01:16:15 PM »

Jim

Well done. The great thing about this kit is that it's a great warmup in to the "next level" of our craft.
What you have done looks great, but I wouldn't be an  :ashat: if I didn't offer some constructive criticism.

1. Relocate that platform from that tank in the front, or swap the headlight and generator. Depending on your era, of course. The "facelift" came later where the headlight is on top of the smokebox instead of on the front of it.

2. Don't forget about those metal platforms on the smokebox face and on the smoke box supports.
Not the best picture of mine, but it shows what I'm talking about. I'm also going to call Cody O and make him post better pics. "Daddy Lee" still has mine so I can't take pics at the moment.

And looking at this again, it looks like you may not have the brass sheet with those parts. It looks like you bent that semicircle on the smokebox face yourself, and it's damned impressive.

3. Your piping looks great, and if you went just a little bit further with it, it'd be killer.

Of course, if you're happy with it, pay me no mind. It will look great no matter what.
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2035
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2014, 05:24:41 PM »
M&E - glad to see the WNYP decals still worked.   You certainly made good use of them!

This is a true RAILWIRE project - as a result of Mike's signal thread.

For the "before" shot, see the thread, but here's what I've got now:  Scale sized 'high targets', using the following:

Mike's "White City' etchings of ladders, standoffs and platforms (incredible!)
Tomar 3-color signal heads (special order)
BLMA signal mounts
Sunrise bases and caps

Here's the prototype - when they are this high you have to resort to building them yourself:
http://www.rrsignals.net/Atsf/Albuquerque/2ndDistrict/WinslowYard/WinslowYard.jpg
And the model: