Author Topic: Latest Rapido newsletter...  (Read 8574 times)

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3528
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
Re: Latest Rapido newsletter...
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2014, 12:21:51 AM »
I wish to commend Rapido Trains for their announcement of an N scale freight car.  While I have no need myself for meat reefers, I have an interest in seeing another company enter the N scale freight car market, and I hope it does well for them.  The forthcoming additional passenger train models will also be welcome.  I have purchased some fo the bulkhead flatcars produced for Prairie Shadows, which I am pleased to have.

Posts criticising model railway companies for their announcement and delivery schedule are often made without a knowledge of the many significant cultural, economic and logistical challenges of producing our models offshore.  As someone who has worked with numerous companies, I can tell you that those challenges have never been more difficult than during the last few years. 

Early announcements are useful to modellers for budgeting purposes, and they are useful to companies who sometimes receive useful feedback prior to finalization of artwork and tooling.  Late deliveries are usually not for want of effort on the part of the model railway companies in bringing the products to market in a timely fashion.   The reasons for later deliveries are too numerous to list here, and are often unavoidable.  It is often the case that a later delivery has been accepted in order to deliver a better product, and surely no model railway company ought to be criticised for that.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2014, 02:01:55 AM »
Posts criticising model railway companies for their announcement and delivery schedule are often made without a knowledge of the many significant cultural, economic and logistical challenges of producing our models offshore.

I guess that's something we have in common with the manufacturers who decided to do business there.    ;)

Jason

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2014, 03:20:27 AM »
I guess that's something we have in common with the manufacturers who decided to do business there.    ;)

Jason

However Jason also posted, somewhere I forget exactly where, that bringing production back to North America would increase the cost of items but 400%.

I dunno about you, but I'd rather wait, than pay $200+ for a single passenger car.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2014, 03:58:52 AM »
However Jason also posted, somewhere I forget exactly where, that bringing production back to North America would increase the cost of items but 400%.

Yeah, we really got screwed.  :|

That 400% should be broken down to show how much is just assembly. 

Jason

sd45elect2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +452
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2014, 07:21:06 AM »

Jason

Maybe I'm alone but I saved a bunch of money (closer to 75%) and enjoyed assembling kits from intermountain back when they had kits. The story I got from intermountain was that the kits really didn't sell so they were discontinued. I guess model builders are a minority as a result we pay.

Randy

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2014, 10:53:45 AM »

Not assembly.  It's the labor rate throughout the process.  Machine setup and breakdown on the injection molding, loading the plastic parts on the fixtures for painting and printing, paint mask creation and use, assembly, and packaging.  It's a very labor-intensive process, even with all of the automation.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Scott Lupia

• Crew
  • Respect: +183
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2014, 11:00:47 AM »
I just saved 15% on my car insurance by switching to Geico so I figure the cars would only cost me about 375% more.  It is starting to look appealing!

Scott Lupia
"All I wanted was a Pepsi"

Scott Lupia

• Crew
  • Respect: +183
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2014, 11:03:46 AM »
Kidding aside, I need these cars.  I will buy them and continue to buy them as more schemes are released.  That red Swift car is the one I have been wanting for ages.  Am very happy to see Rapido step up to this!

Pud - I need your bank name and routing number.  I am going to direct deposit my pay to Rapido.

Scott Lupia
"All I wanted was a Pepsi"

rapidotrains

• Crew
  • Respect: +265
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2014, 11:16:19 AM »

Pud - I need your bank name and routing number.  I am going to direct deposit my pay to Rapido.

Scott Lupia

Cash in the way of unmarked bills will be preferred. Send them to my attention....

:D

-Jason

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2014, 11:26:08 AM »
Cash in the way of unmarked bills will be preferred. Send them to my attention....

:D

-Jason

Care of Mike........

Ya, I know Jason..."Mike, you're fired"........ :D
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

rapidotrains

• Crew
  • Respect: +265
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2014, 02:30:20 PM »
Care of Mike........

Ya, I know Jason..."Mike, you're fired"........ :D

Took the words right out of my mouth...

-Jason

:P

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2014, 02:55:39 PM »
"Ya, I know Jason..."Mike, you're fired"........ :D"

Given that you are going to be short handed for a while, probably not the best time for me to be sending in my annual plea for Green sleepers.

Tom D
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2014, 04:44:20 PM »
Hi guys,

I think we've mentioned before the issue with a lot of our N scale products.  They are stuck in a factory that has a very, very, VERY slow turnaround time. 

I alluded to this in the newsletter.  The reefer - made at one of the new factories - went from drawing to 95% finished sample in two months.  The OBs have been in tooling for over a year and the early sample is not nearly good enough to produce.  Mike is optimistic when he says we'll have a better sample in January.  I think we're going to have to restart the tooling in March with one of the new factories and deliver a 95% finished sample in June.  We'll then be able to deliver by the end of the year.  Based on our experiences with the Cafe-Bar-Lounge and 10-5 Sleeper, that will be faster than waiting for the old factory to finish the tooling we started over a year ago.

Don't get me started on that Cafe-Bar-Lounge and 10-5 Sleeper.  That tooling should have been started and finished within two months.  It was very easy to do.  We just approved the final samples last week - 2.5 years after we started the tooling.  That's 30 months when it should have been two.  At least the tooling is finished and they are in production.  That factory does gorgeous work.  They are just too slow for our needs.

By this time next year all of our N scale production will be in the new factories so things won't take nearly as long to produce.

But please, continue to criticize our release schedule without having any knowledge of what's going on behind the scenes.  And I'll go tell Carey Price how he could have saved that one New York goal tonight.  :D

-Jason

Okay Jason and Mike, here is the the perfect example of my issue with all the great info you provide.  Mike says January for a finished sample and your saying change of factory and sample in June.  This is the same post and within what 24-48 hours.  This is a six month difference.....

And again keep in mind I am frustrated because I have cash to spend on your products and no products to buy.  I will never complain about your foobie cars with awesome paint schemes, or the choice of Canadian prototypes. 
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2014, 05:37:51 PM »
Did you consider that Jason speaks to our factory on the weekend while I do not? So; in fact you are frustrated because a manufacturer thought to provide an up to the minute update to the customer base... I guess we shouldn't do that.
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

CodyO

• Crew
  • Cody Orr-SPF
  • Respect: +194
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2014, 05:42:12 PM »
I like the up to the min updates and don`t mind delays I know its not easy and it happens.

Keep up the good work rapido!
Modeling the Pennsylvania Middle Division in late 1954
             Nothing Will Stop The US Air Force