Author Topic: Railcar experts...best model for Golden West Service 89' flat  (Read 1061 times)

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
    • ShastaRails.com
Railcar experts...best model for Golden West Service 89' flat
« on: September 22, 2014, 01:46:30 AM »
I'd like to model this Golden West Service flat car CRLE 830006 and am looking for the best N scale flatcar for the project. Here are a couple prototype photos:

Doing some research, Eric Neubauer's excellent GWS resource shows that the original number was SP 515565 in series SP 515550-515649. Class F-70-67 built by ACF in 1973.
It then entered the Golden West Service rebuild program (1991) and became CRLE 830006 and seems to be one of the few that were repainted blue (most were red).

Would the Atlas car be the closest prototype?
http://www.atlasrr.com/NFreight/n89flatcar.html

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +290
Re: Railcar experts...best model for Golden West Service 89' flat
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 07:09:57 AM »
http://www.railgoat.railfan.net/spcars/byclass/flat/f070-67.htm

Apparently built 8/73, so it would appear to be a good match for the Atlas documentation. Sill details etc would be the same - I'm not sure whether the TOFC deck (rub rails in particular) would be very different from the auto rack deck....but there's probably a photo of an 'rack deck somewhere.

As this photo is also on my must-model list, I'd love to see photos of the deck...but GWS photos of that era are as hard to find of good photos of Espee 89' flats in TOFC or general service photos.

Have you seen any photos of the red versions Ryan?

Most documentation I've read suggests that the jacking pads are the best (and only) way to differentiate between the PS/Bethlehem/ACF 89' flats, I wouldn't get too hung up on Atlas VS MTL (both ACF flats) and use whats on hand (or easiest to strip, clear the deck of, or attach your risers to).   
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 09:53:37 AM »
Go with the MTL car, much easier to remove the rub rails as I think they are cast into the metal deck of the Atlas model.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 10:17:06 AM »
Interesting, looks like they've added stake pockets near the ends of the car as well when rebuilt.

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +830
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 10:32:21 AM »
The lifting/jacking points appear to be a dead-on match to the Atlas car.

sp org div

• Crew
  • Respect: +35
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 11:14:21 AM »
You puttin together a Napa Pipe unit train Ryan?    8)

Jeff
http://espeeoregondivision.blogspot.com/

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
    • ShastaRails.com
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 12:50:17 PM »
Thanks for the help guys. I have an undec Atlas flat and at least one undec of the MTL 89' flats. I'll dig them out and see what it'll take on each. I'd love to build a Napa pipe train but this will be a smaller project for now. It started while looking through photos of Golden West Service equipment and I realized that we have new manufacturers in the market since I last looked at the project. Just trying to add more GWS blue. Based on the usage, it looks like the pipe loading hardware from BLMA might be appropriate.

I think I've seen photos of the red CRLE flats...I'll see what I find to post here.