Author Topic: Weekend Update 7/27/14  (Read 10185 times)

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5404
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Weekend Update 7/27/14
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2014, 10:02:58 AM »
Renovated a DPM building to make it a nice 1960s era haberdashery.

Also been working on laying out the blocks on the Canton, Highlandtown and Fell's Point.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +147
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2014, 11:27:52 AM »
Some rolling stock projects moved off the table.  First up was a pair of MTL auto boxcars deco'd for Pennsy.  The ride height is fairly good on these models and the offset bolster hole trucks have close to correct alignment, so minimal work included swapping in Trainworx ASF A-3 trucks with FVM wheels to match the prototype and body-mounted #1016 couplers.

I noticed after the fact that the roofwalks need to be changed.  One is "wood" and the other is "metal."  I have to check the prototype to see what is appropriate, and then swap in either FVM laser-cut wood roofwalks or one of the etched steel roofwalks.

My last project completed was one that's been in the works for a couple of years, and for whatever reason I hadn't finished it off until now.  It's a Trainman 50' boxcar with the most clunky details updated.

New Universal brakewheel, etched stirrups, etched roofwalk and wire roof grabs.  Old roofwalk holes were filled and shaped to match the stamped roof pattern.  The cutout for coupler swing in the ends was filled with styrene and shaped to match the stamped end pattern.  The inside of the floor was modified to push the car up to a better ride height.  Body was masked so that the existing graphics were protected while the modified areas were painted.  Body-mounted couplers and metal wheels to finish.  Now it fits in with the higher-end models.  My paint shade was slightly off from the Atlas paint, but when I eventually weather the car it will be unnoticeable.
Thanks for the how to! 8) I have a decent number of these cars and continue to aquire them here and there and have thought of doing some detail work on some of them as these models are overall pretty good, getting a few of the next batch ICG and reading for sure.

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2014, 12:36:31 PM »
Renovated a DPM building to make it a nice 1960s era haberdashery.

Also been working on laying out the blocks on the Canton, Highlandtown and Fell's Point.

Lee

I wonder if the phrase Dashing Gentleman is rooted in haberdashery ? Like the display in the window Lee . Maybe there is a lesson to be learned here , have the stores sell things large enough so as their product placement in the windows are big enough to be easily identified without having to read the store sign .

Richie Dost

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4210
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2014, 02:50:23 PM »
Does anyone make a 50T ASF A-3?      I suspect that you meant BLMA here rather than Trainworx , as I don't see any A-3 trucks for sale, or even any cars that should have 50T trucks of any kind, on the Trainworx web site.   I know BLMA makes an A-3, but it's a 70T, and you've mentioned using them in the past.    Are the 70T trucks indistinguishable (in N-scale) from 50T?

No, I meant Trainworx. The truck side frames are the same as those used for the BLMA trucks. But because Trainworx cars were designed to use MTL trucks, the bolster beam parameters of their trucks match the MTL design. So they are good for the handful of MTL models that ride at the correct height and that compensate properly for the bolster hole offset.

I'm sure there is a difference between the 50 ton and 70 ton design, but I don't know how noticeable it is.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

dick green

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2014, 03:48:02 PM »
Spent the day on this, but now I think I'm done for the day

Dick

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +993
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2014, 04:08:42 PM »
No, I meant Trainworx. The truck side frames are the same as those used for the BLMA trucks. But because Trainworx cars were designed to use MTL trucks, the bolster beam parameters of their trucks match the MTL design. So they are good for the handful of MTL models that ride at the correct height and that compensate properly for the bolster hole offset.

I'm sure there is a difference between the 50 ton and 70 ton design, but I don't know how noticeable it is.

I just learned something,  Second time today, must be a good day,
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

ChrisKLAS

• Crew
  • Respect: +37
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2014, 08:55:11 PM »
I finished weathering and ballasting the track inside tunnel 9, then built the tunnel liner, crudely attached the as-of-yet unpainted tunnel portals, and put up a temporary view block under the loop just to try to get a better sense of how the scene will look once base scenery is down. I'm really happy with how I think it's going to look!

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1529
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2014, 09:20:37 PM »
Yeah, ok Chris - between you, Gary, and DKS ( to say nothing of the other Canucks) I'm done.  Back to underwater basket weaving. :facepalm:
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +147
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2014, 09:30:19 PM »
Love the layout that is so prototypical weathered cars everywhere and you kept the camera still so I could watch the train 8) Keep up the great work.

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2014, 10:18:05 PM »
Everything is slowly coming along!

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2014, 03:19:48 AM »

I looked around for Trainworx trucks like Nickleplate did.  Is the only way to get them by buying a Trainworx car and swapping?  The Trainworx site didn't make it too easy to find which cars used their own truck. Most listed MTL trucks and couplers.
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2014, 04:42:23 AM »
I looked around for Trainworx trucks like Nickleplate did.  Is the only way to get them by buying a Trainworx car and swapping?  The Trainworx site didn't make it too easy to find which cars used their own truck. Most listed MTL trucks and couplers.

Pat will sell parts separately, however have to contact him.

bnsfdash8

• Crew
  • Respect: +1306
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2014, 08:01:12 AM »
Over the course of last week and this weekend I gto NS 2510 painted and decaled.

Reese
Modeling Norfolk Southern one loco at a time.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4210
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2014, 12:20:19 PM »

All Trainworx rolling stock is now equipped with the FVM/Trainworx ASF trucks and the MTL-clone couplers.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2014, 02:06:19 PM »
I finished weathering and ballasting the track inside tunnel 9, then built the tunnel liner, crudely attached the as-of-yet unpainted tunnel portals, and put up a temporary view block under the loop just to try to get a better sense of how the scene will look once base scenery is down. I'm really happy with how I think it's going to look!

Drool Icon....  Drool Icon.... where is the Drool Icon....?     Aha, here it is:   :drool:  :drool:  :drool:

(Pavlov,  you say?  Never heard of him...  was he a Tehachapi modeler?)  :D :D

Ed
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 02:11:57 PM by ednadolski »