Author Topic: KATO UP FEF official announcement  (Read 14334 times)

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1254
Re: KATO UP FEF official announcement
« Reply #75 on: September 12, 2014, 04:33:42 PM »
Several questions just got answered by Kato USA in this TRW post.  Take a look...  https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=33950.0

I had a big smile on my face during the entire video.  However, the questions we've had about the oil bunker have been answered and it is NOT a 1950's design, but a later excursion service design, so 1950's modelers might want to modify this to the much simpler pre-EPA filler cap and vent.

I'll be posting photos of the 833's oil bunker now that I know I'm going to need them.  Gotta get the museum staff to either approve or look the other way while I crawl up on top with my camera and measuring tape.

I was especially impressed with the ease in which Kato has designed accessibility into this model.  The boiler shell couldn't be much easier to remove, the circuit board too...and the tender shell just snaps off.  WOW!!

Also, it runs excellently as the video shows.

I can't wait!!

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2098
« Reply #76 on: September 12, 2014, 04:34:16 PM »
A friend sent me this www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBEeNdMQJFs Kato video . You get the big size video this way .
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 04:52:19 PM by up1950s »

Richie Dost

Norway2112

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2014, 01:36:02 PM »
Kato has posted more pictures, this time of the water tenders.  Go to thier website www.katousa.com and click on the link for the September pre-production photos.

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2098
« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2014, 02:18:35 AM »
Forward most tender wheel has taken flight . Looks aligned so I suspect the drawbar or wires . Something to eyeball for free vert and horz flex before plopin' on the rails .http://www.katousa.com/N/FEF/pics/FEF3-Tender.jpg

Richie Dost

Leggy

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2014, 02:38:39 AM »
Possibly just sat on the rails funny, some Kato rolling stock (Japan prototype) that I've got does similar, just sits a bit up the flange if it's sat on the rails a bit funny.

Other shots show the front bogie sitting flat so who knows, bearing in mind it's a pre production sample it could also not be assembled quite right for that shot.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 02:41:21 AM by Leggy »

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1254
« Reply #80 on: September 20, 2014, 06:45:41 AM »
Although I really like the overall detail and "look" of this model (I think they've really captured the character of the engine), close-up photos tell me I'm gonna have to scrape some cast-on piping off and replace it with brass rod.

That's okay.  It's part of the fun for me.

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +907
« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2014, 02:01:48 AM »
Parts diagram has been posted.. Shows where allowances were made in the tooling for alternate parts.

http://www.katousa.com/N/FEF/maintenance.html

Looks like it won't be hard to:
- Back date the tender
- Modify or tool a single/triple stack
- alternate smoke box fronts

Looks Cool.~IAN
~Ian

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #82 on: October 21, 2014, 12:47:55 PM »
New poster for shiny things.

Jason

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
« Reply #83 on: October 21, 2014, 12:58:14 PM »
Oh, gawd... that business car is HOT! I want one! Maybe I can sneak buying the full car set past the CFO, since Kato so far (...I think...) has not been releasing separates (example - the COLA set). Heck, she might not even question it once I hand her the 844 - she'll just be all giddy.

Delivery in the next two months? Incredible.

EspeeGoldenState

• Crew
  • Respect: +107
    • Modern Southern Pacific
« Reply #84 on: October 21, 2014, 07:17:10 PM »
Oh, gawd... that business car is HOT! I want one! Maybe I can sneak buying the full car set past the CFO, since Kato so far (...I think...) has not been releasing separates (example - the COLA set). Heck, she might not even question it once I hand her the 844 - she'll just be all giddy.

Delivery in the next two months? Incredible.

My CFO has already claimed my train, heck by time I'm done putting it together (21 car train atm), I'm going to have to try to talk her about trading the Daylight for it. Too bad they wont sell the power car separately, as both 208 and 209 look the same; same could be said for the dome-lounge-observation from the CoLA as I'm still looking for one of those.

Chris
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 07:19:42 PM by EspeeGoldenState »
Attempting to model a modern Southern Pacific based in 2015/2016...

Also, I have a passenger train addiction...

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
« Reply #85 on: October 21, 2014, 07:27:27 PM »
Glad to hear of others in a similar pickle. Many of the folks here have already seen this, but this explains why the 844 is "hers" in our household:

She knows it's coming some day, but she doesn't know yet it's likely to be her Christmas present.

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
« Reply #86 on: October 21, 2014, 11:25:34 PM »
I am so effing screwed. :D
Peter Pfotenhauer

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #87 on: October 21, 2014, 11:29:09 PM »
I certainly don't need one of these, but I do want one steam engine with sound.  I was hoping it would be the FVM Hiawatha, but they keep not releasing it after they said 'next week' about 6 months ago.  If there's a Loksound sound decoder for this first, I may have to bite.  I know it would be my son's favorite.

Jason

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1241
    • Modutrak
« Reply #88 on: October 22, 2014, 11:22:40 AM »
I certainly don't need one of these, but I do want one steam engine with sound.  I was hoping it would be the FVM Hiawatha, but they keep not releasing it after they said 'next week' about 6 months ago.  If there's a Loksound sound decoder for this first, I may have to bite.  I know it would be my son's favorite.

Jason

The second run of FVM Hi's was released awhile ago... and sold out fast.  I think you just missed them.

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #89 on: October 22, 2014, 11:27:53 AM »
The second run of FVM Hi's was released awhile ago... and sold out fast.  I think you just missed them.

I have the engine, I'm waiting for the Loksound Micro Select decoder.  I  know I could get a blank and have it loaded with the sound file (right?), but they had a sample of the HO decoder at the Rocky Mountain Toy Train Show earlier this year and said the Micro Select would be out 'next week'.  The also gave me a brochure and circled the part number for exactly what I was looking for and then haven't released it.  I called before the National Show and got a similar story about it being eminent.

Jason