Author Topic: 3D Print Medium  (Read 1247 times)

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
  • Respect: +153
3D Print Medium
« on: September 25, 2014, 03:30:38 PM »
Can styrene plastic be used as a medium in 3D printing?

Doug

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: 3D Print Medium
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 03:45:48 PM »
Don't think so.  Don't think I'd want it to be either.

Unless I've missed something, plastics are out, we're just waiting for Stereolithography (SLA) resin (cured by light) printers to hit with the right resolution and price (which may already be here for some).

Something like the B9Creator looks tempting.

Jason

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4590
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 03:55:00 PM »
And I thought this thread was about a clairvoyant people....  ;)

Styrene (polystyrene) is a thermoplastic. As such, I don't see why it couldn't be used in the printers which print using melted plastic filament. But those are rather crude (resolution wise).  Actually, that type of a 3D printer is relatively inexpensive and already available to hobbyists (or you can even build your own).  I think Micro-Mark sells one.
. . . 42 . . .

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1240
    • Modutrak
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 04:24:34 PM »
Don't think so.  Don't think I'd want it to be either.

Unless I've missed something, plastics are out, we're just waiting for Stereolithography (SLA) resin (cured by light) printers to hit with the right resolution and price (which may already be here for some).

Something like the B9Creator looks tempting.

Jason

Looks to be a Perfactory style for cheap:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/362246155/littlerp-affordable-flexible-open-3d-resin-printer

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 04:33:28 PM »
Looks to be a Perfactory style for cheap:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/362246155/littlerp-affordable-flexible-open-3d-resin-printer

Yeah, I've seen that one too.  What I haven't seen is any of these actually out with people using them.  I'm wondering if the nature of these companies and how fast the technology is moving if time is going to stand still long enough to really produce any of these machines (beyond backing).  IOW, who's going to stop developing the next machine to spend time manufacturing and distributing the current ones for a period of time?

I'm very curious what HP is planning to bring to the table.  Hopefully there will be some sort of announcement soon after their fiscal year (October).

Jason