Author Topic: Ballard Why v2.0  (Read 13181 times)

x600

• Crew
  • Respect: +119
Re: Ballard Why v2.0
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2014, 02:12:30 AM »
Wow. it's been a challenge getting the track laid across the West Why. Keeping the track centers right on while working the Dbl Slips and turnouts into the mix was a tedious process.
But I made progress slowly. Having only a few hours here and there, the last week, has at least allowed me to bite off only small chunks at a time.
I started from the joiner track at the left side of the West Why and worked from the inside out. Having this inside track straight and on center line was critical as the next three outer tracks would be
checked off of this one. Getting the slips and turnouts in the right spot was a bit of trial and error. I wanted this track to as flat and straight as I could get it, because if it isn't, and we have problems
when it's running, I'll hear about it. No Pressure! :scared:
Here's a view from the west end as I'm knee deep into it. One thing I'm working on now is to place tools across the tracks when I put them down. I've been spending more time looking for that
&^%$$# file, or nail set then actually laying track. Use a tool, move it to the right, set it across the tracks or cork

Here's the completed lower track on the West Why from the left side. It took a bit to get this far. The Tortoise Switch Machines are lined up to be installed next.

Here's the right end of the West Why where it will join with the East Why. I'm using PC board strips at the joint to eliminate joiner track. I used them at the joint with the Yard Throat also.
This will require a real positive and careful alinement issue when all three sections are assembled. I think I have the answer, and I'll address that before I separate the modules.

Looking back to the left side at the junction track. My MOW cars are sitting on the Blue line waiting their next move.
I still have to install the Kato bridge and one section of track on the Green line. I'll attach that next, then do all the PC board end joints at the same time.

In the above photo, it all looks nice and neet.
This is where everything ended up, on the East Why. I hope to get some time to dive into this mess soon. I did get two new rail nippers, and it made a big difference.
The one pair is the short stubby kind that you can reach right down while the track is in place and make a nice clean cut. I know you can do that with the
standard nipper, but it looked like a good idea, and they work great when you need to fit a piece in between turnouts or wand to nip the ends off at the joint.

Thanks for looking. and I'll take any and all words of encouragement, comments, suggestions, thoughts or insults :D

Greg O.

Jrbenny2

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
    • Mt Rainier N Scale
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2014, 10:54:57 PM »
http://therailwire.net/forum/Smileys/classic/cool.gif
Thanks, again, for the care and craftsmanship you're investing in the New Ballard Why (NBY). 
This will serve us well for a very long time.

Remember, NITGFMRNS

x600

• Crew
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2014, 01:03:00 AM »
Finally after an unexpected trip back east, I was able to finish the track work, and tortoise installation.
Last weekend at the Tacoma Rail Open house, the why sections and the yard throat module were handed off to JR Benny and his band of merry sparkmiesters.
I'll goat him into posting pictures of the progress. There should be some interesting and cool electronic applications to view.
When all the components have been smoke tested, we'll transfer them back here to have the scenery and details added.
HEY JOHN, POST SOME PICTURES, WILL YA !!??
There, that oughta do it.
Greg O.

Visit us at mrns.org  Many recent updates to our website.   

Jrbenny2

• Crew
    • Mt Rainier N Scale
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2014, 11:15:02 PM »
The wiring the two sections of the Ballard Why has begun in earnest.  As with the current version of the Why, these two sections are mirror images of each of and can be operated semi-independently, allowing simultaneous train routing in and out of the Hazelton Yard on each half of the Why.

West Section, Ballard Why
Wiring progresses on the west section with all track feeders, Tortoise, NTrak buss, and relays wired.  Control wiring is in place and routed back to the control panel area. 

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Here's a detail shot of the relay mounts, Tortoise wiring, and track wiring.  The tortoise switch motors are being used to route frog power for the Peco ElectroFrog turnouts and double slip switches and to provide position indication for the control panel schematic track diagram.  Track power for each section is routed by the relays as determined by a control panel (not yet constructed).

East Section, Ballard Why
The East Section wiring is just in the preliminary stages with all track feeders dropped and components being set.

Coming Soon --  actual electrons will be moving through the Why
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 11:19:16 PM by Jrbenny2 »

x600

• Crew
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2014, 02:03:36 AM »
Nice work, It's starting to look like somethings going on under there. Can't wait to plug them in to R2D2 and smoke test the relays ! :D

Greg O.

Jrbenny2

• Crew
    • Mt Rainier N Scale
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2014, 01:32:57 AM »
Hard to see progress here, but really there is  as more point to point wiring was completed today on the West Why and the East Why is now outfitted with all major bits & pieces

Next up is the installation of control panel (s) and the smoke test refered to by the Gentlemen from the South Sound.

x600

• Crew
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2014, 02:31:17 AM »
Thanks for the update, John. Looks like progress to me.
Had a nice op session on the Mud Bay today, met Duncan and his family from Down Under. I did have a few minutes to talk scenery possibilities
with Jim. We're excited about getting the topside finished.
Greg O.

Jrbenny2

• Crew
    • Mt Rainier N Scale
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2014, 07:24:45 PM »

Control panel build starts with a Diode Board, prototype (first article) show here; the main panel is next

More point to point wiring on the first of two sections; the most tedious part of the build

We're still several weeks away from turning the project back to the Scenery Team; our goal is to complete the new Why and have it in Train Festival at the Washington State History Museum over the Christmas break

x600

• Crew
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2014, 01:44:13 AM »
I still get a kick out of the fact that all of this is connected to one (1) rotary switch to make it work.
PFM !

Greg O.

Jrbenny2

• Crew
    • Mt Rainier N Scale
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2014, 10:21:51 PM »
If you don't look behind the curtain . . . . 8)

Jrbenny2

• Crew
    • Mt Rainier N Scale
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2014, 12:00:43 AM »
The two halves of the New Ballard Why are nearing electrical completion.  The West Why is now wired (we think); the East Why is about 75%.  We'll be smoke testing the West Why this week.

Looking to complete East Why in the next week or so; then its on to mating the two halves and testing them with the third module, the Yard Throat.
When the Sparkticians are done, it's back to the Scenic Effects team for some instant Northwest Scenery. 
Next up:  pics of testing the combined New Ballard Why

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1524
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2014, 11:38:42 AM »
And which Seattle FD station are you guys closest to?   8)
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

x600

• Crew
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2014, 01:36:42 AM »
And which Seattle FD station are you guys closest to?   8)

:facepalm:

You think these guys are amateurs?
Note the conveniently located fire extinguisher on the wall behind the module ! I think there is another one on the other wall
with airport fire suppressant foam, just in case.
JRB lives on the uphill side of Ballard Hosed Co. #1, so hours count in an emergency  :lol:

Greg O.

x600

• Crew
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2014, 02:19:26 AM »
JRB, you may want to look into one of these before you plug Artou into the NBY.

http://www.mez.co.uk/lucas.html

Just sayin'......

Greg O.

Thanks for the link Ed K.

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1524
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2014, 09:57:40 AM »
:facepalm:

You think these guys are amateurs?
Note the conveniently located fire extinguisher on the wall behind the module ! I think there is another one on the other wall
with airport fire suppressant foam, just in case.
JRB lives on the uphill side of Ballard Hosed Co. #1, so hours count in an emergency  :lol:

Greg O.

Not to get too far into the weeds, but I always though Ballard Co. 1 was really responsive - provided you were Norwegian and not Danish.  When I lived in Magnolia we always had to offer a garden party to get the guys to come, then the Queen Anne station would roll over to "inspect."

Enough weeds - back to modeling.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B