Author Topic: New layout plans.  (Read 15160 times)

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +607
    • The Modern PRR
Re: New layout plans.
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2014, 04:11:26 AM »
Reach police!  Are you sure that you want to be reaching over the yard, which you say that you want crowded with cars, to spot cars at industries?  I foresee much rerailing with this plan.
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

nscalemike

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2014, 05:36:29 AM »
I think you are moving in the right direction!  Is the designed to be tucked into a corner or do you have access to all sides?  I can't remember if you had said either way.  If it is against the wall then you will need to be awful low to reach over the yard and buildings to switch the back, but if it is open, then your good.  Second, while I agree a through yard is the most prototypical, you would probably be better served making 1 A/D track and the rest stub tracks.  I'm not sure where the 50" for your shortest yard track is coming from, I don't even see that being your longest track, 18"-45" is what I measure.  Stubbing those three tracks would give you at least 36" on each one, depending how far you take them towards the main. 

Don't worry about it being too easy to build trains.  You easily have a 2 hour op session with this plan, which probably keep you busy enough.  Remember, prototype wanted easy, easy for you is ok too, you just want to be entertained for a while.  You can do that with easy track arraignments.

ScrewySqrl

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2014, 09:33:29 AM »
Reach police!  Are you sure that you want to be reaching over the yard, which you say that you want crowded with cars, to spot cars at industries?  I foresee much rerailing with this plan.

I think you are moving in the right direction!  Is the designed to be tucked into a corner or do you have access to all sides?  I can't remember if you had said either way.  If it is against the wall then you will need to be awful low to reach over the yard and buildings to switch the back, but if it is open, then your good.  Second, while I agree a through yard is the most prototypical, you would probably be better served making 1 A/D track and the rest stub tracks.  I'm not sure where the 50" for your shortest yard track is coming from, I don't even see that being your longest track, 18"-45" is what I measure.  Stubbing those three tracks would give you at least 36" on each one, depending how far you take them towards the main. 

Don't worry about it being too easy to build trains.  You easily have a 2 hour op session with this plan, which probably keep you busy enough.  Remember, prototype wanted easy, easy for you is ok too, you just want to be entertained for a while.  You can do that with easy track arraignments.

as for reach: Its easy enough to swap the industry and yard position (will post a picture when  I get back from work).

As for the 50" length, there are 10 snap track sections on the longest yard length (the A/D track, which can double as a passing siding), 5" x10=50 inches.  The other two are 11 segments and 14 segments plus some short pieces.

And no comments on my Industry names?

I might also put back Hugo Phillips Fuel and Oil.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 10:29:20 AM by ScrewySqrl »

packers#1

• Crew
  • Modern Shortline Modeler
  • Respect: +493
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2014, 10:55:33 AM »
I think you're moving in the right direction as well, stubbing the yard tracks will give you some more space there for sure.
Sawyer Berry
Clemson University graduate, c/o 2018
American manufacturing isn’t dead, it’s just gotten high tech

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +607
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2014, 01:06:06 PM »
You can swap the position of the yard and industries, but that just means you have to reach all the way across the layout to work the yard. Also not much fun. Would it be possible to pull the layout away from the wall on that side so that you have access to both the yard and industry sides? Failing that, what about moving the industrial area to inside the loop at the end of the layout. That way it's accessible from the side (past the yard) or end.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 01:13:17 PM by eric220 »
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

ScrewySqrl

• Crew
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2014, 04:15:48 PM »
You can swap the position of the yard and industries, but that just means you have to reach all the way across the layout to work the yard. Also not much fun. Would it be possible to pull the layout away from the wall on that side so that you have access to both the yard and industry sides? Failing that, what about moving the industrial area to inside the loop at the end of the layout. That way it's accessible from the side (past the yard) or end.

not really.  Yard has to go on the long side,a nd I'm pressed for space to fit another industry on teh right as it is.  I'm going to have to reach over something somewhere

I won't have access to the very back, but will have access to the short sides.

ristooch

• Crew
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2014, 04:52:05 PM »

I might also put back Hugo Phillips Fuel and Oil.

Omerta Concrete is certainly clever. I haven't decoded the other ones.
Model on,
Paul Ristuccia

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2014, 04:53:02 PM »

Robinson's Plastics --- straight out of (obscurely) The Graduate with Dustin Hoffman? Or maybe not...

