Author Topic: Rapido FL9 in N announced  (Read 14701 times)

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +907
Re: Rapido FL9 in N announced
« Reply #90 on: July 29, 2014, 11:53:03 PM »
To help get the page count to 25, which seems needed for actual construction to begin, what new improvements will the jewel box have?

:D :o :lol: :trollface: :facepalm: :tommann:

Ahhh but what if it didn't come in a jewel box... what if it came in a wood box?.....  or a lucite box...  or an aluminum box.... or a sand box....?

~Ian

~Ian

Leggy

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #91 on: July 30, 2014, 12:30:27 AM »
What if it comes in a mystery box?  :trollface:

PROPULDUDE

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #92 on: July 30, 2014, 02:20:53 AM »
If it doesn't come out running well and looking good , A Cat Box might be appropriate.

pjm20

• Crew
  • Modeling the Bellefonte Central
  • Respect: +141
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #93 on: July 30, 2014, 08:50:48 AM »
What if it comes in a mystery box?  :trollface:

Peter
Modeling the Bellefonte Central Railroad circa 1953
PRRT&HS #8862
Live Steam Enthusiast

Check out my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/PennsyModeler

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +907
« Reply #94 on: July 30, 2014, 08:53:12 AM »
~Ian

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #95 on: July 30, 2014, 09:42:16 AM »
All the negative waves.... it's a wonder anyone voluntarily ventures into these unfriendly waters of N scale product development and announcements.....

"But we're a hearty bunch of N-Pirates so we'll face the cannons and commentary of ye scurvy bunch o' cut throats......................." :D
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +597
« Reply #96 on: July 30, 2014, 01:29:49 PM »
Bryan and Gary were using a guy name Conrad that made tremendously good castings.

Actually, it's Konrad.
The very same man who owned/operated Camden & Amboy models.
I actually have a leftover gondola casting from some other work that he did for ESM.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4193
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #97 on: July 30, 2014, 01:57:32 PM »
C&A didn't do any work for ESM.  Konrad had done some personal stuff for me (as Ron stated), and I built some masters for him — all decades ago — but he never was contracted to do any work for the ESM.  Konrad made castings of the body for my original NE6 cabooses, which I retired when the Atlas model was released.  That was the only item that was done to completion.  All of my interaction with Konrad pre-dates ESM.

The early years of ESM revolved around limited runs of existing plastic, and there were no gondolas of any kind prior to the G26.  The Keyser Valley caboose was the first polyurethane item ever offered by ESM.

Here's an old photo of one of the cabooses.  They were good stand-ins prior to the Atlas model.  I actually have no idea where these models are at this point.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 02:05:23 PM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
« Reply #98 on: July 30, 2014, 02:45:48 PM »
C&A didn't do any work for ESM.  Konrad had done some personal stuff for me (as Ron stated), and I built some masters for him — all decades ago — but he never was contracted to do any work for the ESM.  Konrad made castings of the body for my original NE6 cabooses, which I retired when the Atlas model was released.  That was the only item that was done to completion.  All of my interaction with Konrad pre-dates ESM.

The early years of ESM revolved around limited runs of existing plastic, and there were no gondolas of any kind prior to the G26.  The Keyser Valley caboose was the first polyurethane item ever offered by ESM.

Here's an old photo of one of the cabooses.  They were good stand-ins prior to the Atlas model.  I actually have no idea where these models are at this point.

That makes better sense. I was just going from what Konrad had told me on a couple of different occasions, and what I had seen on a few different C&A documents he still has around.
The gondola I have, from what I was told, is a G26. It does match up in length with the ESM one I have.

Tired.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4193
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #99 on: July 30, 2014, 04:40:20 PM »
I forgot about that one.  It's not a G26.  It's a Con-Cor gondola stretched to 65' to represent a Lehigh Valley prototype.
There also was a Kadee (MTL) 50' gondola with fixed ends modified from the drop-end straight-side model, done long before MTL released their fixed-end models.

All of those were done before your time.  Literally.  So that's how long ago it was.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1762
    • My website
« Reply #100 on: July 30, 2014, 04:53:15 PM »
Sorry for the mis-spelling.

Konrad did these U18Bs for us (I did the master).

This is his casting (and my walkway).
The corrugated grills came out perfect.

I was heartbroken years ago when Bryan said he wasn't doing any more work.

Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
« Reply #101 on: July 30, 2014, 05:38:19 PM »
I forgot about that one.  It's not a G26.  It's a Con-Cor gondola stretched to 65' to represent a Lehigh Valley prototype.
There also was a Kadee (MTL) 50' gondola with fixed ends modified from the drop-end straight-side model, done long before MTL released their fixed-end models.

All of those were done before your time.  Literally.  So that's how long ago it was.

A lot was done before my time. I have one of each castings, just haven't done anything with them yet.
My friend Christian has at least 5 or so of each.

No worries. You're not the first one to do that, and you certainly won't be the last.  :D
Where I work, he is know by his middle name, so I confuse everyone when I refer to him by his first name.

As for his casting work, the torch is sooner or later going to be passed to me.
As he always says to me, "You're the one who is supposed to be doing this [casting] now. I'm trying to get out of it."

Tired.

ChristianJDavis1

• Crew
  • I almost killed DKS.
  • Respect: +225
« Reply #102 on: July 30, 2014, 08:13:41 PM »

I wish he had some of those last time I was over there! The U18b has been one of my favorite prototypes ever since seeing the SRNJ's 1801 (recently scrapped) in Pleasantville, NJ a few years back.

Cody, you are close. I have five of the mill gondolas and three of the fixed-end gondolas. I also have one of his older PRR H30 covered hoppers that I am supposed to be making a better roof for (the current one I made is not really up to today's standards).
- Christian J. Davis

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #103 on: February 19, 2015, 07:23:55 PM »
So; the factory sends you the "next" version of the N scale FL9 off the changes made to the moulds. Now; they didn't make all the changes you asked for because a/ some get made at the very end, ie: rivets and b/ they either misunderstood the change requested or  they didn't change something right/enough for your tastes..... The question is; do you show your Railwire buddies.....? Ah, what the hell.....

So; the battens and rivets are yet to be fixed... they are still grapefruits but that's a last change thing.....

The mould lines are making the nose look horrid; haven't rounded and buffed yet... they'll go.....

The black number boards look like stand outs.... needs work....

Ok; what else gang?..... Hey' it's coming along......
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
« Reply #104 on: February 19, 2015, 07:35:31 PM »
Hey, at least wash the windows before a public showing  :ashat: