Author Topic: Happy News: Chemical blackener shipping charges lowered  (Read 2776 times)

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1776
    • Maxcow Online
Happy News: Chemical blackener shipping charges lowered
« on: April 24, 2014, 02:48:36 PM »
I use chemical blackeners made by Jax Industries.  They make a wide variety of blackeners for different metals
in convenient sizes including 2 oz and 1 quart bottles.   I started using these after  Carr's Metal Black seemed to disappear.

In the past, the shipping fees for Jax were horrendous because they had to add on a special $28.50 "hazardous material" fee  (this isn't profit for them; they have to pay it).
They now tell me that the fee is no longer required for shipments under 5 gallons.

So that's good news for us small fish who just want a few ounces to blacken metal train parts.  You can now order a small bottle and pay only normal ground shipping charges.

Baronjutter

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
Re: Happy News: Chemical blackener shipping charges lowered
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 03:16:43 PM »
Interesting!  There was something similar MC Fujiwara swears by but I could never get it in canada.  It was some sort of graphite in an alchohol base.  Is this the same stuff?  ANyone know what I'm talking about?

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 03:22:17 PM »
Can you provide a link to the specific product?  I searched for blackener, blacken, and black on their site and nothing.

EDIT: Hmm, I think there may be multiple Jax's or something...found another differenet domain name that may have what you are talking about...still would like a reference link though.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 03:25:37 PM by Denver Road Doug »
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4591
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 03:29:46 PM »
I received the same email as I ordered few pint bottled of the various blackeners from them in the past.  But, IIRC I didn't have to pay the hazardous material fee because of the small quantity I ordered.

I learned about this company from DKS (I believe in a post here on TRW).  He likes this stuff.

I'm not sure why you can't find the blackeners - there is a section dedicated specifically to them on http://www.jaxchemicals.com/products.html
. . . 42 . . .

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 03:35:00 PM »
I'm not sure why you can't find the blackeners - there is a section dedicated specifically to them on http://www.jaxchemicals.com/products.html

Because if you Google "Jax Industries" (the name used in the original post) you get what may (or may not) be a completely different company. (jax.com)   Go ahead and try to find blackeners on that site.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 03:37:18 PM »
Because if you Google "Jax Industries" (the name used in the original post) you get what may (or may not) be a completely different company. (jax.com)   Go ahead and try to find blackeners on that site.

That's why I provided the  URL in my reply.  :)

EDIT: I just googled for Jax industries and this one gave me a good chuckle.

www.jaxindustries.co.za/

Jax Industries Supplies the Pet care industry with Premium Cat litter, Litter tray bags, litter tray pads, kitty crystals and puppy training pads.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 03:39:50 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 03:46:07 PM »
I learned about this company from DKS (I believe in a post here on TRW).  He likes this stuff.

Yes, that was me. I learned about Jax through a friend who did stained glass work, where it's a well known brand. I like their products because they offer a variety of different effects. And I too just got their email about changes in shipping fees for hazardous chemicals.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 03:48:45 PM »
Yes, that was me. I learned about Jax through a friend who did stained glass work, where it's a well known brand. I like their products because they offer a variety of different effects.

....and it is cheaper (and works better) than the usual blackeners sold by model railroad distributors.
. . . 42 . . .

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 03:49:19 PM »
Also a big deal for those of us in Alaska, were these type of shipments are cost prohibitive. Used to be that you could carry a small bottle of these things in your carry on when flying, but those days are gone as well.

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Baronjutter

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 05:12:12 PM »
Is this the stuff people use on turnouts to blacken and improve conductivity?

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 05:21:01 PM »
Is this the stuff people use on turnouts to blacken and improve conductivity?

No, that would be Neolube No. 2.  I don't know of a good source in Canada though.

Baronjutter

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 05:28:48 PM »
Crap, was hoping the new shipping rules effected that stuff as well.

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2098
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 07:04:49 PM »
A new use for the '50s Nike AJAX missile , international lawn darts filled with JAX headed north .

Richie Dost

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1776
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 08:33:03 PM »
Interesting!  There was something similar MC Fujiwara swears by but I could never get it in canada.  It was some sort of graphite in an alchohol base.  Is this the same stuff?  ANyone know what I'm talking about?

As others have already told you, you want NeoLube.  Can't you order it through Micro-Mark?
(http://www.micromark.com/SearchResult.aspx?deptIdFilter=0&searchPhrase=neolube.  Do they not ship it to Canada for some reason?

Another source is PBL:
http://www.p-b-l.com/    Look through their on-line catalog, category 22, Paints/Cements.
Their website is not easy to use.  But I have ordered the Neolube from them, and they shipped it okay.
Their price is much better.