Hmm... I wasn't even
born yet when that
movie came out...

« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 04:59:04 PM by Kisatchie »
Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

Bsklarski

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
    • B&M Conn River Line
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2014, 06:02:36 PM »
Yes sir, your going in the right direction. Why not tie that yard lead into the main up there? Makes sense. Even add a cross over on the other end too and you have a lead / siding
Brian Sklarski
Engineer, New England Central Railroad

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Boston-Maine-Conn-River-Line/173358446076160

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2014, 07:42:02 PM »
Yeah, I'd go with a stub yard, and gain more yard capacity.

ScrewySqrl

• Crew
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2014, 08:08:51 PM »
here we go, with the yard in the back.

remember, I'll have access along the side, an even from the front, the yard is a max 28 inch reach.

I like this arrangement of my 9 industries  the roads (sketchily drawn with the RTS 'wire' tool) just sort of were obvious with this placement.  some trimming here ad there could really look organic of the roads.  and there's room for parking lots too.

ScrewySqrl

• Crew
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2014, 08:22:14 PM »
As for the industries, its a mix of puns and name portmanteaus.

Omerta Concrete: From the Mafia secrecy and 'concrete overshoes'
Hugo Phillips: pun, 'You go fill up'
Conner Voyas: pun, 'Convoy'
Qual-Cyntel Micro: portmanteau of Qualcomm, Cyrix, Intel, and Advanced Micro Devices
S . P. & Jones: from Dow Chemical, derived from the stock market. names are a portmantau of S&P and Dow-Jones
Dan Gill: another portmanteau from Archer-Daniels-Midland and Cargill Foods
Krestle: yet another portmanteau; Kraft and Nestle
Robinson's: From The Graduate ad its second most famous line: 'One word: Plastics'
ACME: the worl's leader in creative mayhem (and mangled Coyotes) since 1947.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 08:24:43 PM by ScrewySqrl »

Jeff AKA St0rm

• Crew
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2014, 09:51:12 PM »
I like where this is going now. It has come a long way from the first plan.

MVW

• Crew
  • Respect: +350
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2014, 10:11:58 PM »
Congratulations on taking feedback and running with it to improve your plan. Here's my two cents:

You say you have a max reach of 28 inches. That may be longer than you think when it comes time to actually operate the railroad. It certainly was for me.

I built something similar to your second-to-most-recent plan, with the yard in front and industries along the back of the HCD. I had a passing siding at 27 inches from the front that would be the site of frequent coupling and uncoupling. Once I started regular operations it quickly became evident that's too far for me.

I'm 6-foot-1, and my layout is at 48 inches height. YMMV based on your situation, but I would suggest "practicing" some coupling and uncoupling at 28 inches to see if you find it comfortable. It would be a shame for you to spend all the time and money required to build this layout, only to have to scrap it or make major alterations.

(Fortunately, I've since moved to a place that allows me access to both sides of my layout, so all is cool in my universe.  :D)

Good luck!

Jim

ScrewySqrl

• Crew
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2014, 10:53:02 PM »
Congratulations on taking feedback and running with it to improve your plan. Here's my two cents:

You say you have a max reach of 28 inches. That may be longer than you think when it comes time to actually operate the railroad. It certainly was for me.

I built something similar to your second-to-most-recent plan, with the yard in front and industries along the back of the HCD. I had a passing siding at 27 inches from the front that would be the site of frequent coupling and uncoupling. Once I started regular operations it quickly became evident that's too far for me.

I'm 6-foot-1, and my layout is at 48 inches height. YMMV based on your situation, but I would suggest "practicing" some coupling and uncoupling at 28 inches to see if you find it comfortable. It would be a shame for you to spend all the time and money required to build this layout, only to have to scrap it or make major alterations.

(Fortunately, I've since moved to a place that allows me access to both sides of my layout, so all is cool in my universe.  :D)

Good luck!

Jim

Thanks Jim.  I wasn't saying I have a max reach of 28". just that it is the longest reach to a turnout or yard track.  I'll be operating at a 30-32" height depending on foam thickness, usually seated.  Thus I can stand up and Easily reach the back, since the layout is about waist-high when standing.